Why do I need a Sling Box?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

fredbon

Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Southwest
Why do I need a Sling Box?

We travel in our RV and would like to access our receiver at home. The home receiver is connected to the internet and I can access its contents via “My Dish”, however I cannot view the shows. What purpose does the Sling Box serve it its connected to the system through the same broad band connection? Any workarounds?

Fred

The sling adapter uses that broadband connection to put your programming online and adapts it to be viewable. You can see what you have when it is connected to the internet, but to actually watch it, it does require sling technology as well.

I'm assuming you mean DishAnywhere, MyDish is for your account info and billing. With DishAnywhere you can set timers and to view On Demand but you would need the Sling Adapter to view from your receiver's hard drive and live viewing. And since you didn't state which receiver you have, the Sling Adaptor only works with the 722, 922 and Hopper model receivers. Sling Box, which costs alot more may only give you live tv only and not have access to your recordings (I'm not totally sure on this point, but I'm sure people who know for certain will correct me).

What are you trying to use to "see" the receiver at home, a smartphone, tablet, or laptop computer? Also, like has been mentioned previously, what kind of recover do you have? If you have a 922 or a Hopper with Sling, then Sling capability is already built into these boxes and nothing else is needed. Otherwise, if you have a 722, 722K or Hopper 2000 (1st generation), then you can get the Sling adapter for about $50 from Dish to add this capability, (check eBay before you buy from Dish, I got a practically brand new one in the box and everything for my Hopper 2000 for $23 with shipping off of eBay).

Sorry for incomplete/inaccurate information. We have a 722 Receiver and wanted to receive the programming on either laptop or smart TV. It appears there isn't any workaround since the sling box converts the signal.

Thanks

Fred

You need the Sling ADAPTER not box. The adapter plugs into a usb port. The 722 must be connected to the internet. I have an adapter that I no longer need since I now have 2 HWS's.

Sorry for incomplete/inaccurate information. We have a 722 Receiver and wanted to receive the programming on either laptop or smart TV. It appears there isn't any workaround since the sling box converts the signal.

Thanks

Fred

So you have sling and it's not working or you just realized you need a sling? I am so confused

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

@dwarren2, a Sling box would do the trick as well, just wouldn't by supported by dish at all. But yes, sling adapter would be the one that gets the recommendation for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts