Why do people bash Voom? It's great.

Sean, check you link to Facts about HD Lite on E*
Get your facts before you jump to conclusions about who is responsible for HD lite. There are two players involved in this discourse Voom and Dish. All someone needs to do is contact both. Has anyone done that already? This topic has been discussed here for a long time, someone must have done the research. Sean you seem to have connections at both.

I would be supportive of the "These are the days of the DVR" argument, if we had DVRs that could record a lot of HD.

As it is with my limited capacity 622, and given that many of the VOOM programs are only somewhat interesting, I don't mind a fair number of repeats. Although VOOM certainly does press one's limits. I've never seen channels that ran half the repeats that VOOM does.

Sean, check you link to Facts about HD Lite on E*

You really misunderstood the concept of HD Lite. HD Lite is not in the programmer's end (as in this case Voom) but on the provider's end (in this case Dish Network).

P.S. According to your logic, Starz HD, CBS HD, NBC HD, HDnet Movies, etc... and others HD Lite channels on E* are not HD and of course every HD Lite on D* is not HD. The fault is not with the programmer. They send the channels in their native rez but the programmers decided to re-encode them in HD Lite. We are not discussing HD Lite in this topic but to the frequency of repeats. All of these programs originated HD but how they were re-encoded and ended as HD Lite is another story for another topic (which has been discussed to death in this site).

Well I had voom when it was voom. Glad to see dish took over at least some of it. As far as reruns. Ever watch hbo, sho, starz and the rest? Talk about running the same-o old movies...

Attachments

• MosquitoNoiseHD.gif
    MosquitoNoiseHD.gif
    25.2 KB · Views: 125
I do not intent for this become another HD Lite thread but what are the programmers to gain from HD Lite. Is Mark Cuban getting less money when HDnet Movies is downresized to 1280x1080i instead of its native rez of 1920x1080i? No I do not think so. He couldn't careless whether Dish Network or DirecTv downresizes the channel. His only interest is in getting paid for the channel. On the other hand, Dish Network and DirecTv have a major gain by reducing the native resolution of the channel. They both gained bandwith since they are both looking to get more bandwith.

Here's the problem with HD Lite. Once a provider, like Dish Network or DirecTv, downresizes the native resolution of the channel, they will not put it back to its original no matter what bandwith they get. Look at what happened at Dish Network, they recently put 6 channels in MPEG-4 and gain lots of more bandwith without degrading the PQ more. Yet they have not put the native resolution to the channels. Those channels still remain in HD Lite mod. Willl Dish Network put it back some time in the future? History tells us that is very unlikely.

And finally the argument of there is not enough TV with those native resolution to me is just an unacceptable excuse. If they were providing these channels with native resolution why now they are not doing? Because it is in their interest to do so (bandwith saving) and not in the customer interest. We are all doomed by the HD Lite that Directv and Dish Network are plagued with. We will never see True HD anymore on these providers. Thus, as many have said on this forum --- "HD Lite is here to say" and unfortunately has and will become the norm on the satellite providers.

"...The fault is not with the programmer. They send the channels in their native rez ..."

Doesn't Voom send it's programming to Dish today in 1440x1080, just like they transmitted it when they were in business? It still looks good (generally) but some call that HD-lite. I realize E* cuts some down to 1280, and PQ suffers- but aren't they starting with 1440 and not 1920?

"...The fault is not with the programmer. They send the channels in their native rez ..."

Doesn't Voom send it's programming to Dish today in 1440x1080, just like they transmitted it when they were in business? It still looks good (generally) but some call that HD-lite. I realize E* cuts some down to 1280, and PQ suffers- but aren't they starting with 1440 and not 1920?

No.

MonstersHD for example was 1920x1080i for a year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts