Why Do Trees Require 2 Dishes?

ctjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Just got a call frommy Dad. The Dish installer is there and says that my dad has "tree issues" that will require an additional Dish to be installed. He said he could do it for $50.00. Is that legit? Doesn't smell good to me...

Thanks!

:welcome to satguys :welcome

1. dish 500(110 119) or dish 1000(110 119 129)?
2. 2nd dish at 129 61.5 or 148?
3. does your dad intend on having hd?
4. how many rooms did you want hooked up?

I'm not sure about two of those questions-- they don't call us newbies for nuthin! :)

But yes, he is getting the HD package.

Thanks for responding so quickly!

Just got a call frommy Dad. The Dish installer is there and says that my dad has "tree issues" that will require an additional Dish to be installed. He said he could do it for $50.00. Is that legit? Doesn't smell good to me...

Thanks!

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Yes, this could very well be legitimate. DISH sends signals on several satellites. Each has a different azmith from any location. If your father has a large number of trees to the south, he could very well be in the situation where the only place to receive signals from one satellite, say 119 is a different location than the one required to receive signals from the 110 location.

A tech recently suggested this solution to me, I get flawless sat 110 signals, but due to some trees that grew a bit, my 119 signals are way low. He was going to leave one satelite on my chimney to continue receiving the great 110 signals, but install a 2nd Dish at a different location on my roof solely dedicated and in an optimal location for Sat 119. A valid solution, but I didnt want holes drilled in my roof.

JQ

Shoot, I knew the answer to another one and forgot to add it-- yes, he is getting that whole "2nd room off the same box" deal they offer.

Wow, all kinds of responses! Great community here!

So, it sounds like $50.00 is a good deal? Oh, and he will diplex my dad's existing antenna for OTA as well.

I'm not sure about two of those questions-- they don't call us newbies for nuthin! :)

But yes, he is getting the HD package.

Thanks for responding so quickly!
okay so more than likely he wanted dish 1000 110 119 for regular channels and 129 for hidef
im thinking 129 has tree issue.
so my guess is they would put up dish 500 and a dish 300or500 pointing only at 61.5
61.5 has local channels inhidef for some markets

dish 1000 seems to work best in midwest not so well in west, i dont think it works in northeast
which is your dma? ie me minneapolis/st. paul

He's just south of Richmond, VA, in Petersburg.

AFAIK, Dish doesn't offer HD locals there.

That's kind of what I was thinking... what about diplexing the antenna? I'm thinking there should be a charge for that, maybe. But $50.00?

Oh, and he will diplex my dad's existing antenna for OTA as well.

I wouldn't do it. I would if it was just SD, but I just won't diplex an OTA to an HD or a cable modem. Somebody else might, but I'd rather run my own stuff in those two cases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)