Why do watermelons taste so bad these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if you want a really good melon then grow it yourself and do what a good farmer does and fertilize it with straight manure and keep it watered. There is another way involving manure that makes them incredibly sweet but I dont think anyone wants to hear about it.

I am reasonably successful with my garden, but haven't had much success with melons. I haven't access anymore to fresh manure. I gather you are referring to manure tea.

Next watermelon will be seeded. Gotta be a smaller one, big ones will rot before we finish. I remember getting dark green round ones many years ago that were super. Current ones are not the same.

I'd like to. Where is Rush Springs?

Just checked. OK is a bit far.... :(

It's amazing how much I hav learned about watermelons from this thread, researching on the net, and talking to folks at the local farmer's markets. A good rule of thumb is to avoid the grocery stores (especially Wal-Mart) and the seedless variety.

You are making me want to eat watermelon so bad with this thread. The smell gives me a terrible headache, but I still like to eat them. It's been quite awhile since we've had a watermelon. I'm thinking we need to go down to our farmer's market tomorrow and see what they have. :)

I've eaten so much watermelon over the past two-weeks I am almost getting tired of them. Almost. I picked-up a Texas melon yesterday and I plan to cut into it tomorrow. Still looking for that infamous Sugarland watermelon.

Our watermelons are growing in the back yard. Those vines have just about taken over the garden. They grow faster than the weeds. :)

Riff, you need top go to Eastern Market. Got a good one there last Saturday.
Paul, I was there not too long ago...lots of flowers and plants but not much produce until after mid-July. I'll drop by the next time I'm in town.

Attachments

• DSC_0038.JPG
    DSC_0038.JPG
    360.8 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_0041.JPG
    DSC_0041.JPG
    364.3 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC_0049.JPG
    DSC_0049.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC_0055.JPG
    DSC_0055.JPG
    355.1 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_0057.JPG
    DSC_0057.JPG
    355.1 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC_0062.JPG
    DSC_0062.JPG
    354.2 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC_0069.JPG
    DSC_0069.JPG
    412.9 KB · Views: 163
Riff, you need top go to Eastern Market. Got a good one there last Saturday.

Had to laugh. At my wife's insistence, we went to a different Eastern Market, in SE DC, recently. We got panhandled 4 times in the couple of blocks from the Metro station. Won't be back, even though the stuff we bought was quite good.

Had to laugh. At my wife's insistence, we went to a different Eastern Market, in SE DC, recently. We got panhandled 4 times in the couple of blocks from the Metro station. Won't be back, even though the stuff we bought was quite good.
I worked in SE DC (Navy Yard) for a few years but there is no way in heck I would walk the nearby streets after dark. Many people don't realize how bad the neighborhoods are right next door to Congress.

I worked in SE DC (Navy Yard) for a few years but there is no way in heck I would walk the nearby streets after dark. Many people don't realize how bad the neighborhoods are right next door to Congress.
Ah, memories. I went to language school at the Anacostia Annex in 1970-71. Took the AF bus from Andrews every morning down the Suitland Pkwy.

Another bad neighborhood is around the shipyard in Portsmouth VA.

I kinda got feed-up of Watermelon about a month ago...but I had some prettu good ones. Anyway, I picked-up a grocery store bought seedless melon here in VA a couple days ago (it was both cheap and convenient) and it was horrible. Never again! Anyway, I am going to pick-up a couple of melons down in Texas this weekend and I noticed an Internet watermelon slap test. OK, I've slapped melons...but does anyone truly know what a good watermelon sounds like?

"With an open palm, slap the watermelon. A high-pitched tone indicates green or under-ripe product. A dull sound or dead thud indicates an over-ripe melon. A deep-pitched tone indicates a melon that is ripe. Slap a number of melons one after the other and you will be able to hear the differences in tone."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts