Why do watermelons taste so bad these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reviving this thread because I'm getting that hankerin' for some Watermelon and only the crappy/overpriced ones from Mexico are being stocked. Anyway, when can we expect to see some good old southern melons?

I've avoided buying watermelon because they were expensive, didn't look very good, and were from Mexico. My mom picked-up a melon over the holiday and said it was terrible. So when can we expect some good watermelon?

Haven't seen any decent ones at the farmers market or local produce stands here in NC.It has been a very cool,wet spring for most of the south.I would guess some GA and SC watermelons will start showing up in 2 to 3 weeks.

Wow! I actually picked-up a surprisingly good Florida melon from Wal-Mart for $4.88 a few days ago. I figured for $5.00 I could always make smooties in the Vitamix if it wasn't that good. Again, surprised that it was a 7-out-of-10 melon so early in the season.

How To Choose the “RIGHT” Watermelon

Source

• LOOK – Your watermelon should be firm, symmetrical and free of major bruises or scars. Some minor scratches are okay, however. After all, the purpose of that thick rind is to protect the delicious contents inside. Ripe watermelons should also be dark green in color.
  • LIFT – The ripest watermelons have the most water. And since watermelons are 92 percent water, your watermelon should be relatively heavy for its size.
  • TURN – Turn your watermelon over and check out its bottom, which should have a creamy yellow spot (also called “the ground spot”). This is where the watermelon sat on the ground while it soaked up the sun at the farm. If this spot is white or greenish, your watermelon may have been picked too soon and might not be as ripe as it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.