Why do we stay with Dishnetwork????

I'm sorry, but being a noob to Sat, I don't know all the "code words." Can someone explain to me what E* and D* are? Almost every post on this thread contains this. Sorry in advance if this is too basic. Thanks!
icon_biggrin.gif

No problem and welcome aboard!

E* = EchoStar - the parent of Dish.
D* = DirecTV.

Other common acronyms that can cause confusion:
DTV = Digital TV (not DirectTV)
OTA = Over The Air
SD = Standard Definition
HD = High Definition
HDD = Hard Disk Drive
HW or H/W = HardWare
SW or S/W = SoftWare

I know I've left a bunch out, but there's a start.

You can add:

PVR = Personal Video Recorder
DVR = Digital Video Recorder
ATSC = Advanced Television Standards Commitie (digital OTA TV)
NTSC = National Television Standards Commitie (analog OTA TV)
STB = Set Top Box (the satellite receiver)

rad said:
You can add:

NTSC = National Television Standards Commitie (analog OTA TV)

I thought
NTSC = Never The Same Color

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I really tried. really.

But since I started

SECAM = System Essentially Contrary to the American Method
PAL = Perfections At Last

:D

Let's not forget the latest one for Dish:

NBR= name based recording

And I guess that's one big reason I'm still with Dish :)

GaryPen said:
Are all of the same Dish packages and a la cartes available in Puerto Rico? (Although, I would assume Dish Latino packs are the most popular.)

GaryPen, honestly I don't know if the a la carte packages are available here but I believe they are... At least, I got them for a while with the BUD... :) I have a friend who receives FOX... Next time I visit, I'll ask him if that's part of a package or a la carte...

I don't think Dish Latino is that popular here, to tell you the truth... Most people only want to watch movies (HBO/Starz/Cinemax/SHO) or sports events...

Totally unrelated, I 'discovered' that the PVR records the secondary audio track. :clap Now, it would be even cooler to be able to select it on playback with a single button instead of going thru the setup menu. :yes

The Grass is always greener on the other side

I considered switching myself once even contacted D* to find out since I
purchased my own RCA 4220 from ebay to subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket only a few years ago I was no longer considered a "New Subscriber" and D* was unwilling to subsidize any equipment for me

I explained that I own a 6000, two PVR501's and a 4900 receivers and pay Dish 1000.00 a year + for programming and it could be theirs for the grabbing if they would sign me up as a new customer ( it's not like they ever subsitizing me before I never acted on a free deal from D* so they have never subsidized any receivers for my house) But They would have nothing to do with it and basically told me I'd have to buy a HD receiver and two tivo's outright.

taking in account that selling my E*receivers wouldn't offset the price of new D*equipment and taking in the fact that under D* I would have to pay the Tivo fee and slightly higher programming altogether Figured I'd loose too much money to make the switch and stayed and at some point E* will right it's course and we'll all soon forget to be looking over the fence and the neighbors lawn ......

Call and ask for their retention department, sorry I don't have the number. I was a former subscriber and they helped me come back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts