Why do we stay with Dishnetwork????

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'm sorry, but being a noob to Sat, I don't know all the "code words." Can someone explain to me what E* and D* are? Almost every post on this thread contains this. Sorry in advance if this is too basic. Thanks!
icon_biggrin.gif

No problem and welcome aboard!

E* = EchoStar - the parent of Dish.
D* = DirecTV.

Other common acronyms that can cause confusion:
DTV = Digital TV (not DirectTV)
OTA = Over The Air
SD = Standard Definition
HD = High Definition
HDD = Hard Disk Drive
HW or H/W = HardWare
SW or S/W = SoftWare

I know I've left a bunch out, but there's a start.

You can add:

PVR = Personal Video Recorder
DVR = Digital Video Recorder
ATSC = Advanced Television Standards Commitie (digital OTA TV)
NTSC = National Television Standards Commitie (analog OTA TV)
STB = Set Top Box (the satellite receiver)

rad said:
You can add:

NTSC = National Television Standards Commitie (analog OTA TV)

I thought
NTSC = Never The Same Color

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I really tried. really.

But since I started

SECAM = System Essentially Contrary to the American Method
PAL = Perfections At Last

:D

Let's not forget the latest one for Dish:

NBR= name based recording

And I guess that's one big reason I'm still with Dish :)

GaryPen said:
Are all of the same Dish packages and a la cartes available in Puerto Rico? (Although, I would assume Dish Latino packs are the most popular.)

GaryPen, honestly I don't know if the a la carte packages are available here but I believe they are... At least, I got them for a while with the BUD... :) I have a friend who receives FOX... Next time I visit, I'll ask him if that's part of a package or a la carte...

I don't think Dish Latino is that popular here, to tell you the truth... Most people only want to watch movies (HBO/Starz/Cinemax/SHO) or sports events...

Totally unrelated, I 'discovered' that the PVR records the secondary audio track. :clap Now, it would be even cooler to be able to select it on playback with a single button instead of going thru the setup menu. :yes

The Grass is always greener on the other side

I considered switching myself once even contacted D* to find out since I
purchased my own RCA 4220 from ebay to subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket only a few years ago I was no longer considered a "New Subscriber" and D* was unwilling to subsidize any equipment for me

I explained that I own a 6000, two PVR501's and a 4900 receivers and pay Dish 1000.00 a year + for programming and it could be theirs for the grabbing if they would sign me up as a new customer ( it's not like they ever subsitizing me before I never acted on a free deal from D* so they have never subsidized any receivers for my house) But They would have nothing to do with it and basically told me I'd have to buy a HD receiver and two tivo's outright.

taking in account that selling my E*receivers wouldn't offset the price of new D*equipment and taking in the fact that under D* I would have to pay the Tivo fee and slightly higher programming altogether Figured I'd loose too much money to make the switch and stayed and at some point E* will right it's course and we'll all soon forget to be looking over the fence and the neighbors lawn ......

Call and ask for their retention department, sorry I don't have the number. I was a former subscriber and they helped me come back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts