Why do you need 2 satellites?

dish522noe

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2005
I want to know why do you need 2 satellites? Some of my local channels needs to be watch on the 2nd satellite. Just ? Thanks

You have two dishes. A satellite is a large piece of equipment orbiting 20,000 miles from Earth. You need two dishes when your local channels are placed on one of the wing satellites, 61.5 or 148. The main programming channels are on the main satellites, 110 and 119. DISH chose to place the "lesser" local channels in some markets on the wing satellites to save space on the main satellites.

:D :eek: I can't really follow that he already said everything that needed to be said. So yeah there you go Chad answered your question

As to why you need 2 (or more) physical satellites to receive all your programming...

Its a capacity issue. There is a finite amount of data that can be bounced off the satellite. In order to get all the channels that you can get, you need two (or more satellites). Think of it like a dialup/dsl/cable line. You can only cram so much data through it. If you need to get more data faster, you have to get a second connection.

not all areas need 2 satellites, so are you sure you need more than one?
(which locals area are you in so we can verify)

looking at a map, its the LA area (LA DMA)

only local channels you would need the 2nd dish for are
KVMD 23
KDUH 63 (Spanish Ind)
KHIZ 64 (Ind)

so if you can live without those 3, one dish is all you need :)

The reason why you need 2 dishes in LA area is because there are 2 spotbeams that cover the area. They can fit 12 per spotbeam. There are 24 channels in the LA area that are on satellite.

5 channels (the big 4 + KTLA) are ConUs (the whole US), so those don’t equate in this….that leaves 19 to put up

-They put a new one up a while back and that has 12 channels on it from the LA area (most of these were on 148 before that)…that leaves 7 left to find spots for

-the other spotbeam has 4 LA channels, FSNW2, and 7 San Diego locals

That leaves the 3 on 148 I mentioned : )

There just isn’t enough room for it to be on one dish right now

Thanks Iceberg for the information. Yes, I can live without those channels. I though I won't get my local channels like KTLA 5 (WB) and KCAL9 (Sister channel of CBS 2). I checked and there it is, its available. Thank you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)