Why does Dish box on put out HD on one channel?

MikeMoss

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
Ada, MI
Hi

That's my question, why does my second TV have to receive low rez picture.
If you are paying for HD why don't you get HD on both channels.

Mike

Hi

That's my question, why does my second TV have to receive low rez picture.
If you are paying for HD why don't you get HD on both channels.

Mike

more likely the reason is that you would need a hdmi cable to run to the second tv ...usually 30' to 75' away ... or component & sound cables... not really that easy to be done ...& to do it over a coax the equip. & tv would also be too costly......

Dish cannot provide the info "in the clear" as it would be over coax. The content providers won't allow it, concerned that their intellectual property will be stolen and put out for free over the internet.

Two separate HDMI outputs would work, but then you run into a new set of problems. People are more used to running coax than HDMI, plus length limits.

In any event, you can get two HD outputs, two different channels, using the ViP922 and it's Sling feature.

I should have been clearer.

I have a dish box 622, one TV is in the library (main floor) on channel 1 and the other is below it in the Rec Room. Only about 20' of cable away because it is almost below the one upstairs and it is hooked to channel 2.
But as far as I have been able find, the receiver does not put out an HD signal on channel 2 no matter what kind of cable I have.

My question is why?

There is no technical reason that the box couldn't hold 2 HD receivers, are they just trying to make me buy or lease another dish box? Or is there something that prohibits them from doing that?

I suppose that I should have gotten 2 single channel boxes to start with, but I didn't know that one channel wouldn't be HD. I already have a single channel non HD dish box and TV in my wifes pottery studio also on the lower level.
The TV upstairs is still on and antenna but gets good HD on local channels.

Mike

Last edited:
said earlier

I should have been clearer.

I have a dish box 622, one TV is in the library on channel 1 and the other is below it in the Rec Room. Actually only about 20 feet of cable and runs on channel 2 because it is almost below the one upstairs.

But as far as I have been able find, the receiver does not put out an HD signal on channel 2 no matter what kind of cable I have.

My question is why?

There is no technical reason that the box couldn't hold 2 HD receivers, are they just trying to make me buy or lease another dish box? Or is there something that prohibits them from doing that?
I suppose that I should have gotten 2 single channel boxes to start with, but I didn't know that one channel wouldn't be HD.

Mike

It's the content providers (as navychop said) that will not allow an HD ATSC signal output over coax. The easiest way for you to do it is run HDMI to 1 TV and component w/audio connections to the other. Both set will have same program as you will need to run in single mode.

Just to add as others have said that it is all about the content providers who don't like any--especially clear--re-transmission of their entertainment product. As one example, try to find any recording device such as DVD recorder, DVR, etc., that has an HD input, even a component input. You will have a hard time doing so. It isn't the lack of technology; it's that the content providers don't want such a feature. No major manufacturer today wants to have any complications with content providers who will tie-up the product with court action.

Some few devices that do have a component input are set to automatically DOWNREZ the HD content to SD as per content providers.

In short, the technology has never really been the problem, but appeasing the content providers has delayed or killed many innovations.

Dish did have a prototype of a whole house solution that would have modulated all programming on the ATSC standard, and one would have to do is tune your HDTV to a channel to view HD from any HDTV in the home by running coax to it. No boxes in the rooms and HD on all TV's. Content providers didn't like that.

Content providers have to feel certain that their product is NEVER in the clear and sufficiently secure in retransmission of any type. DirecTV had a prototype that included very small boxes in each room that would allow wireless transmission of HD on any HDTV. However, they had problems making the wireless transmission secure. So, buh-by, to that idea.

It is ALWAYS the content providers.

Taking all of the above into account, remember that the 622 is essentially and "old" box. It was conceived and designed during a time that most people who had and HD set only had one... and that one set ran $2000 for a 32" or more. I know it was only six years ago, but this area of the electronics business has completely transformed everything in a very short time.

The 622 was DESIGNED to be a SINGLE HD and a SINGLE SD box. Yes, they could have designed it to be a dual HD box in one, but there were several issues unrelated to the ATSC transmission ban the content providers placed on the technology. There were heat issues and more importantly, money issues. The 622 would have cost a lot more if it would have been a dual HD transmitter. The 722 is a 622 with a larger hard drive.

All other receivers like the 722k, 612, etc were really variations on the innovations pioneered on the 622. So the next generation of receiver from Dish really just came out. The 922 is a true dual HD receiver designed to provide HD channels to anywhere in the house.

See ya
Tony

Ok. This thread reminded me of a question i've been meaning to ask. With all these fancy HDTVs having a built-in HD tuner, Why can't E just use ATSC like OTA for the second TV-out on regular coax?

"Dish did have a prototype of a whole house solution that would have modulated all programming on the ATSC standard, and one would have to do is tune your HDTV to a channel to view HD from any HDTV in the home by running coax to it. No boxes in the rooms and HD on all TV's. Content providers didn't like that.

Content providers have to feel certain that their product is NEVER in the clear and sufficiently secure in retransmission of any type. DirecTV had a prototype that included very small boxes in each room that would allow wireless transmission of HD on any HDTV. However, they had problems making the wireless transmission secure. So, buh-by, to that idea.

It is ALWAYS the content providers.?

from Post #10

Correct and to the point.

Dish could easily do dual HD, by putting another HDMI chip. But the real problem comes with the installers.

People will want two HD's to be connected. They started supplying HDMI cables just now. If u want to run composite to 2nd tv, it will be installers night mare. They have to run 5 cables, with different connectors. 5 times more prone to problems.

It is better to just get a second box.

Also, in my case my second tv is more than 100ft from main tv. Now I need to run 5 cables each 100 ft long, which is impossible.

1HD and 1SD covers many cases where people have smaller tv in the bedroom etc. HD tv penetration currently is around 46%. That does not mean that they have all HD TV's. 70-80% of those still have an SD tv lying around.

Your case is an exception, where some one has 2nd HDTV set less than 20ft from first tv.

The 622 does not and has never had the capability of producing two HD pictures simultaneously. Adding another HDMI output would only allow one output to be fed to two HD TV sets. Currently the 622 has the capability of feeding two HDTV sets TV1 signal (HD via HDMI and Component). But the second output, even if you add an HDMI Jack to it, will only be SD because that is all the circuitry inside the box can do.

Again, the 622 and all its dirivitives (722, 722k, 612, etc) were never designed with two HD outputs in mind.

Taking all of the above into account, remember that the 622 is essentially and "old" box. It was conceived and designed during a time that most people who had and HD set only had one... and that one set ran $2000 for a 32" or more. I know it was only six years ago, but this area of the electronics business has completely transformed everything in a very short time.

The 622 was DESIGNED to be a SINGLE HD and a SINGLE SD box. Yes, they could have designed it to be a dual HD box in one, but there were several issues unrelated to the ATSC transmission ban the content providers placed on the technology. There were heat issues and more importantly, money issues. The 622 would have cost a lot more if it would have been a dual HD transmitter. The 722 is a 622 with a larger hard drive.

All other receivers like the 722k, 612, etc were really variations on the innovations pioneered on the 622. So the next generation of receiver from Dish really just came out. The 922 is a true dual HD receiver designed to provide HD channels to anywhere in the house.

See ya
Tony
Are you saying the 922 can feed two separate HD pictures to two separate TVs at one time?

I was aware that you couldn't buy a Blu-Ray recorder in the US.
They are available in Japan.

I know you can record the stuff from the DVR to a DVD recorder and if I input the signal from the Dish box to my computer I could probably record in HD using it.

I don't see any reason that you couldn't run the Dish box into a Blu-Ray recorder on channel 1 and record in HD, if you could get a recorder.

So I don't see why not having both channels in HD protects anyone.

I have an HDMI cable running from my computer to my TV so I can play Blu-Ray from my computer to my TV.

The end result is that if I want both of my TVs to be in HD I have to buy two Dish boxes instead of a 2 channel one.

Mike

I was aware that you couldn't buy a Blu-Ray recorder in the US.
They are available in Japan.

I know you can record the stuff from the DVR to a DVD recorder and if I input the signal from the Dish box to my computer I could probably record in HD using it.

I don't see any reason that you couldn't run the Dish box into a Blu-Ray recorder on channel 1 and record in HD, if you could get a recorder.

So I don't see why not having both channels in HD protects anyone.

I have an HDMI cable running from my computer to my TV so I can play Blu-Ray from my computer to my TV.

The end result is that if I want both of my TVs to be in HD I have to buy two Dish boxes instead of a 2 channel one.

Mike

as noted before, the 922 uses Sling to get HD signal to another location... heck, from what I've read, it doesn't even have an SD out for the 2nd location...

DirecTV had a prototype that included very small boxes in each room that would allow wireless transmission of HD on any HDTV. However, they had problems making the wireless transmission secure. So, buh-by, to that idea.

It is ALWAYS the content providers.?

from Post #10

Correct and to the point.
NO... D-TV having a problem with there equipment I don't believe it. :eek::rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts