Why does Dish keep adding/removing MOJO on a TEMP channel?

rfischer4073

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Merritt Island, FL
Hi there,
Here's a question which has been bugging me for some time now.

Watching the uplink reports here, I've watched "MOJO" come and go over time now, on a temp channel, then removed. If I am not mistaken, this has happened more than once.

Does anyone know why Dish does this? Are they just testing, waiting for a contract to be approved, etc?

Thanks in advance, from someone who gets aggravated hoping that particular channel makes it to the Dish lineup. :mad:

I would guess that MOJO and Dish keep getting close to an agreement, but it never works out.

Honestly, MOJO (INHD) was a HD Filler station that the cable companies made back when HD programming was scarce. Thats not the case anymore, so I expect MOJO to be bought up one day and be morphed into some other "mainstream" channel.

Honestly, MOJO (INHD) was a HD Filler station that the cable companies made back when HD programming was scarce. Thats not the case anymore, so I expect MOJO to be bought up one day and be morphed into some other "mainstream" channel.

So, by your logic, Spike is a country music channel? Sleuth is a Canadian arts channel? Hallmark channel is 100% Religious programming? I myself, love all the Appalachian community programming on TLC, and the late night movies on CNBC.

InHD was really more of a distribution service than a "filler" station. Because HD channel space was so limited, other channels would broadcast HD events THROUGH InHD and InHD2. When those events weren't happening, yes, they had to "fill" the time, and I'm sure the repetition was awful.

As channels started launching their own HD feeds, InHD wasn't needed. So they shut down InHD 2 and changed InHD to Mojo.

It's a "lifestyle" channel, whatever that means. But it's mostly original programming, except for some movies, and it's ALL HD. I don't really care one way or another, but I can't see how a 24/7 HD channel of mostly original programming would considered a bad thing.

I do find it odd that it's on every time I go to Best Buy, considering they sell DirecTV.

Once the contract is signed we will all get our MOJO Working.

Sorry I could not stop myself I got My Mojo Working and Doctor Evil can not have it.

"I've got my mojo workin', and I thought you'd like to know
got it all revved up and rarin' ta go
I got it working from my wighat to my toes
got my mojo workin' and I thought you'd like to know..."
- Young Fresh Fellows

So, by your logic, Spike is a country music channel? Sleuth is a Canadian arts channel? Hallmark channel is 100% Religious programming? I myself, love all the Appalachian community programming on TLC, and the late night movies on CNBC.

Kinda, I find that many "independent" cable channels eventually get gobbled up by the big media companies are transformed into channels that have some kind of Niche theme, but eventually end up mostly be programmed with syndications of old network prime-time programming.

TNN gets bought by viacom. Gets changed to SpikeTV. Theme is now "Men's TV". End result, reruns of Star Trek and Wrestling.

SpeedVision gets bought by FOX. Gets changed to Nascar TV. Instead of racing, they now show "build it" and reality shows on primetime.

Lifetime - Syndications of Designing Women, Golden Girls, and unsolved mysteries.

Sleuth - (NBCU?) reruns of Simon and Simon and other old primetime detective shows.

Chiller - (NBCU?) reruns of Millenium and other scary mystery shows.

I just expect that INHD won't be worth the cost anymore to Comcast and the other "INHD" partners to keep INHD around. Then someone will want to launch some new network and instead of taking on all of the start up costs, they just buy up INHD and repurpose it to the new network. (like How Discovery Home just became Planet Green). That way you don't need to make all new carriage deals with the MSOs and out of the gate you can tell advertisers they will get n many millions homes.

So that is my logic.

I do find it odd that it's on every time I go to Best Buy, considering they sell DirecTV.

Around here the best buys also have Comcast and FiOS displays, so not too surprising.

You can even sign up for cable TV at some best Buys. And heck my local Ostco is still showing a VOOm loop.

Kinda, I find that many "independent" cable channels eventually get gobbled up by the big media companies are transformed into channels that have some kind of Niche theme, but eventually end up mostly be programmed with syndications of old network prime-time programming.

Oh, I totally agree with you there. Most channels have lost their mission. Bravo is the worst offender.

I was trying to point out channels that changed their identities completely. You were putting down Mojo because of what InHD was. I just don't think that's a fair comparison. CNBC used to be SPN and show public domain movies. You can't say "We don't need CNBC, they just show bad old movies."

I just expect that INHD won't be worth the cost anymore to Comcast and the other "INHD" partners to keep INHD around.

Which is why it doesn't exist anymore. It's been replaced. With Mojo.

I don't have enough experience with Mojo to say whether it's a worthwhile addition or not. But looking at their schedule, I'd much rather see that added than something like Cartoon Network that won't even show their HD shows in HD.

Then someone will want to launch some new network and instead of taking on all of the start up costs, they just buy up INHD and repurpose it to the new network. (like How Discovery Home just became Planet Green). That way you don't need to make all new carriage deals with the MSOs and out of the gate you can tell advertisers they will get n many millions homes.

Good point, although you gave a bad example. Discovery rebrands it's channels all the time. There's one that has been rebranded 4 times...Eye On People...Discovery People...Discovery Civilization...Discovery Times...Investigative Discovery.

The best example is CurrentTV. Gore bought Newsworld Intl and just flipped the switch and bam...he's got a brand new channel carried on DirecTV with no negotiation.

BTW, it's possible that this is exactly what Comcast wants. If they can get on DISH and/or Direct, they will be more valuable to buyers.

Around here the best buys also have Comcast and FiOS displays, so not too surprising.

Around here, the cable company doesn't carry Mojo. There's literally no way to see it here except the direct Digicypher feed. So, it's either a Best Buy promo disc (which seems odd, since they are trying to sell DirecTV), or they have a BUD out back.

Wonder if MOJO will figure into the Golf/VS HD split and E! HD launch this December (as far as the satcasters are concerned)? All comcast properties (in one sense or another). Actually, Golf/VS is the old InHD2 (relatively speaking).

As channels started launching their own HD feeds, InHD wasn't needed. So they shut down InHD 2 and changed InHD to Mojo.

Actually, when Mojo was InHD 1/2, I actually watched stuff on them. It is worse now as Mojo than it ever was as InHD. It is garbage. Not sure why anybody would long for that channel. The old saying applies, "be careful what you ask for, you might just get it."

For those of you that don't have it, you don't want to waste an HD slot on Mojo.... not worth it.

Actually, when Mojo was InHD 1/2, I actually watched stuff on them. It is worse now as Mojo than it ever was as InHD. It is garbage. Not sure why anybody would long for that channel. The old saying applies, "be careful what you ask for, you might just get it."

For those of you that don't have it, you don't want to waste an HD slot on Mojo.... not worth it.
I'd waste the slot for Heroes repeats and London Live. Mojo has the exclusive on Heroes HD reruns. But I do miss the old short films they would run in-between programs; saw "Lucas in Love" many times on there...IMHO - no worse a waste of a slot than WGN, I'm Philly at heart, what good is Chicago sporting events and news in HD to the country outside of Chicago? As the other old saying goes, "To each, his own":D

Just speculation on my part, but MoJo may be insisting that E* carry them in their most basic HD tier (HD Essentials or afterand 8/1 Bronz, Silver or Gold) E* probably wants to place MoJo in their upgrade HD tier (Ultimate or after 8/1 Platinum).

Am I mistaken, or did I see that Stern is on MOJO? Old shows or new??

Ba ba booey ba ba booey ba ba booey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts