Why does MeTV (247) look squished since early June?

And what does it do with the majority of the 4x3 content? Does it stretch it?

Usually the 4:3 appears slightly zoomed with small black bars on the side. The picture quality is much better than shown here but you get the idea on the format. :)

MeTV.jpg

I would rather it be 4:3 in the middle of the screen with gray or black bars than for them to be cutting off the tops of heads and such.
Well, in their defense (haha), they try to limit the amount of cutting off the top and bottom by stretching it out side to side a little bit too. So now not only are the tops of heads cut off, but they are tops of fat heads cut off.

Hey, I wonder if it is this stupid "bug" that pops up from time to time: sometimes, I will find SOME, not all, of my SD channels via Dish and OTA to be StretchoVision, and I can NOT change it using the FORMAT button feature--that is UNTIL I can go to an SD channel that is display in 4:3, and then I use the FORMAT button to change it other formats and then BACK to 4:3. Then I tune to the channel that was stretch o Vision and as if by a miracle, that channel now displays as it should--no stretch o Vision. This happened to me just an hour after posting on this thread. And this stupid bug is a pretty frequent one that rears it ugly head many times a week, but I have been so conditioned that I just numbly execute the fix and I don't think of it again. This has been happening for YEARS. It is a BUG. My set Format for SD should NOT change if I do not change it myself, but it will, and when it does, or if I do change the format to take a square box of a picture and have it properly fill the screen as if proper 16:9, but when changed to a different channel, it will display stretch o Vision and the FORMAT command will NOT work, just as if it is flagged not to, but its the bug, not the flag.

Last night, I had tuned to something like 8 or 9 SD channels that were stretcho, (including MeTV that HAD been displaying properly) but should NOT have been while the FORMAT button did NOTHING. Then I remembered the bug/fix and executed it, and all was well with MeTV back to its sorta 4:3 a bit stretched.

Has anyone else encountered this bug? I get it all the bloody time.

If it is any consolation, you will still not hear the words "twitter, twerking, hashtag, or hashtag-twerking" on metv, the way tv was meant to be! (as their funny commercial points out!)

Reactions: pattykay
Hey, I wonder if it is this stupid "bug" that pops up from time to time: sometimes, I will find SOME, not all, of my SD channels via Dish and OTA to be StretchoVision, and I can NOT change it using the FORMAT button feature--that is UNTIL I can go to an SD channel that is display in 4:3, and then I use the FORMAT button to change it other formats and then BACK to 4:3. Then I tune to the channel that was stretch o Vision and as if by a miracle, that channel now displays as it should--no stretch o Vision. This happened to me just an hour after posting on this thread. And this stupid bug is a pretty frequent one that rears it ugly head many times a week, but I have been so conditioned that I just numbly execute the fix and I don't think of it again. This has been happening for YEARS. It is a BUG. My set Format for SD should NOT change if I do not change it myself, but it will, and when it does, or if I do change the format to take a square box of a picture and have it properly fill the screen as if proper 16:9, but when changed to a different channel, it will display stretch o Vision and the FORMAT command will NOT work, just as if it is flagged not to, but its the bug, not the flag.

Last night, I had tuned to something like 8 or 9 SD channels that were stretcho, (including MeTV that HAD been displaying properly) but should NOT have been while the FORMAT button did NOTHING. Then I remembered the bug/fix and executed it, and all was well with MeTV back to its sorta 4:3 a bit stretched.

What I have experienced is that in order to change the format, I have to be tuned to a Dish provided SD channel. That change will apply to the OTA channels. It will not let me change the format while tuned to a OTA channel. I haven't experienced it changing on it's own - yet.

Sent from my cheap phone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: pattykay

Yes, someone started a thread a long time back, about this happening on his ViP222k on EA. I have observed the same thing on my ViP222k, also on EA. I wonder if this explains why multiple posters have said that MeTV looks fine on EA. In other words, MeTV (247) is actually being broadcast squished, but when this bug happens, it automatically stretches it back, making it look almost normal with no action required by the viewer. Perhaps Dish formatted the broadcast to look proper on a receiver that happened to have this bug at the time, and then Dish never caught the mistake or changed the format again after that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts