Why does zero OTA signal on TV2 cause TV1 to loose sat signal ?

yomama

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
Atlanta (swburbs)
I have a 722k with the OTA module. When I am changing to an OTA channel on TV2 that temporarily has no signal, TV1 will loose signal from the sat feed. Has anyone else encountered this, and does anyone know why this would happen :confused:

For a new convert to Dish from Directv, this is causing the Wife Acceptance Factor for Dish to be very low. :rolleyes:

Thanks

I have a 722k with the OTA module. When I am changing to an OTA channel on TV2 that temporarily has no signal, TV1 will loose signal from the sat feed. Has anyone else encountered this, and does anyone know why this would happen :confused:

For a new convert to Dish from Directv, this is causing the Wife Acceptance Factor for Dish to be very low. :rolleyes:

Thanks

Yomama,

Anytime your receiver is recording or tuned to a channel be that OTA or Satellite and it loses signal it will cause the other TUNERS on the DVR to lose their signal.

If you have having trouble with your OTA signals then you need to do something to solve the problem, or don't tune the OTA channels you are having trouble with.

Try tvfool.com or antennaweb.org, both of these sites will help you with picking and pointing your OTA antenna.

John

This is not an excuse for Dish to not fix a very very stupid problem, of course. I'm amazed that they've never addressed this.

How long does the OTA signal have to be down to cause this? I get momentary drop-outs (up to several seconds) that have never caused this problem (on a 622 or 722). Does this only occur on the 722k? Obviously, you can't tune to OTA on TV2 of a 622 or 722.

Brad

Pain in the butt especially when your overnight recordings get screwed up because of it. I have had technical calls open on it for about 2-3 years now. It can be momentary, sometimes the receiver gets so bad that you need to reset it to get things working again.

How long does the OTA signal have to be down to cause this? I get momentary drop-outs (up to several seconds) that have never caused this problem (on a 622 or 722). Does this only occur on the 722k? Obviously, you can't tune to OTA on TV2 of a 622 or 722.

Brad

It does it immediatley. The problem is I have one channel that has 12...yes count em...12 sub channels, and when I just scan thru them this happens every time. The first 4 or 5 subs have programming but the others do not...even tho the channel shows the same and sufficient signal strength as the ones that do have programming. I fail to see why an OTA signal should have any effect on a sat signal.

!sadroll

Same here, especially for the other TV output.

12 sub-channels??? Another possible solution is to contact that station's engineering section and get them to clear out those unused numbers from their PSIP. Dish's error handling in this situation could maybe be better, but it would become a non-issue for all brands of tuners if the station was transmitting valid information about its signal's contents.

This does not let Dish off the hook for the loss of signal problem.

Markers

Same here, especially for the other TV output.

12 sub-channels??? Another possible solution is to contact that station's engineering section and get them to clear out those unused numbers from their PSIP. Dish's error handling in this situation could maybe be better, but it would become a non-issue for all brands of tuners if the station was transmitting valid information about its signal's contents.

This does not let Dish off the hook for the loss of signal problem.

The "channels" that just have numbers but no vid may just be markers. Not really channels just markers for possible channels "future use". you can just delete them after the scan.

And it's quicker than getting the station to act.

Seems maybe the receiver is trying to tune the empty markers like they were real sub-channels, and not behaving well when no video is found? Getting rid of them, either from the tuner's list or preferably at the source*, will likely clear up the second cause of disruption for the other viewer.

* a re-scan would still be needed

And it's quicker than getting the station to act.

Seems maybe the receiver is trying to tune the empty markers like they were real sub-channels, and not behaving well when no video is found? Getting rid of them, either from the tuner's list or preferably at the source*, will likely clear up the second cause of disruption for the other viewer.

* a re-scan would still be needed

This channel has been adding content to the subs at random, so I was just curious to look at them from time to time to see what programing is there...of course all the channels have terrible quality.

Thanks for all the feedback :up

Anytime your receiver is recording or tuned to a channel be that OTA or Satellite and it loses signal it will cause the other TUNERS on the DVR to lose their signal.
Ummm, did you just re-state what he said ? I think he already knows this and is asking "why?".

That said, I'd really like to believe that this is an issue Dish would really fix if they (easily) could. Maybe it's not possible. Maybe it's a limitation of the chipset.

They are obviously only doing SD material and probably very poorly, I'd just delete the whole mess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts