Why doesn't Pansat etc just include DCII/VCII and an IPG for 100 bucks?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerryK

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 25, 2005
Just wondering out loud... If the FTA companies can put out receivers for a lousy hundred bucks, did a 4dtv REALLY need to be 400 or 1000(list)?

I think an FTA box that could do the above could help a lot of people get to KU without calling Dish.

Jerry, I hear you man! I think the problem is greed. The hardware used to make the 4dtv, probably is in the same range as an average FTA receiver. The problem arises with the greed of the owners of the copywrited software/firmware being used in the 4dtv. I'm sure Pansat and others could lease/buy the copywrite for this, but that would put the cost at or above where a 4dtv already is. They probably feel the sales wouldn't be worth the effort. Just my thoughts, but it would be great if something would/could be done about it. If someone would come along and lease to own these 4dtv units already out there or build new ones for that purpose, I believe 4dtv would take off again. Especially if you could use a second or more receiver(s) for only a $5 charge for an additional receiver fee. Something like that would be great.

Al

It might not be Motorola. I read somewhere that Motorola would license DigiCipher just like they license VideoCipher II technology. But they haven't been approached by a manufacturer. Most if not all of the MPG-2 stuff we buy is not made for the US market. It would be great if some smart manufacturer did target a unit for the US.

There are so few subscribers that they probably cannot make enough hardware to make the receivers in bulk to get the price down like Dish and Direct can.

Stargazer said:
There are so few subscribers that they probably cannot make enough hardware to make the receivers in bulk to get the price down like Dish and Direct can.

Perhaps, but there are plenty of fta people to make Pansats cheap. I'd pay an extra hundred for the Pansat-DC.

The FTA manufacturers may also resist it if an uncomfortably large part of their market are running on hacked firmware to pirat D*. If so, they might not want to add much complexity to the firmware for fear of losing sales.

I would like a DCII and a PV unit to come out that also does FTA, that is just a dream :)

SA has been bought out and we can hope that they will make a unit we can use to sub to as consumers, I got my fingers crossed but ain't holding my breath...

Last edited:
I emailed Cisco and SA about at least releasing a Power Vu for the home. SA sales rep apperciated the feedback and my personal preference of SA over Motorola. Cisco is still clueless in what there getting. copy of the email between me and SA:
Jody, thanks for your email. Sorry for the delayed response -- we've been a little busy.

I'm not aware of any plans to sell the 9834 directly to consumers, but I will pass on your request to the folks in the product line.

Thanks for your interest in Scientific-Atlanta (and your preference over Motorola!)

tom
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 4:27 AM
To: sales@sciatl.com; tom.robey@sciatl.com; investor@sciatl.com
Subject: power vu

I wish SA would release the 9834's for residential use for encrypted services in North America. I, myself among other c banders could enjoy our dishes to the fullest with such a fine product as the D9834. Motorola is in our homes, why not SA ??? With Turner converting all Power Vu and what analog feeds Turner has now to be denied to us after the end of the year, what are we to do ??? Not everyone likes the "pizza dish". I ask that SA would consider doing this in the near future and it would be very much apperciated. thank you

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

copy of an email from MM at NPS:

Jody, I forwarded your SA questions to my technical consultant and here is what we got. It is interesting but non of these are economically viable, however this lead to further discussion about IPTV and that might provide some promise. I just hope it is not too little too late. MM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 4:40 PM
To: Mike Mountford; Jon Pardieck
Subject: SA PowerVu

Mike,

I have attached two spec sheets for SA decoders. The D9834 has a few more features than the D9835. The 9835 purchased in quantities is south of $350. Here is a section of a quote I got from SA this year for quantity 1 ..... and they are both very available in the US.

C. Receivers

1. 25-30 Digital Satellite Receiver, Model D9835, $495 each

Equipped with NTSC CH3/4 Modulator,

P/N 4007921

KDM DISCOUNTED PRICE $421 each

2. 25-30 Business Satellite Receiver, Model D9834, $695 each

NTSC CH3/4 Modulator with NA Cord,

P/N 4005875

KDM DISCOUNTED PRICE $590 each

Typically we see these models used for business television networks or for low end (huge deployment in India) cable headends. AFRTS (Armed Forces) is as close as you get to consumer usage and has the largest deployed network of these models.

These receivers could easily be utilized for consumers. However the challenge is the authorization of the units. SA has always left the authorization services to the individual programmer. The base infrastructure of the SA encryption is just not setup to support a central authorization center. In other words you would have to have each programmer authorize each consumers decoder for each service ..... and I don't think you would get a programmer to support this scenario.

Another approach would be to hang a third party (Irdeto/Nagra/NDS/viaccess) encryption on each programmers SA PowerVu platform and tie it back to a central authorization center. Then you could use really cheap Korean decoders at $100 per unit. The problem with this is that these encryption platform have been designed around large DBS operations where the authorization and all the encoding is centralized in addition to being very expensive. Again I don't think you could get support from the programmers .... but it's a thought!

FYI - HITS is in the process of launching their new platform on SA. Their intent is to provide a simulcast of the tier 1 programming to cable operators to assist in the transition to an all digital cable plant. It was a total industry shock when they selected SA after all the money they have contribute to Motorola over the years. You might talk to HITS about using the third party encryption on their platform ....... I would have to look at the agreement again but if I recall this may get you past any issues you would have with the programmers.

Let me know if you have additional questions.
--------------------------------------
NOTE from me to MM and JP:

In the pass we have discuss Power Vu for residential use. One of the things brought up was an ACC to access the receivers. My question is how are all the Power Vu's for our service men viewing Armed Forces TV getting them activated? There has to be an ACC somewhere? or it would seem? I still say that Scientific Atlanta should release the D9834's for use in North America. these receivers are used in other parts of the world for residential use.
Also, how is the Turner deal going? I think it is wrong to stop the analog for consumers but not commercial, this would be another reason for S-A to roll out the Power Vu's. Have you ever talked with S-A, and say "Hey what could we do to offer those for our residential receivers?" I wonder if you started using them with there approval even if NPS had to do the ACC, would it be cheaper then converting them to DC II?
There has been talk that D5 could be going to, if so will HITS let c banders use the DC II feeds minus the PBS and UPN to sell as the D5? Also did you ever talk with HITS and Cable One about those network feeds? I always said one of the biggest things for c band would to be offer locals. it's a start.
-----------------------------------------------
Kelly D. Miller

KDM Satellite Solutions, Inc.
5098 S. Perry Park Rd.
Sedalia, CO 80135
Phone 303-681-xxxx
Fax 303-681-xxxx
Email xxxxxxxx@aol.com

(ALSO NOTE: I did ask about uplinking the DC II feeds 11/14, a least 3 weeks before the D5 went off)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)