Why doesn't this work?

satinsticksguy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
I have a 1 Hopper and 1 Joey installation. I'm wanting to move the Joey from it's current location close to the main TV to a TV in the upstairs bedroom since we have purchased an HD TV to replace the current SD TV there.

Current setup - this works
Solo node installed at dish approximately 200' from house. At the point where the cable comes into the house, there is a connector. The cable comes into the house to the main TV and into a Tap. The Tap has 2 short cables going to the Hopper and Joey. The composite output of the Joey goes into an RF modulator and upstairs through an existing cable to the bedroom TV.

Desired setup - doesn't work
This morning, I moved the Tap from the current location to the point where the connector in the cable is coming into the house. The Host output of the Tap goes into the cable going into the house to the main TV and to the Hopper. The Hopper works. The Client output of the Tap goes into the cable going upstairs to the bedroom (approximately 40') and to the Joey. The Joey doesn't work. I get a message to check connections, etc. On the Hopper, it does not seem that Moca is active. I thought maybe the cable going upstairs was bad so I tried a different cable, but no joy.

I moved everything back to the original location, and the Joey is working. I believe everything was wired the same except for the location, but it doesn't work. What am I missing? Thanks.

I have a 1 Hopper and 1 Joey installation. I'm wanting to move the Joey from it's current location close to the main TV to a TV in the upstairs bedroom since we have purchased an HD TV to replace the current SD TV there.

Current setup - this works
Solo node installed at dish approximately 200' from house. At the point where the cable comes into the house, there is a connector. The cable comes into the house to the main TV and into a Tap. The Tap has 2 short cables going to the Hopper and Joey. The composite output of the Joey goes into an RF modulator and upstairs through an existing cable to the bedroom TV.

Desired setup - doesn't work
This morning, I moved the Tap from the current location to the point where the connector in the cable is coming into the house. The Host output of the Tap goes into the cable going into the house to the main TV and to the Hopper. The Hopper works. The Client output of the Tap goes into the cable going upstairs to the bedroom (approximately 40') and to the Joey. The Joey doesn't work. I get a message to check connections, etc. On the Hopper, it does not seem that Moca is active. I thought maybe the cable going upstairs was bad so I tried a different cable, but no joy.

I moved everything back to the original location, and the Joey is working. I believe everything was wired the same except for the location, but it doesn't work. What am I missing? Thanks.

What type of cable is from the point of entry at the house to the main TV where the Hopper is located? RG59? RG6? Your connections are fine as far as how the tap was connected after you moved it. The only issue I see happening is the section of cable leading from the Hopper to the point of entry may be suspect. If you can leave the tap behind the Hopper and string a temporary piece of cable from there to the Joey, then you might have found your problem. You also said that the dish is 200' from the house? What would be the approximate distance from the point of entry at the house to the Hopper, back to the tap outside, and then on up to the Joey?

All cabling is RG6 and has been in place for some time. My problem is with the Joey, not the Hopper. It is about 20' from the point of entry to the Hopper. I tried running a temporary cable from the tap to the Joey, but that did not correct the problem. I tried unplugging the Joey, disconnecting the cable from the Joey and unplugging, but nothing is working.

Check the pdf manual in the sticky part of this thread. It will show the hookup, minus the modulator. Dish>solonode>Hopper. Other out to Tap. Tap out goes to each of two joeys. If you only have one joey, the tap is not needed. Modulator is a completly different system. Since you are going html from the joey, it would be a simple move.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts