This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Why dont I get all locals?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

md-man

Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I live near Columbia, MD and just got Directv recently. I was told that people that live between two cities could get both cities on Directv. However, once I signed up I only get Baltimore Locals. Why is that? I live near Washington, DC but don't get any of those.

They are assigned by zip code & given to you by local broadcast rights. Some of these magic boundaries surprise me but they are what they are. Wait until you try to figure out your regional sports network. Whoever told you that you could get both was offering bad advise; hopefully not a DTV CSR. If you want the other locals purchase an antenna & point it towards the city that you aren't getting through DTV.

Welcome and not true. Columbia is ether Arundel or Howard county. Laurel is the only one in PG, Arundel, and Howard counties. If you live in either Arundel, or Howard County you get Bmore locals.

Welcome and not true. Columbia is ether Arundel or Howard county. Laurel is the only one in PG, Arundel, and Howard counties. If you live in either Arundel, or Howard County you get Bmore locals.

Gangsta knows his locals; which locals would I get down in hazard county.

Thanks for the replies. I was told wrongly then on the phone when I ordered installation. I'll see what I can do with an antenna. Why wouldn't I be able to pay extra for the DC channels. I mean, I am in its DMA too? In fact, the TV Guide we get says we are in the DC DMA. LOL

We'd all love the option of distant locals being offered at a price (the price is steep for people who do meet waivers for the E/W coast conus) but the problem lies with the local broadcasters loosing their advertising money when we watch our CSI/Survivor/Lost (Would somebody please find these people already) in others cities markets. Advertising that is geared towards LA markets would also be inappropriately targeted towards incorrect markets also. I don't like the rule either but besides "moving" their is little else to be done. Many people were also using it as a poor mans Sunday Ticket, Center Ice, MLB etc...

You could easily put up in OTA and get DC locals without much effort. I can get them from my home and I'm on the fringe.

The problem is that the local cable company may offer both market's locals. I think the DBS companies should have the same ability. Yeah, I know some areas have "significantly viewed" locals stations on DirecTV, but those are few.

Directv has no control of who gets what locals! It all predetermined by magical lines, sometimes they make not sense.

That's not always true between DC and Baltimore. In some locations both cities are significantly viewed and DirecTV has the legal right to deliver a significantly viewed station in any county where that station is significantly viewed. In many such cases DirecTV simply refuses to take full advantage of the legal rights of the subscriber.

You could easily put up in OTA and get DC locals without much effort. I can get them from my home and I'm on the fringe.

I was trying to avoid putting an antenna up. I think after my term is up from Directv, I might just get cable and be done with it. I found out my neighbor gets both DC and Baltimore on Cable. Is there any chance I can cancel my order - I had Directv less than a month.

No, after 3 days you must go 2 years.

A small antenna in your area would get you the other set of locals.

I do it in my area, get one set via sat and one via antenna.

Wow you're like 20 miles from DC. You could install a indoor antenna and get both. To be honest I don't know why you want both since both markets show the same stuff in regards to sports. You going to see the Redskin, and Raven's on Sunday. The Wizards and Capitals during bball and hockey season. The news in both markets covers the same stuff.

Yea, it truly is a service industry. The antenna/DTV-dish solution is so easy it seems like throwing out the baby with the bath water. I purposely left off the DTV locals for years as I had an attic antenna that tuned in all the locals just fine & in better quality. I'm so used to them that I'm adding the AM21 just as soon as I get the SWM wired correctly.

DITTO THIS!

I actually live about 40 miles from DC. I hooked up an outdoor antenna I have had. (Not a permanent setup - just sitting against the house aimed toward DC). I can get some DC analog channels and 5 digital channels. The problem is I wont be able to record any DC channel on my Directv DVR - that is why it would have been nice to have DC channels included. I know programming may be similar but there are differences - some shows are on different times, etc.

Anyways, thanks for the replies.

Status
Please reply by conversation.