Why have it if Quality is bad :no

blkhawk666

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 22, 2004
After reading the re-cap of the chat yesterday and religiously reading the posts, it seems like most are unhappy with the quality of Voom and its picture. So my question is:

Why keep voom if its quality isn't the best as well as compression, firmware and everything that goes hand in hand with Voom?

Just wonder, maybe with the 4th install date so close at had I am having first time jitters!

When I first saw HD Cable on my system there was a WOW factor. The picture with Voom simply did not have the same effect. I am hopeful that there will be improvements to the picture very soon. To me the picture is simply not as sharp as the same HD cable channels. I will give them a chance but I will be quick to pull the plug if I don't see progress in the PQ arena.

WOW factor is not in every single program that is captured in HD. You need to understand what the source of the program is. ESPN-HD, for example, will never give you the wow factor anywhere. TNT-HD (basketball games) will give you more WOW factor. HD movie transfers like The LORD of The Rings will give you the Wow factor when shown in its OAR. Cinema 10 movies will not show the wow factor. These are old movies whose masters are not great to begin with. Look for Wow Factor on Rush, WorldSport, Discovery (when program is not transferred), Hdnews, etc.

No problems or inconveniences that I might have experienced with VOOM can possibly outweigh the privilege of having 37 HD channels (today, not in some distant future!), on my personal scale of priorities anyway...

The reason I'm keeping Voom is a matter of process by elimination. My needs are local team sports, an affordable HD DVR, and good HD programming.

1. Cable: HD package hasterrilble PQ and so bandwidth constrained they can't add any more HD channels, even locals. I subscribe to basic to get my RSN.

2. D*: I have to use Pegasus. D* HD upfront costs are high and they haven't shown enough of a commitment to make me want to get locked into a long term contract. HD Tivo will be unaffordable for at least a year.

3. E*: I have twice signed up only to cancel before install. My main concerns are buggy hardware and the fact that they don't offer existing customers upgrade offers. They could potentially have an affordable HD recorder by the end of the year. But I have read enough to know seeing is beleiving w/ their hardware.

4. V*: Big holes in both HD and SD lineup. STB bugs (mapping, audio drop outs on quick flipping, frame rate loss, occasional blackouts) affect me much. Content on Voom originals is 90% crap, and Divine kinda pissed me off. Voom is still the HD leader. They're new, so I maintain some hope they'll get better. What makes me a huge sucker is that I kinda think the DVR will be both good quality and affordable when it is released later this year. New mpeg4/wma and new sat. could help.

I am sticking with Voom b/c of potential, and the fact that there is no "good" choice out there. But, as I said in other places, I can no longer recommend Voom to my friends and family.

I am trying to compare apples to apples by using the only two channels I have in HD on Voom and Cable (ESPN and HBO.) The picture quality is sharper on my cable over Voom. Don't get me wrong it is a great picture but not a "sharp" as expected.

For me the PQ is clearly better with voom head to head with the same channels from Comcast. This applies to HD's, Locals, and SD's

I cannot speak for any other providers or even other localities with Comcast, but at least for me Voom's PQ is the best I've seen on my tv.

I improved my picture slightly. I received an email from a VOOM person who told me to not use my DVI for now. That after the last update a month ago DVI was doing strange things. I can agree. Suggested use component cables. The picture did improve but not the the level of my old OTA STB but still better. Seems strange the component would be better than DVI. Hope any future firmware upgrade and software will improve quality. I am a new customer of less than one week. I will stick it out and see what happens. I never liked D* or E*. I also have a 10 ft. C-band with 4dtv. Channels are leaving there and that is why I finally decided on Voom and their commitment to HDTV. So I will stick it out but I will not get rid of my OTA STB just yet.

For Me The PQ On VOOM Is Much Better Then D* (HD & SD) But Because Of The Constent Threat Of A Cloud Getting Between My 18 Incher & Rainbow 1 I Can't Recommend VOOM. I Will Wait For The 20X35" Dish To Make My Final Decision.

jwaltz666 said:
For me the PQ is clearly better with voom head to head with the same channels from Comcast. This applies to HD's, Locals, and SD's

I cannot speak for any other providers or even other localities with Comcast, but at least for me Voom's PQ is the best I've seen on my tv.

Ive posted before that I agree with origanal poster. My comcast was noticably better channel vs channel then Voom.

I am holding out for the same reasons as others. I love Voom and will stick with them!

Putting the PQ issue aside (although it is very important to me in the end) The content of VOOM is think is very good for a service that is just a little more than 6 months old. Actually I have not seen some of those old movies in a very long time and kind of enjoy them again but in better quality (although not the finest yet).

VOOM only has so much money to play with and with 10,000 subs, they loose money every day. Iwould rather they hold with the channels they have and get the PQ up. I want to use my DVI again. I think half the problem is Motorola. I have never been impressed with their products and I also have a 4DTV receiver from them that they have abandoned.

blkhawk666 said:
After reading the re-cap of the chat yesterday and religiously reading the posts, it seems like most are unhappy with the quality of Voom and its picture. So my question is:

Why keep voom if its quality isn't the best as well as compression, firmware and everything that goes hand in hand with Voom?

Just wonder, maybe with the 4th install date so close at had I am having first time jitters!
because there are 37 channels of HD on voom. and Directv's 6 HD channels will cost an extra 34 dollars and a 300 dollar hd reciever and when you flip through them in 6 seconds and everythings repeats you get really pissed. And then when you read of entire satellites Murdoch wants to use to become king of the local in local it pisses you off even more.

gutter said:
Putting the PQ issue aside (although it is very important to me in the end) The content of VOOM is think is very good for a service that is just a little more than 6 months old. Actually I have not seen some of those old movies in a very long time and kind of enjoy them again but in better quality (although not the finest yet).

VOOM only has so much money to play with and with 10,000 subs, they loose money every day. Iwould rather they hold with the channels they have and get the PQ up. I want to use my DVI again. I think half the problem is Motorola. I have never been impressed with their products and I also have a 4DTV receiver from them that they have abandoned.

I too have a cband setup. I used to be a cband dealer.
I just turned on my 4dtv again after having a bad actuator for the last year. Just had the time to replace it.
I still think the cband SD picture is the best around! uncompressed and virgin like. I have never had problems with my GI or motorola recievers. I do know however If you dont have the backup battery replaced before it goes. You can expect a 175.00 board replacement. I did notice lots of channels have gone away but there still is lots of great feeds.

I plan on using my 4dtv and voom side by side for years to come.
HOPEFULLY ;)

ICEshark.

The same here. I won't give up the 4dtv or Cband but I got voom as my backup and of course for HDTV

I guess I don't get it or see it.

My V* picture quality is/was as good as D* over DVI or component. I dropped D* completely after A-B'ing for a month.

I don't have black-outs over any connection. My audio drop-outs are so infrequent now it's inconsequential.

Signal drops during inclement weather are/were the same as D*.

I'm happy as a pig in sh*t with V*.

Mr. Biggles said:
I guess I don't get it or see it.

My V* picture quality is/was as good as D* over DVI or component. I dropped D* completely after A-B'ing for a month.

I don't have black-outs over any connection. My audio drop-outs are so infrequent now it's inconsequential.

Signal drops during inclement weather are/were the same as D*.

I'm happy as a pig in sh*t with V*.
A "glowing" review if I've ever heard one-lol

eschu97611 said:
A "glowing" review if I've ever heard one-lol

That funny huh?

I guess I can't come to grips with the constant whiners/bitchers/complainers around here. If it's constructive critiscism, then great, but sounding off like little children...well, come to your own conclusion.

I actually got rid of comcast to switch to voom, not because of picture quality, but because of signal quality. OTA's are glitch free for me... Sat is glitch free for me (even in the rain). With Comcast, the OTA's were unwatchable, and the only watchable HD channels they had were InHD and InHD2, both of which still had frequent glitches. I tried 4 times to have comcast fix it, and gave them a month. No improvement, so i ordered Voom. VERY happy with my decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts