Why I am happy to have Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The guy that took this picture claims he never lost service

26730897_10203942252232237_6725211079960938240_n.jpg

I was running Dish along with PS Vue. Our Dish service went out and that ment no DVR recordings. Our Vue was out too but since it was a cloud DVR all our recordings were there.

There is on demand with Dish but with commercials. So we got to watch our shows commercial free with Vue. So no OTT people aren't screwed.

It can go either way. When any service is down live TV is out. At least with some OTT services you have cloud DVR.

Plus if need be you can watch OTT on a tablet or phone using cell data. Kinda like Dish anywhere. I mean if having TV Is that important and you have to watch that moment.

I can believe that, depending on the density of the snow. Depending where you are though, a steeper elevation could collect a lot more snow. ;)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 158
Reactions: littlecloud319
I was running Dish along with PS Vue. Our Dish service went out and that ment no DVR recordings. Our Vue was out too but since it was a cloud DVR all our recordings were there.

There is on demand with Dish but with commercials. So we got to watch our shows commercial free with Vue. So no OTT people aren't screwed.

It can go either way. When any service is down live TV is out. At least with some OTT services you have cloud DVR.

Plus if need be you can watch OTT on a tablet or phone using cell data. Kinda like Dish anywhere. I mean if having TV Is that important and you have to watch that moment.

I was referring to the customers in my neighborhood who had neither Internet nor traditional linear service from AT&T or Spectrum. Without Internet service, the OTT customers were in the same boat at that time. Cell service sucks in my neighborhood, and we had about a foot of unplowed snow on the roads, so most people could not get out to where there would be good signal easily or safely.

My point was my decision to differentiate the methods by which I receive the various services I subscribe to was beneficial in this case. Typically, I would expect Fiber to be more reliable than satellite, and I was not trying to throw shade at OTT in particular. If my Dish service had gone out for an extended period of time while my Internet stayed up, I would be happy that I could sub to an OTT service while waiting for Dish to get fixed.

Also, not all OTT services have cloud DVR like PS Vue, although hopefully that will change soon.

Reactions: Gobucks
..and stuck without MSG for Sabres games..not that they're worth watching this year anyway....

I don't have Dish, so it doesn't bother me personally. I haven't watched much Sabres coverage this season with how awful they've been. I am however pissed that Charter shutdown Time Warner's low budget sports channel though. They carried a good portion of Amerks games. Finally they are showing up and having an awesome season, but no one really sees them, MSG Western NY picked up a paltry five of their games. Time Warner/Spectrum Sports also used to carry some Bandits and KHawks games.

I don't have Dish, so it doesn't bother me personally. I haven't watched much Sabres coverage this season with how awful they've been. I am however pissed that Charter shutdown Time Warner's low budget sports channel though. They carried a good portion of Amerks games. Finally they are showing up and having an awesome season, but no one really sees them, MSG Western NY picked up a paltry five of their games. Time Warner/Spectrum Sports also used to carry some Bandits and KHawks games.
Yeah, I seen the Amerks were doing good. Hopefully that bodes well for Buffalo down the road

My own interesting take on the thread topic...

Why I am happy to have both dishes (Eastern Arc and Western Arc)

I was watching my local news this morning, when in the middle of the newscast, I started getting bad pixilation, and then the picture and sound froze and went out completely. Figuring that this was due to the wet, sticky snow accumulating on the Western Arc dish on my roof (the roof was the only place I could get line of sight to Western Arc) I switched to a different receiver connected to the Eastern Arc dish on the side of my house. As I expected, the locals were coming in fine on that receiver. (Thankfully, my HD locals are on both arcs.) After the newscast was over, I went out and checked to make sure I was right about the problem with the snow. Sure enough, my Western Arc dish was completely coated with snow, while my Eastern Arc dish barely had a light dusting on it. Also, I have Spectrum internet, so if the signal goes out on my Eastern Arc dish, I can just stream the Super Bowl on my laptop as long as I still have internet. Or, I could just brush the snow off that dish to get the signal back. (OTA as a backup is a no-go in this situation, since the signal barely comes in when we have good weather.)

Reactions: NYDutch
I wonder how the Dish eastern arc dishes fared in the recent southeast snow/ice storm. With elevations in the 48-50 degree neighborhood, I'd think there may have been some significant buildup on them.
We got a pure snow and it collect on both Dish eastern Arc and Hughesnet, I had tp sweep the fluffy snow off to restore signal

Reactions: NYDutch
We got a pure snow and it collect on both Dish eastern Arc and Hughesnet, I had tp sweep the fluffy snow off to restore signal

With your ~49 degree elevation, I'm not surprised the snow didn't just slide right off. Where we are in southern Florida right now, our EA dish is at 56 degrees, and I've even had leaves catch in it... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)