Why I love C band programming

Status
Please reply by conversation.
yea.. he "thought" he had haggled & bargained with them and gotten a good deal. No DVR Fee, no HD "access" Fee, no locals fee, no second room receiver fee,no fee for not hooking up the phone line, .. free HBO & cinemax.. boy did they show him!
I guess when you are doing this over the phone, it's just going to be your word against theirs.. if they go "nope.. no record of that". .. you're just SOL.
I just grin and say,.. "yea.. NPS upped my programming costs too.. went up $3 but they added a few channels... contract? whazzat? "

Free To Air programming is completely different than Pay TV programming. A lot of religious, ethnic, and network feeds. It is not an alternative or even on the same league as Pay TV.

The FTA channels are un-encrypted and available free without any contracts, subscription, or monthly payment. It makes sense to have an FTA "motorized" system, specially if you are the DIY tech guy type.

Some people are satisfied with the few channels they get with an FTA system. However, if you are looking for the premium channels (i.e. HBO, etc) without strings attached, I would recommend the Dish NOW system. It is a pre-paid, pay as you go, system offered by Dish Network. It is only available through authorized Dish Network dealers, such as Sadoun.

When my 18 month Dish contract ended last July, the monthly payment was going to jump to a price that I couldn't justify, so I dropped it. I called Direct tv, and even though I had been a subscriber in the past, was assured that I could sign up for the promotion price, but I couldn't get past the fine print. I live in the country and the phone co. had put a "fiber to the home" cable down my road to feed a new subdivision past me. I signed up just to add cable, but in order to qualify for the promotion, I had to get the "call feature" package for my telco service. The 6 month promotion is over, so we're paying full price, plus $18 month for a "call feature" package. I have locked myself into a contract, with all the fine print, until August and can hardly wait to cancel cable and go back to OTA & fta only. I was happy when all I had was OTA. I can live with network news & pbs and the cool stuff on ku. And I'll have a financial news channel, if I quit prograstinating & get my cband dish installed. What more could a person need. Yeah, I'll be looking for a 922 someday for some paid programming, but not for a while.

$64 a month is cable robbery rates to me. Even if you pay NPS's new higher prices for the absolute digital for a year it comes to around $37 a month. No strings, no contracts, no local taxes. To me that's the winning hand :D :D
I don't have a contract since I purchased the receivers and there are no local taxes (yet).

My family watches only about 10 of the channels out of the 250 or so from Dish Network. Its sad that the feds didn't force them to offer a-la-carte. But we love the DVRs and unless I'm wrong I don't think there are any 4DTV DVRs?

Last edited:
I love the programming I get from SRL on my DSR410. The package has all my favorite channels, and for $32 a month when I pay quarterly I can't complain. $32, thats it.

NO:
taxes
dvr fee
local channel fee
lease fee
"you dont have a phone line" fee
missed recordings due to rain fade outages

While there is no official integrated dvr product for 4dtv, I use a philips dvdr3575h that I bought from walmart together with my DSR410. I set the timers on the 410, set the same timers on the dvr and get all the shows I want recorded directly to the hard drive. The quality is perfect and if I want to archive a show or movie, I can make a dvd easily.

You know I have a business. My contracts are easy to read without fine print.
I don't put anything hidden in my contracts and you don't have to be a Harvard Law graduate to read them.

If everyone else would follow this business model, the world would be a better place to live and deal with.

When the print is that small with all the astricks, cross symbols etc, somebody is hiding something from the average joe who either has bad eye sight or is in a hurry because they have too much to do while they sign the dotted line.

Thats exactly why i don't have pizza or cable. i am going to be cell phone - Less here before long. I am getting a prepaid phone of some type that will only be used for rare situations.
I don't text message, surf the web, or sit and gab on a cell phone for 4000 minutes per month anyway.

Lets say the average cellphone bill is 80.00 per month. Take that amount x 12 months.
720.00 per year. What can you do with 720.00? You could take a little vacation and go somewhere nice that you have never been before, You could fix up your home a little or decorate. You could do some customizing on your favorite car, truck or motorcycle.

You could start a savings account and in a few years....it would add up.

I think we all need to stop and think about all this nickel and diming we are giving for these services that we may not actually be utilizing.

I am OTA DTV and C/KU FTA. Very happy with it.

Living near some local businesses that have open WiFi routers, i could almost ditch my DSL and save 32.00 more per month LOL

You know I have a business. My contracts are easy to read without fine print.
I don't put anything hidden in my contracts and you don't have to be a Harvard Law graduate to read them.

If everyone else would follow this business model, the world would be a better place to live and deal with.

AMEN Brother!:up

Free To Air programming is completely different than Pay TV programming. A lot of religious, ethnic, and network feeds. It is not an alternative or even on the same league as Pay TV.

The FTA channels are un-encrypted and available free without any contracts, subscription, or monthly payment. It makes sense to have an FTA "motorized" system, specially if you are the DIY tech guy type.

Some people are satisfied with the few channels they get with an FTA system. However, if you are looking for the premium channels (i.e. HBO, etc) without strings attached, I would recommend the Dish NOW system. It is a pre-paid, pay as you go, system offered by Dish Network. It is only available through authorized Dish Network dealers, such as Sadoun.

I will second this as well. With my outdoor Antenna, I can get over 15 channels OTA(sub channels included). This works great during the NFL season since I can get channels from 2 different markets where I am, and get up to(including the National games on NBC, and ESPN) about 6 different games a week. The Steelers are the most important game to me, obviously, but I will not plunk down $300+tax for any NFL package for all the games because I get a real nice variety of them.

Then with the Dish NOW!/YA! set-up, I completely control the costs of what I want to watch, when I want to watch it. Let's face it, most of the stuff on cable is just endless repeats anyway. So if I want to watch a certain channel, I just pay for it for 1 day, watch what I want(or send it to my DVR to watch it later), and then it is gone. No contracts, no ties. NO MONTHLY FEES, just DAILY, which can really lower your costs.

Granted, I can't get any Regional Sports Networks with it. And although I love my Pittsburgh Pirates(a moment of silence please), I still get them on radio for FREE. And if they ever do anything again in my lifetime(doubtful), they will be put on ESPN or FOX so I can either watch them for free, or just pay about $1 to watch the game.

Also, no HD, which is a turn off for most people, but I have found OTA HD to be plenty IMHO, and a rented movie on Blu-Ray.

And that each receiver is good for only one room, but that is fine with me too. OTA HD in the bedroom, along with Blu-Ray, is ample for me.

But to each there own.

While there is no official integrated dvr product for 4dtv, I use a philips dvdr3575h that I bought from walmart together with my DSR410. I set the timers on the 410, set the same timers on the dvr and get all the shows I want recorded directly to the hard drive. The quality is perfect and if I want to archive a show or movie, I can make a dvd easily.

I have the same Philips unit. It's the greatest thing. I use it with the 4DTV and OTA. I bought mine at Sam's Club on the bargain table and got the last one. It's the best $169 I ever spent.

If you can still find them, I highly recommend them.

i thought about that phillips unit. I am glad others like it. Makes me want to go get one now.
I wish i had something to record HD from pansat 9200. I know i can connect an esata external drive but i have read mixed reviews on this subject and i know all esata drives don't seem to work with the pansat (imagine that ....pansat having software bugs LOL)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts