Why I love DTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

defgufman

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Savannah Georgia
So I go online to check my bill, and they offer me a free whole home HD DVR with free shipping if I self install. Great, except I don't want to crawl under the house and run the additional cables required and then screw it up and have to call for an install anyways and be out X dollars. I called DTV and asked about it, and their answer....wait for the box and don't activate it..Once you get it call us and we are authorized to give you a free install....That is awesome. I have been with them for 10 years and never missed cable because Comcast would do nothing for it's customers...DTV always goes the extra mile...sorry for the love-fest, but they have always treated me right. :)

No need to apologize. It's well-known that we're apt to read the problems here and not when things are going well.

I've been with DirecTV since '99 and have had virtually no issues. I did have one issue with an erroneous charge (Autopay) but it was cleared up with 1 phone call to CSR.

I upgraded to HD in Aug '08 and had no problems with the install. I did have one HR22 that went out a couple of months after the upgrade but had a replacement delivered with no issues.

Regarding the 2-yr commitment, I admit that it would be nice not to have to commit to that but since I have no plans to switch providers, it's a moot point for me.

As a sports viewer, Direct is the leader in that category so I can't see making a switch anytime soon.

I'll add to the D* love.

We got service 2 days ago and so far its awesome. The VOD & MRV is most of what I was missing on E*. I didn't realize how much I missed VOD until now. Its even better than what the local Cable Co has.

On the 2 year commitment...I agree both with the desire not to have it, and the fact that it does not matter...I'm going no where....I can't, they have Sunday Ticket..

If I had known our bill was going to triple in price , We would have NEVER signed any dang 2 year contract!!

Cable = price increase, cancel that month
Directv = 18 more long months and they raise the price about every 3 months!! I can't wait until our contract runs out! I will never be with directv EVER again!!

If I had known our bill was going to triple in price , We would have NEVER signed any dang 2 year contract!!

Directv = 18 more long months and they raise the price about every 3 months!! I can't wait until our contract runs out! I will never be with directv EVER again!!
I have never had my DirecTV bill increase more than once a year. With the exception of when I've made programming subscription changes.

D* adjusts pricing 1 time a year, usually in March, thats it, if you bill is changing regularly,then you buying /adding on channels or promotions are dropping off.

No need to apologize. It's well-known that we're apt to read the problems here and not when things are going well.

I've been with DirecTV since '99 and have had virtually no issues. I did have one issue with an erroneous charge (Autopay) but it was cleared up with 1 phone call to CSR.

I upgraded to HD in Aug '08 and had no problems with the install. I did have one HR22 that went out a couple of months after the upgrade but had a replacement delivered with no issues.

Regarding the 2-yr commitment, I admit that it would be nice not to have to commit to that but since I have no plans to switch providers, it's a moot point for me.

As a sports viewer, Direct is the leader in that category so I can't see making a switch anytime soon.

Fwiw, your replacement recvr / defective should NOT have been on a NEW commitment, should have continued with the one you were on.

What did you have then and what do you have now that caused your price to go up every three months. If it is going up that often you are adding programming or ordering ppv. They raise it once a year generally.

60.00 for the first 6 months plus nfl package not in HD I had hd package and the aholes told me it would cost more to get the games in hd. what a crock of sh..

177.00 18 months

Now that price did almost tripled.

that is highway robbery!!

i reported them to the BBB and of course nothing happened! theses people are raping customers!!

What package do you have, and how many receivers? DVRs? All the sports?

I am sorry, I just am not understanding exactly what you are saying. It sounds like you had a promo at first. After that it is understandable that it would go up, but not after three months. The promo should be for a year if I am not mistaken (well I guess it depends which promo it is), someone else can correct that if I am wrong.

As to your price going from $60 to $170, what did you add to make it go that high? The highest package price is around $114 or so. Even adding HD and a DVR fee that is only at $130 ish. That is alot of extra receiver fees to get from $130 to $170 (at $5 or so bucks a pop) unless you added another sports package and broke up the billing over a few months. If that is the case, that is hardly the fault of D*.

I am just trying to understand it is all. Perhaps we can figure out what the problem is.

Just posting a "good svc" story here:

Longtime DTV cust. Had roof (shingles) replaced last week. Had to remove my SL5 dish. DTV Tech showed up the next morning (after I instruced the roofer crew to shingle a certain rear corner section first ;)). Tech arrived, with a call before arriving, within the 1st hour of the scheduled time window. Installed the dish and peaked the signals.

I recorded my signals before removing my dish and compared them to the ones after re-installing. Signals were higher after the Tech re-installed the dish. My original sig's weren't too low beforehand but I was averaging around the mid-80's on the 99 and 119, if I recall.

The Tech waived the $50.00 fee. I don't have the Protection Plan but the CSR mentioned that this svc wasn't covered under that plan (?). I had thought that it was covered but regardless, I didn't have to pay for the svc call.

I did mention to the Tech about several SonicTap channels being on the 119 and he was surprised at that. The Tech and I had a good discussion about general DTV things.

I was curious about the alignment procedure for the SL5. Here's how it looked like the Tech did it:

He used his signal meter to coarse-align to the 101. I saw 100% indicated on his dB meter.

He then adjusted the Asimuth and Skew wcrew adjustments (I think that's what those are called). I noticed that he didn't check the signals coming from the other LMB coax cables. When I asked about that, he mentioned that they use a formula, something along the lines of "peak the 101, then divide by a certain #, which determines the # of turns to adjust the screws for azimuth and/or skew."

All I know is that it seems aligned well.

What package do you have, and how many receivers? DVRs? All the sports?

I am sorry, I just am not understanding exactly what you are saying. It sounds like you had a promo at first. After that it is understandable that it would go up, but not after three months. The promo should be for a year if I am not mistaken (well I guess it depends which promo it is), someone else can correct that if I am wrong.

As to your price going from $60 to $170, what did you add to make it go that high? The highest package price is around $114 or so. Even adding HD and a DVR fee that is only at $130 ish. That is alot of extra receiver fees to get from $130 to $170 (at $5 or so bucks a pop) unless you added another sports package and broke up the billing over a few months. If that is the case, that is hardly the fault of D*.

I am just trying to understand it is all. Perhaps we can figure out what the problem is.

Umm get everything for 59.99 a month with NFL sunday ticket for first 5 months. Then your price goes through the roof if you don't go down to a lower package.

Although I have to admit I am amazed by how many customers seem to forget that the price will go up after the promo.

Umm get everything for 59.99 a month with NFL sunday ticket for first 5 months. Then your price goes through the roof if you don't go down to a lower package.

Although I have to admit I am amazed by how many customers seem to forget that the price will go up after the promo.

Yes, it will go up, but he said it went from $60 to $170. That is quite the increase. I am just trying to figure out how it went that high, if it did. Thats alot of add ons and extra receiver fees. lol

As far as price goes for me,I have D* Premier Package,& my monthly bill fluctuates only because I have automatic renewal for NFL Sunday Ticket,NHL Center Ice,& MLB Extra innings. It's no problem for me & I have no complaints about it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts