Why I think HDTivo is a LOT better than dish HD PVR

markusian

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
I will not be using my HD PVR to record insectia or trading spaces. I'll use it to record Jay Leno, David Letterman and everybody loves Raymond.

So, two OTA tuners + local channel PG are significantly more appealing, specially that Leno and Letterman air at the same time. I can watch one and record the to other.

My point is that OTA HD has more material than satellite and most people will use their PVRs for OTA.

In my area, I can get about 18 DTV OTA, with about 8 of them in HD after 8:00 PM.

- Mark

markusian said:
I will not be using my HD PVR to record insectia or trading spaces. I'll use it to record Jay Leno, David Letterman and everybody loves Raymond.

So, two OTA tuners + local channel PG are significantly more appealing, specially that Leno and Letterman air at the same time. I can watch one and record the to other.

My point is that OTA HD has more material than satellite and most people will use their PVRs for OTA.

In my area, I can get about 18 DTV OTA, with about 8 of them in HD after 8:00 PM.

- Mark
Nice that you can get DTV OTA. There's millions of us out here that can't get any OTA let alone DTV. So, "most" may not be entirely correct. Remember, we're the ones that got all this started with our BUDs :) Eventually, there will be more HD content for us - I can't wait for Dish to get off their duff and put at least ABC, NBC and FOX HD feeds up like they have CBS.

People need to understand that the 921 is a DISH Sat DVR with OTA capabilities. There are other dedicated OTA recording solutions. I understand that the 921 offers a single tuner for this feature and that I also expect it to work as well as the sat side of the receiver but I won't knock the 921 because it lacks OTA capabilities just as I don't hold it against the 921 because it fails to offer Cable tuner.

People who really need an OTA DVR should buy an OTA DVR or wait for the HDTIVO which is very soon to be shipping. I do want a Dish sat DVR and the 921 does that well!

The first 168 HD Tivos are shipping this week. More will ship each week.

There are over 1,000 on Pre-Order, mostly a Valueelectroncis, and Good Guys. They both had Pre-Orders for $899. $100 less than the 921.

I wonder if Dish will match the $899 price on the 921 once they start shipping again? It has one less OTA Tuner in it.

Go to the Tivo Comun forum for details.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)