Why is Dish shutting down the 721?

It's sort of open platform - all system located on disk and could be inspected freely. Same for 921, Dish swallow it for a few years, but now they find a good reason to kill the two models.
smith u right but also its more models way i here like the 811,942,721,7200,7100 maybe more im getting old lol memory not as good..everyone has there own opion but i feal deal is real bad keeping your old equment the recivers will be junk was told sometime in aug be last then all these recivers will get is black screen..

This is my first post and I want to begin by thanking everyone here for all of the information that I have received in the past by just reading posts. So thank you.

I am writing today to those who have participated in the "Discontinued Receiver Program". I have 5 receivers that fall under this program: one 721, one 7200 and three 7100 models.

With these receivers I do not pay any DVR fees and I do not want to start.

My question is about the "free" nature of the program. I understand that if I accept the replacement receivers that Dish is offering I will not have to pay for them, but they will be leased. All of my current receivers are owned by me.

So, I pay additional receiver fees of $5 for each of the receivers after the first one.
When Dish says that there will be no lease fees on the replacement receivers does that mean that I will not pay the additional receiver fee, which I believe is for owned receivers, and that I will not pay a lease fee on the replacement receivers? Hard to believe, unless Dish is saying that in exchange for closing down the receivers that I paid for I can use one of their receivers for free.

The main problem that I have with the program is that Dish is offering a 508 for each of my 7100 models and my 7200 model. I understand that it is a single tuner for a single turner, but the difference in the interface alone is enough for me to consider it a downgrade. For those of you who have given up a 7100 or a 7200, have you been able to get something other than a 508? Is there another single sat tuner model that I could ask for?

One last question, is it correct that Dish will give you a $10 credit for returning the old receivers and, if so, how long do you have to do so and who pays for the shipping?

Thanks in advance for any help.
hi bud im gald u posted this, well yes to this ? my opion ive had 7100,7200 dont hasate swap them out the 508 is much much better, it seams be much faster and beter guide , piture ,quieter i can almost garentie u be much happer .. the 508 is real nice ok now this 508 has other models same type reciver only deffrence is h-drive size, models are smallest to bigest are 501, 508, 510, if u went out bought them with out this stupid up grade a dvr fee aplyes to the 508 and 510.. not the 501 so my opion is see if u can get a 501 i love this reciver, its peg 2 but nice if not take the 508 u be fine.. the 5 dollor fee is same as before no mater what reciver after 1st one.. everyone pays this.. there is a 7 dollor hd fee there waving for newre recivers like 622 722 is what peeps are talking about [does not aply to 50xs] also i think a dvr fee. now i was just told fees waved for 1yr on this upgrade which there not telling everyone not sure if this is true.. shipping dish will pay all with the 50xs no tech comes ups comes with new reciver and there be returned lable on box no cost to u for shipping.. going from a 7100 or 7200 to a 50x is a upgrade 50xs are newer better reciver u have noithing to loose.. only proplem u may have if i remember right been awhile for me ,your lnb types on dish is the old legacy type the older 7100 are legacy the 50xs are dp so u need a dp or dpp twin lnb so make sure dish send 1 easey to change.. or u can get a dp adaptor instead of lnb my opion id go dpp twin hope this helps and not confusing you

well st thats why i was mad its a ripp off when u get a leased reciver in place of a owned one ..

It's not in place of the one you own, it in addition too.

Stargazer said:
You are FORCED to take the leased receiver if you want to continue to watch programming in the room that the 721 existed in otherwise your service in that room will be shut off. That is pretty hard to swallow when you have to pay $550 for it.

How long ago did you buy that 721? Seriously, I have $1000+ equipment that is obsolete. For that matter, I paid $400+ from my 4500 receiver. There is no $100 receiver except for when they are sold at a loss to get new customers (like free cell phones or printers that cost less that the replacement ink).

And you are not forced to give up the owned receiver, so you have lost no property. You get to use a replacement receiver, free of extra charges as long as you like. Hell of a deal if you ask me.

When the cell carriers here turned off the equipment needed to use my old phone, the replacement they offered was no where near as capable. Poor signal, dropped calls, shorter battery life.

if u went out bought them with out this stupid up grade a dvr fee aplyes to the 508 and 510.. not the 501

The DVR fee is only for the 510. Neither the 501 or 508 have DVR fees.

only proplem u may have if i remember right been awhile for me ,your lnb types on dish is the old legacy type the older 7100 are legacy the 50xs are dp so u need a dp or dpp twin lnb so make sure dish send 1 easey to change.. or u can get a dp adaptor instead of lnb my opion id go dpp twin hope this helps and not confusing you
All the DishPro receivers will work fine with the legacy LNBs. The problem is the revers, legacy reievers with DP LNBs. My 501 and 301 are hooked to my legacy quad LNB.

It's not in place of the one you own, it in addition too. yes i know which is a big ripp off i signed contract wiyh my owned stuff also pay insurance fee for my stuff to work its big ripp off the upgrade u dont replace owed with lease

if u own stuff u payed for it.. so yes u lost m oney if dont work .. can6t even sell your old stuff it be junk soon.. dp will not work with legacy .. u must be special..

dp will not work with legacy .. u must be special..

A DP receiver will work with a legacy LNB. Where did you get info that says other wise? The only adapter that exists if for using legacy receivers with DP LNBs.

From the Echostar Knowledge Base, EKB: DishPro Technology
The DishPro receivers listed above can be used directly with either DishPro or legacy LNBFs and switches.
Legacy receivers, as mentioned above, require an adapter when connected to DishPro LNBFs and switches.

Yeah, they give me a leased receiver to replace my owned receiver that I HAVE TO RETURN WHEN I WANT TO DEACTIVATE IT!!! With an owned receiver I can keep it or sell it. If I wanted to just deactivate the one receiver I could then activate it later on if I wanted to. I do not have this flexibility with a leased receiver. I have to send it back then pay money and wait for it to come back everytime I would want to get one on the account again instead of just reactivating the unit.

On the other hand, I try to look at things two different ways and they did replace it with another receiver. I did get 10 more hours of storage time on my DVR and have name based recording which is a huge plus. If it were not for the name based recording then I would see no real advantage of the 522 over my 721. It does have two tv outputs but I use it in single user mode so that is no benefit to me. Thing is I expect them to replace the receiver if it was due to something that was not the fault of my own since I pay them for programming each month and bought the receiver to begin with and do not see it as if they done me a favor. They done it for their benefit not mine. The only reason the receiver is no longer going to be good is due to the fact that Dish Network is choosing to make the receivers good any longer.

Sorry guys... 722 gfrtr sqoiump moey bak i u shuld to. i dret ie dekuyttr hgridenvvc alountin dpp EA, e! whut kelle fir gose lose 5800. whur is wuldo, a dp34 chunt dpribe adush.

Hope I don't get booted off for that, but what happened to 3rd grade English?:confused:

dish intaller brought me my new reciver yesterday, i kinda made out better then expected he gave me a 722k instead of the 622, he recalled dish made sure what i said was correct so i made out owning the 722k for 100 dollors all fees waved.. so im happer now lol anyone know deffrence between 722 and 722k ?? Also what is this new sling guide ??

Fee

dish intaller brought me my new reciver yesterday, i kinda made out better then expected he gave me a 722k instead of the 622, he recalled dish made sure what i said was correct so i made out owning the 722k for 100 dollors all fees waved.. so im happer now lol anyone know deffrence between 722 and 722k ?? Also what is this new sling guide ??

J8
Do I understand correctly that you had an owned 721 and now you have a leased 722k and that this cost you $100 installed? Also you have no dvr fee on the 722k?
If so, have you checked your bill to verify?
Thanks.

Has anyone else received a receiver other than a 522 for a 721 and still have had the dvr fee waived?

Thanks.

J8
Do I understand correctly that you had an owned 721 and now you have a leased 722k and that this cost you $100 installed? Also you have no dvr fee on the 722k?
If so, have you checked your bill to verify?
Thanks.

Has anyone else received a receiver other than a 522 for a 721 and still have had the dvr fee waived?

Thanks.
no joe i bitched about this upgrade alot.. i eneded up buying a 721k ownining it { not leased} all fees waived for 100 bucks so i ened up paying 100 bucks for new owned 721k

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)