Why is Dish shutting down the 721?

Got letter yesterday, called this morning. My 722 is owned. The 522 will be leased (no charge) and the DVR fee will be waived. Guess only time will tell if the info given by the CSR is correct or if I'm going to have to fight with them.

Got letter yesterday, called this morning. My 722 is owned. The 522 will be leased (no charge) and the DVR fee will be waived. Guess only time will tell if the info given by the CSR is correct or if I'm going to have to fight with them.

I assume you REALLY mean 721.
(you sure as hell AREN'T trading down from a 722 to a 522... :confused: :eek: )

When you replace a 721 with a 522 because the company is phasing out the 721, they will waive the DVR Fee as well as the Phone Line Fee. You didn't have them before and will not have them in the future. Check your next bill or go online and look at future statements. If it is there, call them back. If they show up, it's because the CSR didn't use the proper promotion.
Can anyone else confirm that they will waive the DVR fee and how to get it waived. I was advised by a CSR that they will not waive it.

I have two 721's and have not yet got a letter. I am unfamiliar with the new receivers. On their website they have a 625 available, but no 522. When I searched for user manuals they were the same for the 625 and 522. What is the difference between the two? Also, why would I want to have a leased receiver when I own my receiver now?

Thanks, Mitch

IIRC, only difference is 625 has a little large hard drive.
As long as they ONLY charge $5 for the lease on this receiver, (assuming it's NOT the first box on your account) what difference does it make? If it's the ONLY receiver on your account, I agree, you should not get hit with a lease charge for this changeout.

I am giving up a piece of equipment that I own for something I don't own. What is the advantage to leasing?

Right now I have two active receivers, the 721 and a 508. My other 721 is on my account but inactive. Are you referring to the second receiver fee as the five dollar lease?

Do you know how many hours the 522 holds versus the 625?

Mitch

Dish made wise decision when they start charging "PVR [DVR] fee" for first PVR510 and other new receivers - they knew about TiVo patent violation and did want create a fund to payoff of future lawsuit. :(

What happens if you previously had a 721 on your account (owned) but now not currently active? Can we still trade it in for one of the other receivers?

OK- let me see if I've got this straight.

I can expect to be contacted in the near future about turning in my owned 721 in exchange for a leased 522. At a time when 522s and 625s are in short supply. Or are they in short supply because they've been set aside for use in this exchange program?

It seems likely, but not definite, that I will not be charged the DVR fee or lease fee after the exchange. My bill should not change, unless there's something funky about the additional receiver fee.

In fact, owning mostly amounts to the possibility of selling the receiver at the end of it's use to me. Since the current value of the 721 is very low, I will be in fact losing very little by moving to an item that is leased but without the lease charge.

That leaves, for me, two big questions:

1. How long do I have before I must agree to the trade, or my 721 stops functioning? Or is that the choice we face? I have approx 70 hours of programming on my 721.

2. Are they making an offer to move up to a ViP DVR?

FWIW, I have a 508, 721 and ViP 722. I'd be inclined to put an HD receiver where the 721 is, even though I currently have only a 27" SD TV there.

The ViP DVRs will record HD. The 522 and 625 won't. The ViP DVRs also receive MPEG-4 broadcasts, something else the 522/625 don't. Right now, only HD and some locals (and possibly some internationals) are transmitted in MPEG-4. Everything else is in MPEG-2. But the use of MPEG-4 will spread, so this 522/625 business is only a stopgap measure to buy time. A year? Two? Who knows?

I don't see any advantage to the 522/625 over the 721, except for recording time. And 8PSK. Am I missing something?

The 522's were garbage if you ask me. I do not know how many of those 522 I had to replace for my customers before dish came out with the 625. I had one customer where it took 3 522's before I found one that worked. I sure hope they have fixed those 522's they are giving out.

I really don't understand why they aren't upgrading these folks to MPEG4 receivers. They are just going to have to change them out again when they drop all the MPEG2 signals. What a waste of time.

I really don't understand why they aren't upgrading these folks to MPEG4 receivers. They are just going to have to change them out again when they drop all the MPEG2 signals. What a waste of time.

Because right now they ONLY upgrade to MPEG4 for HD customers - since people like myself w/721 will probably NOT get HD, (I certainly won't, since I ONLY have E* for supers & PI's) then E* would be wasting their money giving somebody like me an HD box. Not to mention the fact, I sure as hell will NOT pay an "HD enabling fee", just because I now have an HD box on my account. (now maybe if they would waive the HD fee, then it might be another story...)

Also, they will NOT be dropping MPEG2 SD signals for quite awhile - by that time, these receivers will probably need to be replaced AGAIN, so again, why should E* spend more $$$ to do so?

Now, I'm SURE that for those folks that WOULD like to upgrade to an HD MPEG4 box, they'll be glad to do it - but most likely NOT for free!

Claude- Is Dishstore taking in 721s toward a ViP DVR under any sort of deal?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts