Why is Dish shutting down the 721?

I am not letting Dish Network having a receiver I paid $550 for, for a measly $10. Forget it. The hard drive is worth more than that. Do they want the remote back too when you return the receiver? Even the remote costs more than $10.

Then keep it. I've seen nothing that implies you have to return it.

Re-purpose it. I've got the source code as released somewhere. Never looked at it real close, as some important stuff was missing, but the basic linux system is there.

Could make a nice set top player if you can get the network and the TV out working. Use it to store captured video, DivX, and such.

I am not letting Dish Network having a receiver I paid $550 for, for a measly $10. Forget it. The hard drive is worth more than that. Do they want the remote back too when you return the receiver? Even the remote costs more than $10.

Have you looked at Hard Drive prices lately? :p

Have you looked at Hard Drive prices lately? :p

I just got a 120GB drive to put in my 501 for $50 (shipped).
Strangely 40-250GB or so all run about the same.

When you're limited to certain, discontinued models it can be expensive compared to current production drives.

Then again, my 500GB external drive was $70.
Could have got 1TB for $140-$180.

I am not letting Dish Network having a receiver I paid $550 for, for a measly $10. Forget it.
Electronics depreciate faster than automobiles. In 5 years they are not worth 10% of the initial price.

I have a DVD/CD/LD player that was $1000. DVD laser broke after 3-4 years 9LD/CD still works). It was cheaper to by a stand alone DVD player than to repair it ($300+). Used units run $500-700

More importantly, I've got an 8 yr old computer that was $1000.
I couldn't get $100 for it now. Remember that the 721 is just a computer, running linux with a tuner card and TV output.

I ordered the DVR 522 today. I should have it in 7 - 10 days. If the 721 works without satellite input I will switch it out as soon as the 522 arrives. Otherwise, the 522 will stay boxed until Nov 1st or when I copy all my shows to DVD....

Has anyone got a 722 in exchange for their 721 without any charge or new monthly fees? I don't have an HDTV but hope to get one someday.

Mitch

I got 2-722's for my 2-721's for only $50 shipping with self-install. You can go to post # 81 for the details...

I got 2-722's for my 2-721's for only $50 shipping with self-install. You can go to post # 81 for the details...

But you didn't get fees waived on the 722's - which works for you since you have AEP - but may not work for someone with a lesser package.

One can always upgrade the 522 later to a 622 or 722, but presumably, one would lose the waiver of DVR fees and Lease fees.

Your deal looks pretty good, though - probably they felt a little more obligated to you because you had TWO 721s. :eek:

You do not have to return the remote with the 721.

You want to keep the HDD in the 721? Remember there is a high failure rate with these things.

BUT, they are not charging you for the leased receiver. Owning your own 721 apparently will entitle you to a free "loan" of a 522 and no DVR fee on the 522. View the 522 as a smartcard for your 721...

Help! They ARE charging a lease fee on my swapped 625. I called today and talked to Angel. I explained the situation and told her Bethany (the upgrade CSR) assured me there would be no lease or pvr fees. She gave me ONE YEAR ONLY of lease waiver but would not budge from there.

I emailed CEO at echostar.com but have not received a reply.

Where do I go from here?

Last edited:
Every time that someone puts the CEO address up (without altering it, e.g. " AT " and " DOT "), it enters again in the spammers database, vastly increasing the spam to that address.

As a result, your message may then mistakenly be sent to their SPAM folder, because they have to use overly aggressive spam filtering.

So,

DO

NOT

PUT

CLICKABLE

EMAIL

ADDRESSES

ON

THE

WEB !!

Help! They ARE charging a lease fee on my swapped 625. I called today and talked to Angel. I explained the situation and told her Bethany (the upgrade CSR) assured me there would be no lease or pvr fees. She gave me ONE YEAR ONLY of lease waiver but would not budge from there.

I emailed CEO@echostar.com but have not received a reply.

Where do I go from here?

This is why I want it in writing that I will have my fees waived on the 522/625. I feel like they will eventually try to charge me those fees. DirecTv only charges the DVR fee once while Dish Notwork charges it on each DVR (unless you take AEP in which I do not have). I am tired of being nickeled and dimed to death and pay enough for the television service from them. Over $80 per month for AT250 and locals by the time they add a few additional outlet fees and a few DVR fees in the mix.

Every time that someone puts the CEO address up (without altering it, e.g. " AT " and " DOT "), it enters again in the spammers database, vastly increasing the spam to that address.

Give the guy a break He's new (10 posts).

blackarrow (and now Stargazer) please edit the posts. It will limit the damage done. Depends on when the bots scan the site.

Give the guy a break He's new (10 posts).

blackarrow (and now Stargazer) please edit the posts. It will limit the damage done. Depends on when the bots scan the site.

Done! Thanks STDog, I didn't know the board would convert the address to clickable.

Charles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)