Why is Dish shutting down the 721?

After waiting until yesterday & still not receiving anything, I called back & they told me it was sent to the service addy & gave me a UPS tracking #, which did show them attempting to deliver to the service addy. After asking repeatedly WHY, after I was told THREE times it wasn't a problem, he then tells me they CAN'T send equipment to the mailing addy & that it MUST be sent to the service addy. (I KNOW this isn't true, 'cause I & others have done so otherwise :rolleyes: :mad: )

The idiot CSR did the same thing to me. Said no prob sending to another addy but then the 3 boxes ended up at my "service" address. The poor people that UPS eventually delivered them to (with a similar name to mine but not the correct address, mind you) ended up calling me to let me know that had refused my delivery. I ended up having to call the UPS delivery center to redirect the packages to my true address which took an extra couple days.

That was the last straw from Dish. They'll lose me, a 9 year customer, within the month.

Almost another month has passed, and my 721 is still working just fine. Well, as fine as a 721 ever has, anyway.

Anyone want to take bets on when the actual shutdown is?

Scott

They probably wanted to scare people into thinking that they would be shut down earlier than what they really would be. If it were a receiver that was going to get a new card then it would have already got shut off but since they are not providing new cards for them then it will probably get shut off when they shut the Nagra 2 stream off.

Amazing. I'm happy with my upgrade deal, but I really believed them about shutting it down months ago.

BTW, didn't we have, for a short time, some sort of online ordering system prototype on the 721? I seem to remember being promised the ability to order pizza thru the STB, but when I went to the page, it actually just had a phone number to call to order, or a web site. Some sort of "upcoming feature."

Or was it another model? Or bad memory?

No...

The 721 which I belive never made it out in Bell Express land but had a prototype featured the same thing. that you would be able to plug in via usb port a eithernet card and have data have internet access via the stb

Bell was going to do a thing with the 721 where they bundled the satellite with dsl and you have an internet capable stb. I saw the a picture of the bell express vue 721 which featured a keyboard etc for internet access and ordering. Basically the 721 was going to replace the 7200 .

here is a press release from the 2002 CES show

LITTLETON, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 9, 2002

EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH) and its DISH Network(TM), a leader in pioneering advanced home TV entertainment products, announced today that its new powerhouse of home entertainment, the DishPVR 721 satellite TV system, was awarded top honors as the Best of Show in the Innovations Design and Engineering showcase in the Satellite Systems product category at the 2002 International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Jan. 8-11. The coveted Innovations award recognizes design and engineering excellence as judged by a panel of prominent industry experts advised by the Industrial Designers Society of America. Product evaluations are based on weighted criteria such as value to user, aesthetics, contributions to the quality of life and the product's innovative qualities.

The DishPVR 721 is the first satellite TV receiver offering up to 110 total hours of video storage and personal video recording (PVR) and introduces access ports that can offer high-speed Internet access to be displayed on television. As a multimedia center, the DishPVR 721 features the ability to record two programs at the same time while watching a third pre-recorded program, and picture-in-picture capabilities on any TV. Future upgrades via satellite will enable broadband web browsing on the television and the ability to download music or games using the largest storage capacity available on any satellite TV receiver. The DishPVR 721 is expected to be available to consumers in early 2002.

DISH Network's new Platinum Plus Keyboard, a perfect accessory to the DishPVR 721, also won the Innovations 2002 Design and Engineering Showcase Award at CES. The Platinum Plus Keyboard's one-of-a-kind design features an integrated remote control built into the side of the wireless keyboard that mirrors the functions and key layout found on the DishPVR 721 hand-held remote control. This new design allows consumers intuitive operation of both Internet and TV entertainment functions found on the DishPVR 721. Keyboard functions and remote control operations are integrated into a single, easy-to-use device for operation of the satellite TV program guide, personal video recording, picture in picture, TV, and future Internet features.

As Innovations winners, the DishPVR 721 and the Platinum Plus Keyboard are on display at the CES Innovations Booth No. 3073 in the Hilton Pavilion. As a Best of Show winner, the DishPVR 721 will also be on display in the Grand Lobby of the Las Vegas Convention Center. Demonstrations are available at EchoStar's booth (No. S19310) Jan. 8-11 at the Las Vegas Convention Center.

The DishPVR 721 is a complete home entertainment system that embodies four of the most exciting emerging technologies available today into a single, easy-to-use product. Like all DISH Network satellite TV products, the DishPVR 721 can be upgraded via satellite to provide customers new capabilities as they become available.

1.) DISH Network satellite TV - An enormous selection of hundreds

of all digital satellite TV entertainment, family, news,

sports, foreign-language and local TV programming.

2.) Personal Video Recording (PVR) - With a massive hard drive

capable of up to 110 hours of total video storage and

recording capabilities, customers can easily record their

favorite programs, pause live TV, perform their own 10-second

instant replays, skip ahead 30 seconds through pre-recorded

programs, and more. It's TV how you want it, when you want it.

3.) Broadband Access - With USB ports, the DishPVR 721 opens the

doors to huge entertainment possibilities and future upgrades

via satellite, such as fast, reliable, always-on broadband

access to StarBand satellite Internet or DSL, video or music

on demand, and downloading of popular music onto a CD-burner.

4.) Interactive Television - The combination of receiving TV and

data signals via satellite along with a massive hard disk

drive creates opportunities for future enhancements that may

include games, instant home shopping and a library of music,

movies and other content.

At the release of the product, the DishPVR 721 will offer features such as two satellite TV tuners that let customers record up to two programs at once while viewing a third pre-recorded program, personal video recording, a seven-day on-screen program guide and the ability to read e-mail or surf the Internet through its internal 56K modem. Additional features that will be available on the DishPVR 721 include Caller ID, UHF/IR remote control for use between walls or cabinets, front panel jacks for future use with still or video cameras for capturing images to attach to e-mail, Dolby Digital output, V-chip type technology for parental controls, and additional USB connections for future interface with peripheral devices like printers, cameras, or CD writers EchoStar will also offer future upgrades via satellite to enable access to high-speed Internet service and a program search feature.

We were also promised NBR on the 721 during one of the Charlie Chats. Might as well have thrown in pizza ordering, as long as we're talking about stuff we'll never see.

Scott

I've been missing my 7100's, especially the guide (which shows "INFO" without pressing a button) and the unlimited buffer. NBR is the only improvement with the 508's DISH replaced them with. Oh well, I'll probably ditch em' for HD receivers this year anyway.

I've been missing my 7100's, especially the guide (which shows "INFO" without pressing a button) and the unlimited buffer. NBR is the only improvement with the 508's DISH replaced them with. Oh well, I'll probably ditch em' for HD receivers this year anyway.

Umm the 7100/7200 had NBR under Microsoft Patents . 721/921 did not have NBR

My 721 was deactivated last night - anyone else's 721???

Well I guess it was bound to happen - I turned on the 721 & all my prog was redd'd out (supers) & the locals & PI's had disappeared altogether. But any national channels that were in the clear were still working, & I could still play back pre-recorded shows. The other receivers are still working fine, so it appears they specifically shut my 721 down. Even though I did get a 522 to replace it & had activated it a couple month's ago, I had left the 721 activated, because I've been busy & just figured I continue to use it until they decided to cut it off.

They might be shutting off certain groups of channels on the old encryption and they will do this little by little until they are all off. Its time for you to call in and upgrade it to the 522 for free and they will waive the phone line requirement and DVR fee on the receiver.

Its time for you to call in and upgrade it to the 522 for free and they will waive the phone line requirement and DVR fee on the receiver.

You DID read the whole post, no... :confused: :confused:

Even though I did get a 522 to replace it & had activated it a couple month's ago, I had left the 721 activated, because I've been busy & just figured I continue to use it until they decided to cut it off.

My 721 was DEACTIVATED sometime after midnight on Thu, Jan 22nd.

I already have the replacement box they offered, just haven't been willing to undertake disassembly/reassembly of my system yet. I guess I shouldn't complain too much--they did warn me that this was going to happen eventually.

I'm sad to lose my 721. Contrary to the oft-reported negative experiences with the 721, my receiver has worked faithfully (with an occasional hiccup) for almost 6 years. :)

I also thought to check my account online, to make SURE they were still NOT billing the monthly charge for it. They DID remove it entirely from my account on 1/27, as well as crediting the prorated monthly charges I had already paid on it.

This thread is over 300 posts long. I am bound to miss something. I did not realize that they were allowing the 721's to remain active. I thought they required them to be shut off when you got your 522.

What do you think of the 522 compared to the 721?

doh.

I should've searched the inter-t00bz before calling the 800 number. :/ This thread would've been handy if I had seen it prior.

I got 'the postcard' the other day, warning my old, tried-and-true 7200 would be shut down 'soon' if I didn't call and upgrade. I called.

I got the 'free' upgrade (well, still in the mail to me), and it'll supposedly be a 508. Argh. My brother has one of those, it is pretty crummy... flakes out a lot. My old 7200 has been rock solid (I know that's not everyone's experience, but mine was great!). I'm worried now. This 508 is nearly as old as my 7200, and has the ugly interface, and to my eye, the picture quality is not as good.

The guy said 'your bill will not change, but you will not own the 'new' receiver'. So, apparently, the deal is that if I quit or upgrade to something newer, I have to send back the 'new' one. Fine, no skin of my nose.

Sheesh, I imagine I'll be upgrading to one of the new hot-dog receivers in the near future. What a PITA.

For the record though, it's Feb 9, 2009, and my 7200 works perfectly still. All the channels are still there, and it still records things fine. I'm in Houston, Tx.

I'm also upset that I'll surely lose recording capacity in this new one. My 7200 has a 80G drive in it that I put in. I don't think the 5xx's have as much, but I may be wrong (hoping I am). My brother's machine doesn't seem to have much capacity, so that's what I'm going by.

Oh well, wish I'd have read this thread and 'complained' a little more on the call, maybe I'd have gotten a newer 'free' receiver in the process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)