Why is it so hard to refer to a bird by its location?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Oh, for god sakes...

How can you claim someone is looking down at you... When you are telling them they are doing it wrong?

Silly FNGs...

By the way, I am an FNG too, only having done this FTA thing seriously for two years...

I have participated on a lot of internet forums. SatelliteGuys is by far one of the best and most professional. For the most part the people here are very obliging. But every once in a while some buttons are pushed that cause people to act in strange ways. This is one of those threads. I suppose its safe to say that we can agree to disagree on this subject. I'll continue to type both the name and location. Others will use the method of choice that suits them the best. No one is asking anyone to conform to any rule. And its clear that there are differing opinions on the appropriate nomenclature.

...Your poll showed a great leaning toward noting a birds location.

Where did that go?

What are you talking about?

Where could that go?

I have participated on a lot of internet forums. SatelliteGuys is by far one of the best and most professional. For the most part the people here are very obliging. ...

Agreed.

... No one is asking anyone to conform to any rule. ...

Kind of looks that way to me...

I try to include the position with the sat name etc..., but depending on who I'm talking to, I may do one or the other...
nature of the beast I guess.
Dealing with a newcomer, I try to be as informative as possible without going TMI... but we are talking about trying to aim at a couple dozen different Hyundais floating 22,000 miles in space...
Aimed C-Band for years with no problems... wasn't 'til friggin' Ku came stumbling in that I started having headaches... ;)
The bigger the dish the harder it is to get a signal? What kind of sense does that make? Yeesh...

One way to keep everybody in the dark is to refer to satellite names. They're changing every time a new one goes up. If you use the location instead, it would be lots easier for all of us!

Duh!

I said I was done and was attempting to hijack my own thread into another topic.

but for ku folks number is all they need. for some c-band stuff knowing which bird it is at a location helps them figure out the transponder layout. As almost every satellite is different.

but calling a location by the name of a bird that has already blown up or burned in the atmosphere is a major pain in the...:rant:

Hey, freezy

I did a search and found out more about your fiberglass dishes versus solid metal onesor metal mesh dishes.

The important factor is how far apart the mesh is. It jogged my memory, as I remember reading several years ago that the mesh has to be closer than a pencil width to get ku. Otherwise, all you have is an old c-band dish.

A possible option is to shine a strong light through the fiberglass to see the mesh underneath. The other option is to strap a combo lnb to the dish and try it on ku.
If it works, you've got a ku compatible fiberglass dish.

I'm using a perfect 10 dish made in 1993. At the time it was installed, it had a combo c/ku band corotor on it so I knew it was ku capable. If you use an early fiberglass dish, you just taking a chance without experimenting first or finding out more from the manufacturer's specs.

I'm presently looking at two early Channel Master dishes. They are the huge earlier models. They may even be larger than 12 feet across. I like them because of the weight and size, but I know it will take a lot of concrete to get them in the ground.

If you have the option, go for a mesh dish (or spun aluminum even better)
'glas is just too heavy to deal with. If it's old there's a good chance it will be sagging and defaced, not to mention brittle... I don't know of any pros (maybe there are some - I haven't came up with any), but I do know the cons...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)