Why is the 622 retarded?

Psycho Acostics & human hearing

Does anyone beside me and a few other old farts know why the FletcherMunson effect caused HiFi equipment to have Loudness controls instead of Volume controls.

They still have volume controls it still works the same only difference is when the "loudness contour" is switched on below a certain level the bass & terrible will be boosted. This is to compensate for the fact the the human ear is less sensitive to those freqs below about 80 db. BTW it is the Fletcher Munson curve not effect. The curve is set to do the compensation I just referred to. :eureka

This is to compensate for the fact the the human ear is less sensitive to those freqs below about 80 db.
That's a pretty big simplification. Back in the day, the "effect" was referred to in the technical and scientific press as the Fletcher Munson effect as a result of a paper published in 1933 in The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America.

Check it out:
"Loudness, Its Definition, Measure and Calculation" by H. Fletcher and W. A. Munson.

I'd loan you my copy but I can't find it.:rolleyes:

BTW it is the Fletcher Munson curve not effect. The curve is set to do the compensation I just referred to. :eureka
The most proper term is "loudness compensation contours", if you want to get picky.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)