Why is the 622 retarded?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
These DVR's were designed with the thinking being that users would DVR timer any shows they wanted to watch. The logic being that live TV was something like a filler. I do know people who actually watch one of their favorite programs at home live. They watch the clock and scream, "Oh, I better turn the channel to my favorite show now so I don't miss it." And they have missed a few minutes of the start of that show in the past. I had to explain that he had to change the way thinks of using a DVR--as only a device to record for when he knows in advance that he won't be home. It's a very simple rule: DVR timer ALL the shows that you want to watch, even if you are at home and think you are gonna remember to turn the channel, and you won't miss the show and you don't have to watch the clock. In other words, use the DVR as it was designed and not in a way that defeats it purpose and best functionality. If I want to see a show that follows the one I am recording, I DVR TIMER that show because Murphy's law will occur and I'll be disturbed and have to delay and, guess what? Uh, dang, I missed the start of that show I wanted to see.

Put simply, DVR EVERYTHING you care to watch and you won't have problems like the ones described. Quite frankly, if one is using the DVR properly, you'll be watch very little live TV, and if you are watching something live that you are really into, then immediately hit the RECORD button and all will run smoothly with no frustration loss or early termination of what you are watching. You are guaranteed to see all of the remaining program, no guess work. The earlier remark about the user manual is right although Dish should have a seperate HOW TO channel Dish 102 for intermediate users. Change your mentality and DVR with a DVR. That will bring you the most pleasurable experience.

My only real complaints are:

1. If you've been watching a program and decided that you want to record it so you can watch it again, you must rewind before recording in order to get the whole thing.

2. When fast forwarding through commercials, it doesn't jump back a few seconds when you hit play. In fact, it sometimes actually jumps ahead a few seconds. This is very frustrating when ffwding through a sporting event and you end up seeing the play before you're ready.

Both of these were features that my previous Scientific Atlanta DVR though Brighthouse were capable of.

You don't need to rewind to record a program from the start, just hit "record" and select options. This only works if you have been watching the program from the start and have not tuned to another program then back to the one you want to record.
Dan

You don't need to rewind to record a program from the start, just hit "record" and select options. This only works if you have been watching the program from the start and have not tuned to another program then back to the one you want to record.
Dan

It might work like that for you but I ALWAYS have to rewind first.

My only real complaints are:

2. When fast forwarding through commercials, it doesn't jump back a few seconds when you hit play. In fact, it sometimes actually jumps ahead a few seconds. This is very frustrating when ffwding through a sporting event and you end up seeing the play before you're ready.

DON"T fast forward, use the 30 second skip button. It's much easier.

1. If you've been watching a program and decided that you want to record it so you can watch it again, you must rewind before recording in order to get the whole thing.
If you hit the record button while watching a program (that you have watched from the beginning), it should give you the option to "Record Entire Event". You have to select that option to record from the beginning (without rewinding).

If you hit the record button while watching a program (that you have watched from the beginning), it should give you the option to "Record Entire Event". You have to select that option to record from the beginning (without rewinding).
I wish that were so, but it's not. Just the remainder.

I wish that were so, but it's not. Just the remainder.

Not true!! If u have been watching a program from the start and then decide to record it , just push the record button and then select option and record event from the start should be there, it is on mine!! ;)

Not true!! If u have been watching a program from the start and then decide to record it , just push the record button and then select option and record event from the start should be there, it is on mine!! ;)
Just tried on my 622, option is there but grayed out...not accessible. And yes show was on from the beginning.

Just tried on my 622, option is there but grayed out...not accessible. And yes show was on from the beginning.
But, not from the beginning as decided by the EPG. That can sometimes happen while the other show is still rolling credits...

I am frustrated at times when I DVR programs that run longer than their scheduled time and then I miss the end of the program. It seems as though there should be data that the DVR can read which basically says the program is still going and will continue recording past the normally scheduled stop time.

These DVR's were designed with the thinking being that users would DVR timer any shows they wanted to watch. The logic being that live TV was something like a filler. I do know people who actually watch one of their favorite programs at home live. They watch the clock and scream, "Oh, I better turn the channel to my favorite show now so I don't miss it." And they have missed a few minutes of the start of that show in the past. I had to explain that he had to change the way thinks of using a DVR--as only a device to record for when he knows in advance that he won't be home. It's a very simple rule: DVR timer ALL the shows that you want to watch, even if you are at home and think you are gonna remember to turn the channel, and you won't miss the show and you don't have to watch the clock. In other words, use the DVR as it was designed and not in a way that defeats it purpose and best functionality. If I want to see a show that follows the one I am recording, I DVR TIMER that show because Murphy's law will occur and I'll be disturbed and have to delay and, guess what? Uh, dang, I missed the start of that show I wanted to see.

Put simply, DVR EVERYTHING you care to watch and you won't have problems like the ones described. Quite frankly, if one is using the DVR properly, you'll be watch very little live TV, and if you are watching something live that you are really into, then immediately hit the RECORD button and all will run smoothly with no frustration loss or early termination of what you are watching. You are guaranteed to see all of the remaining program, no guess work. The earlier remark about the user manual is right although Dish should have a seperate HOW TO channel Dish 102 for intermediate users. Change your mentality and DVR with a DVR. That will bring you the most pleasurable experience.

This just screams fanboyism for me, this is something that was not an issue with my old tivo. If there is an issue up for debate with a DVR, maybe it should be looked at as the manufacture's fault, rather than the consumer that knows such a feature can be had.

This just screams fanboyism for me, this is something that was not an issue with my old tivo.
For your third post? Really? Fanboy?

At least you told us what most of the problem is - you owned a Tivo. You are engrained in one dvr philosophy and assumed all dvrs would should / comply to that standard.

Not gonna happen, especially with patent fascists like Tivo around that buy up old patents, use them in to create more complex new patents incorporating older simple patents in their technology and then sue everyone else when their business falters.

For your third post? Really? Fanboy?

At least you told us what most of the problem is - you owned a Tivo. You are engrained in one dvr philosophy and assumed all dvrs would should / comply to that standard.

Not gonna happen, especially with patent fascists like Tivo around that buy up old patents, use them in to create more complex new patents incorporating older simple patents in their technology and then sue everyone else when their business falters.

So we can establish that there is a possible patent problem and not the way I would like to see how an item works or should work. Why do some people jump on the defense that there is no problem with the 622 when I point out a useful feature that should be in the unit and would make people happy? I I've had a 622 for a year now which is longer than I've had a Tivo. I like my 622 more than I did my Tivo. There were plenty of things I didn't like about Tivo. I never claimed to be a fanboy of them, I'm only pointing out a feature that it had as a reference. Seems like many here only have experience with a dish dvr. I've had experience with a few and it is nice to be able to understand the pros and cons of each and come up with an ultimate DVR, the 622 is close, just not there yet.

I personally do exactly as you suggest but the OP has pointed out a shortcoming.

Further:

A. It assumes one has a personal responsibility to continually study the EP and that the EP is never wrong.

B. It implies that, in this situation, if one sees a promo at the end of the show that makes him want to watch the following show ("stay tuned for a story about a man in our town how has won the lottery and doesn't know it" or when he see a preview for a program that had sounded like a dud from the EP) he hasn't a right to think the DVR would do as it usually does when you pause a program not being recorded and just continue buffering until the user changes the channel or turns off the unit.

Think about it: When TV1 or 2 is on, the DVR is *always* buffering so why then did the software designers insert a line of code to stop this regular procedure in this one particular set of circumstances. It has to be a specific "if - then" statement:

"If playback = true when event = end, clear buffer".

Code doesn't have to be written to add "a feature". A bit of code has created a bug and should be removed. This is just something that wasn't caught in beta testing.

And to those who believe one must read the fine manual, cover to cover before daring to post here: bit me.

Think about it: When TV1 or 2 is on, the DVR is *always* buffering so why then did the software designers insert a line of code to stop this regular procedure in this one particular set of circumstances. It has to be a specific "if - then" statement:

"If playback = true when event = end, clear buffer".

Code doesn't have to be written to add "a feature". A bit of code has created a bug and should be removed. This is just something that wasn't caught in beta testing.

And to those who believe one must read the fine manual, cover to cover before daring to post here: bit me.

You are making a lot of assumptions based on how you believe things ought to work and are clearly understating the complexity of the functions we take for granted in this device. Top that off with the fact that today, a simple line of code could "violate" a so called patent.

Please show us an example of uncompiled code that would address the proper OS functions through the given chipsets to enable what you describe as an "obvious" error.

As an aside, anyone who has not read the entire manual to a complex piece of equipment and consulted the technical notes that also accompany most complex equipment will ultimately fail to achieve a satisfactory understanding and realistic use of said equipment. Bite you? It certainly will.

Welcome to modern society. You would like it to be just like Star Trek but it's more like Blade Runner.

You are making a lot of assumptions based on how you believe things ought to work and are clearly understating the complexity of the functions we take for granted in this device.
I don't think so.

Top that off with the fact that today, a simple line of code could "violate" a so called patent.
Touche. You may have something there.

Please show us an example of uncompiled code that would address the proper OS functions through the given chipsets to enable what you describe as an "obvious" error.
A long long time ago, for a time, I made a living writing code a little bit in fortran but mostly cobol then a little C and finally VB but no matter the programming language conditional or "if then do" statements are at the heart of all programmable devices.

As an aside, anyone who has not read the entire manual to a complex piece of equipment and consulted the technical notes that also accompany most complex equipment will ultimately fail to achieve a satisfactory understanding and realistic use of said equipment.
I dunno. I've seen lots of folks get along for years on Apple computers just turning them on.

To tell the truth, I used to think that way but I think we've progressed beyond that.

Back in the day technology belonged to the technical elite. Desirable or not, now it belongs to the masses. And that's what will eventually kill Windows computers. The Apple OS *just works*. BTW I will probably cling to Windows until they quit supporting it.

How many people know the difference between GSM, CDMA and TDMA or even what the letters stand for? (Code Divison Multiple Access belongs to my hometown company Qualcom and is why I'm on line via an EVDO(Rev-A) pcmcia card) Does anyone beside me and a few other old farts know why the FletcherMunson effect caused HiFi equipment to have Loudness controls instead of Volume controls.

With very few exceptions I've spent my working life being the interface between technology and the masses.

But you're right about Blade Runner and remember "No HAL 2000 has ever made a mistake".

BTW, they have cars that even shift gears automatically now. (Sorry. That was uncalled for.)

DON"T fast forward, use the 30 second skip button. It's much easier.

I do use the skip button, but this doesn't always accomplish what I want. An example is ffwding through a football game or golf. I might be trying to get caught up to live, so I'll fast forward through everything but the actual play/shot. But when I see the play forming (or Tiger getting ready to hit a shot ;)) and I hit play, it might skip ahead a few seconds so I miss the action altogether. I know it might seem petty, but it's frustrating, and something that seems within reason to be a feature of the DVR.

And as far as the issue of recording the program in it's entirety, why not just add a dialog box that pops up when you hit record that asks if you want to record the remainder, or the entire program since you began watching, regardless of whether or not you started viewing from the beginning. Again, within reason of being a feature.

...And as far as the issue of recording the program in it's entirety, why not just add a dialog box that pops up when you hit record that asks if you want to record the remainder, or the entire program since you began watching, regardless of whether or not you started viewing from the beginning. Again, within reason of being a feature.

Need a job? Sounds like you know what you want and think we need...

EchoStar (DISH Network)

If I am understanding the complaint correctly, I have run into situations like the OP. What I usually do so I don't lose the rest of the "delayed" program that I am watching is hit "record" and record the remainder of that event. Then when the DVR switches channels, I can just watch the rest of the program from my recorded programming.

It may seem inelegant, but it has worked for me. I hope it helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts