Why is the 922 so screwed up?

AIsmail

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Stewartsville, NJ
I'm curious to know if anyone knows why the 922 has so many issues? The 722 is a fully capable DVR and is pretty stable. Why not use the same exact programming in the 922 and build upon that. On the 922, I can't set manual timers, there are issues with the EHD along with other timer issues. This problems are non-existent on the 722. Why do they appear on the 922? Any ideas?

Because DISH released the 922 after two years of building it up as the best cutting edge dvr , before it was actually ready. Now we are still waiting for basic features like external hard drive archiving support . As for the manual timers and dish pass you have to use remote access to set them online.

It's a tad more complicated piece of hardware, too. Would be great if it did all expected of it. Sadly, it now looks like it may become a good receiver someday, but it will be a future piece of hardware that will actually deliver all that was expected of the ViP922.

While both receivers share some hardware in common, the software has been a radical re-design. It's not as simple as taking code from the older box and inserting it into the newer box. It all has to be re-written from scratch. Which is why some features like EHD Archiving have been taking longer to get out.

I don't see how difficult it should be to do archiving. After all you can transfer shows FROM the external hard drive - TO the internal receiver hard drive , so why not tranfer from the receiver - TO the external hard drive?

I don't see how difficult it should be to do archiving. After all you can transfer shows FROM the external hard drive - TO the internal receiver hard drive , so why not tranfer from the receiver - TO the external hard drive?
Plus you can have multiple (I've done 4) EHDs connected and there is a drop down menu to select recordings from My 922, Device1, Device 2, Device 3 and Device 4. If it can do that you would think archiving would be simple. But then I'm just an old worn out pipeline operations dude.:p

I think the TiVo suit had more to do with the 922 being messed up than anything else. The DVR software does not act the same as the 622/722. I suspect after losing the appeal (well at least the first round) with TiVo they did yet another DVR software design to try to protect the 922 from any loss on the TiVo case.

If you notice trick play messes up a lot (this was a big component of the TiVo suit).

So, you throw in new sling software and new DVR software and you have a lot of new code to debug. They also have to be careful not to use techniques in fixing the DVR code that could be covered by the TiVo suit. This leaves things like external HD on the back burner.

Plus you can have multiple (I've done 4) EHDs connected and there is a drop down menu to select recordings from My 922, Device1, Device 2, Device 3 and Device 4. If it can do that you would think archiving would be simple. But then I'm just an old worn out pipeline operations dude.:p

It's a lot easier to read from a disk then it is to write to a disk. You need to have a consistent stream of data with no interruptions otherwise the whole program maybe even the whole drive get's corrupted. Frankly, they can take their time getting full EHD support working as I don't want to loose anymore programming then I have already.

It seems I'm about the only one that hasn't had any major issues with my 922, and I've had to have it installed twice because I just moved. Knock on wood, but other than not yet being able to archive to the EHD and the Sling issues I'm happy with the 922. Never missed a recording, never had any timer issues, reset problems, etc. Again, KNOCK ON WOOD!!

Yes, it seems the 922 is the old 721, the much anticipated first dual tuner DVR, only to have the 721 released late, have continuing odd behavior and issues, promised advanced features (even demo'd on Tech Forums) that were NEVER released: keyboard, internet access just to name two. Then not too long after, the 522 was introduced and, after a short spell, it and the subsequent 625 became all and MORE that the 721 was supposed to be (no keyboard or internet access, but more or better features than the 721) and much more stable and it all worked very snappy and fast, not the 721 slog fest.

I was really excited about the 922 and seriously planned on getting one, but at this rate, I am on the verge of giving up on ever getting a 922 and may wait for the next gen product that will have the same and more (writing to external HDD, Sling working as it was supposed to) features and do it all well. Now, if Charlie will please tell me when Echostar plans to release the (my made up model number) 924? I guess I'll get the DVDDO this fall instead. I need it more.

DishSubLA said:
Yes, it seems the 922 is the old 721, the much anticipated first dual tuner DVR, only to have the 721 released late, have continuing odd behavior and issues, promised advanced features (even demo'd on Tech Forums) that were NEVER released: keyboard, internet access just to name two. Then not too long after, the 522 was introduced and, after a short spell, it and the subsequent 625 became all and MORE that the 721 was supposed to be (no keyboard or internet access, but more or better features than the 721) and much more stable and it all worked very snappy and fast, not the 721 slog fest.

I was really excited about the 922 and seriously planned on getting one, but at this rate, I am on the verge of giving up on ever getting a 922 and may wait for the next gen product that will have the same and more (writing to external HDD, Sling working as it was supposed to) features and do it all well. Now, if Charlie will please tell me when Echostar plans to release the (my made up model number) 924? I guess I'll get the DVDDO this fall instead. I need it more.

I had the 721. In the end, it was a stable box. I hated when it died and I couldn't get another one because of the lawsuit. They gave me a 522 for it that I still have because I owned the 721. The 522 was a great receiver. It's in my closet, as they said I owned it, since they couldn't replace my 721.

I loved the 721 receivers. I had two of them and they had a couple of features that none of the newer DVRs have even with all the stuff that was promised but not delivered. They did require a reboot now and then and those always took forever but overall they were really good to me.

I also like the 922 even with its current shortcomings. I just hope that it will be as stable as the 622 it replaced before too long and I really need the EHD archive feature to work!!!

I loved the 721. I had, IIRC, 6 of them float thru my house. I could live with the eternal reboot cycles, but it's hard to argue with failed power supplies and dead HDDs.

I'm very happy with my two ViP722 units. Not much pressure to get a ViP922, and a lot of reasons not to.

I decided to hold off on the 922 until the media extender became available. HD served to two TVs from one box would be ideal in my current setup. With all the issues that people have had, I'll be very cautious about upgraded even once the extender hits the market.

I was really excited about the 922 and seriously planned on getting one, but at this rate, I am on the verge of giving up on ever getting a 922 and may wait for the next gen product that will have the same and more (writing to external HDD, Sling working as it was supposed to) features and do it all well. Now, if Charlie will please tell me when Echostar plans to release the (my made up model number) 924?
Now you've done it! You've set me off on a wild, speculative, "wouldn't it be nice if" exercise.

Wouldn't it be nice if Dish got their act together with the new Slingcatcher (aka the Sling Extender) and put out a line of headless Dish receivers? They could be named the 944 or even 966 with 4 or 6 satellite tuners and 4 or 6 sling outputs. With 2 or 3 OTA modules, would anybody need anything more?

Now you've done it! You've set me off on a wild, speculative, "wouldn't it be nice if" exercise.

Wouldn't it be nice if Dish got their act together with the new Slingcatcher (aka the Sling Extender) and put out a line of headless Dish receivers? They could be named the 944 or even 966 with 4 or 6 satellite tuners and 4 or 6 sling outputs. With 2 or 3 OTA modules, would anybody need anything more?

I remember one time chatting with advanced tech support when I had upgraded the hard drive in my Dishplayer and they were authorizing my DVR forever for free (a long time ago, I know). He had to do a number of things and we had to wait a long time for my receiver to download software through the modem. I had been drinking and he was very friendly. He was telling me about a receiver they had that was module based and you would eventually just be able to put it in a closet and have as many modules (tuners) as you wanted and then modulate them out to the TV's. It would use RF remotes and their would be no STB at the TV. So, I do think that made it to prototype before the content providers shut them down.

I had the 721. In the end, it was a stable box. I hated when it died and I couldn't get another one because of the lawsuit. They gave me a 522 for it that I still have because I owned the 721. The 522 was a great receiver. It's in my closet, as they said I owned it, since they couldn't replace my 721.

True, but it did take years for the 721 to settle down (various software downloads later). Also, as much as I liked the 721 UI (better than the current ones), it lacked name based recording, and the is a really big, important feature that made it easy for me to cut the 721 and love the 522, and 625, along with its faster operation. But I do agree that the 721 did have some good things about it. I did like the games that were pre-loaded on it and for no extra charge.

This 922 has been nothing but a headache, now mine just died. Whatever happened to the 2nd day air to get a replacement to ya? There telling me 3 to 5 business days.......grrrrr.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts