Why isnt ABC available in HD??

dc9mm

Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Buffalo NY
Hi all. Iam new here and new to Dish Network TV. Its the first time for having any dish tv. Been a cable guy for years.
Iam in the Buffalo NY area. ABC isnt available in HD. Any idea why? I can get ABC in HD via an antenna at 720p and notice all the other HD channells like nbc,cbs,fox all come in at 1080 over antenna. So is it because dish network cant do 720p? Or some other reason. Just kinda curious.
Does ABC on Direct TV come in at HD?

According to the dish website, they offer nbc, fox, cbs,and cw in hd for buffalo. They must be having a transmission dispute with the Buffalo abc station.

Hi all. Iam new here and new to Dish Network TV. Its the first time for having any dish tv. Been a cable guy for years.
Iam in the Buffalo NY area. ABC isnt available in HD. Any idea why? I can get ABC in HD via an antenna at 720p and notice all the other HD channells like nbc,cbs,fox all come in at 1080 over antenna. So is it because dish network cant do 720p? Or some other reason. Just kinda curious.
Does ABC on Direct TV come in at HD?

I got worse news for you possibly too. If you are a sabres fan or yankees fan you are in trouble. Sabres home games are NOT in HD on Dish and the only yankees you will see is when they are on ESPN, FOX or when they Cleveland or the Mets.

If you receive it in OTA, then why is it frustating? I prefer OTA over Dish HD. I only get Dish HD for the guide.

If you receive it in OTA, then why is it frustating? I prefer OTA over Dish HD. I only get Dish HD for the guide.

If you read my reply you would see that I never said that I have an OTA solution. Since I don't, it is frustrating to not be able to watch things on ABC in HD WITHOUT the antenna.

Hence the frustration.

Does that clear up any confusion?

If that works for you, great!

Last edited:
very odd that Granite is having a dispute when they carry other stations in HD on Dish like KBJR NBC Duluth, MN (and KDLH CBS which they "own")

If you read my reply you would see that I never said that I have an OTA solution. Since I don't, it is frustrating to not be able to watch things on ABC in HD WITHOUT the antenna.

Hence the frustration.

Does that clear up any confusion?

If that works for you, great!
Are you not within range of an ABD HD OTA channel?

For $8 and stuff around your house you can have one too!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw]YouTube - Coat Hanger HDTV Antenna![/ame]

How good of an antenna is it? Do you use one?

I am looking for an indoor antenna, I'm only 40 miles away from the most distant station that I care to pull in.

I'll have to check that link out. Thanks!

I am looking for an indoor antenna, I'm only 40 miles away from the most distant station that I care to pull in.

For an indoor HD antenna i reccomend a Winegard SS 3000, has good reviews here hdtvantennalabs
I have it and it works pretty good for me BUT of course the weakest channel i get is ABC of course. On windy days it sometimes lose it for a second or two a few times during a show. High winds seem to effect reception.

So nobody knows why ABC only comes in SD and not HD. I would think if its a disput of some sort i wouldnt get ABC at all. I get ABC just in SD only. I was thinking its a technical reason.

For an indoor HD antenna i reccomend a Winegard SS 3000, has good reviews here hdtvantennalabs
I have it and it works pretty good for me BUT of course the weakest channel i get is ABC of course. On windy days it sometimes lose it for a second or two a few times during a show. High winds seem to effect reception.

So nobody knows why ABC only comes in SD and not HD. I would think if its a disput of some sort i wouldnt get ABC at all. I get ABC just in SD only. I was thinking its a technical reason.

For the same reason you don't get the Sabres games in HD either, while Directv and TWC has them.

I made 2 of them, one for me and one for my folks. They both pull in the all the locals available. It's as good as you make it - and it works fine. It's better than spending $50 on something that doesn't work as well. I bought an HDTV antenna for $30 at a local store and it worked much worse than the one I built myself.

Try it, it's a good little project. Just get a good quality transformer for the coax connection.

DVR 722 External Drive Question

Multiple 6.3 Remotes Controlling TV1?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts