Why isnt hopper a 6 tuner dvr??

Then how did my former cable company come out with a 6 tuner solution? You can record 6 at a time all in HD?? The only draw back is you can't pause live tv in one room and pick up in another room. Will the hopper let you pause and play in another room.

For more than three tuners, the box would need two coax feeds and separators would not work since the coax frequency range is maxed out.
A 6-channel central box would also need additional DVR bandwidth in order to capture the additional channels.
Want more satellite tuners, just switch any Joey for a Hopper and now you have six sat tuners.
Seems reasonable.
The only function missing is PIP at the Joeys and Dish could enable that as a user option understanding that it would use two MoCA streams from a single or even different Hoppers. Also, you have hardwired Ethernet available at all TV locations using another HIC or third party MoCA/Ethernet bridge.
I doubt Joey would to be able to support PIP. Remember it includes the MPEG decoder(s). It is unlikely Joey has a second decoder so would not support PIP.

Using the same logic as above for tuners: if you NEED PIP get another Hopper.

Then how did my former cable company come out with a 6 tuner solution? You can record 6 at a time all in HD?? The only draw back is you can't pause live tv in one room and pick up in another room. Will the hopper let you pause and play in another room.

Let's keep in mind that each Hopper carries with it a 2TB drive. So adding the second hopper adds internal capacity as well.

2TB drives aren't cheap at the moment either ;)

If it requires more than one cable to get to a Hopper that would support six tuners then perhaps they could have added slots to the Joey's to add tuners in them or another device that connects into the coax system to put the tuners in. It would save money by not needing another hard drive.

dare2be said:
Why would I complain about not having 9 when I can get 2 Hoppers for a total of 12 tuners? :D

/you know this post will generate a rumor about a 12-tuner hopper now....

LOL. That reminds me of the Charlie Chat when Charlie blurted they might need to make a new receiver, a "923". That off-the-cuff remark really got the rumor mill going.

And you can attach your current ehd (except one that is connected to a 211) for even more storage.

You can use your EHD from the 211 but the recordings that are on there just won't transfer. The HDD would be reformatted as soon as you connect it to the Hopper.

If it requires more than one cable to get to a Hopper that would support six tuners then perhaps they could have added slots to the Joey's to add tuners in them or another device that connects into the coax system to put the tuners in. It would save money by not needing another hard drive.

You run into issues no matter what direction you take this. There's no perfect solution.

If y ou increase by adding another tuner module, that adds to the cost of both the hopper chassis and the modules. If you allow the Joeys expandibility by the addition of a tuner module you complicate their software stack and the hardware involved which makes them more expensive.

We get back to the fact that we (as in the people here at Satellite Guys) are not typical. We can't lose sight of the fact that the vast majority of the potential installed base will work just fine with 1 hopper and 2-3 Joeys. Economy of scale. If they can satisfy 80-90% of the install base simply and easily that will be very successful for Dish.

And you can attach your current ehd (except one that is connected to a 211) for even more storage.

Yes you can, but can you record directly to the EHD? If not, you are managing recordings again. Not that it's the end of the world, but it is a consideration.

There's no perfect solution, and if there were it would probably be prohibitively expensive.

If I remember right John, they already have many drives in stock from before the weather event...

In this era of supply chain management and just in time shipping that would surprise me. That's a lot of money sitting on a shelf not generating revenue, not counting the costs of the warehouse to store them.

I'm not saying you are wrong.

hopefully they locked in pricing before the floods.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

For an extra $7.00 monthly you can have a 6 tuner setup with two Hoppers. Or wait, for the same $7.00 monthly you can have a Hopper and Joey but be limited to 3 tuners. Doesn't make any since to me.

For an extra $7.00 monthly you can have a 6 tuner setup with two Hoppers. Or wait, for the same $7.00 monthly you can have a Hopper and Joey but be limited to 3 tuners. Doesn't make any since to me.
You have some reading to catch up on.

You have some reading to catch up on.

WHY, that's is exactly the way it is. Two Hoppers is 6 tuners for the same monthly fee as a Hopper/Joey combo with only three tuners.

LOL. That reminds me of the Charlie Chat when Charlie blurted they might need to make a new receiver, a "923".

Wasn't that in reference to a better 3D receiver which apparently never saw the light of day? (I honestly don't remember.)

My favorite Charlie Chat slip: "Send in your paychecks!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)