Why MPEG4??

bdemz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
If E* does not plan to offer HD LIL (which I think is a total waste of sat space) why the move to MPEG4? I know it offers better compression but if you don't need to stuff sats with HD LIL's why?

I think E* has plenty of sat. space to add the very few HD channels that pop up each year.

I would be very happy and stick with dish if they would add what Charlie said in his chat. (ESPN2HD, UNIVERSALHD and another movie channel (StarzHD))

bdemz said:
If E* does not plan to offer HD LIL (which I think is a total waste of sat space) why the move to MPEG4? I know it offers better compression but if you don't need to stuff sats with HD LIL's why?
Better compression at the same relative picture quality. With better compression, then can fit significantly more channels, both HD and SD, into a given transponder. More channels per transponder means more capacity on that satellite. Capacity is always an issue. Dish has gotten in some hot water recently with having locals requiring multiple dishes to get all the channels. With MPEG4, they could cram them all onto one satellite while theoretically maintaining the same PQ.

But the big thing will be HD locals. Dish might not have any immediate plans publically anounced for HD LIL, but they do in the strategy room. I'll guarantee it.

You may not see the point or think it's a waste of space, but many people who live just outside the reach of OTA HD signals, or in valleys, or behind hills, or in a DMA where the stations feel low-powered HD signals are OK, etc... would disagree with you.

Also consider the fact that some people may not want to worry about installing a OTA antenna on their roof and would rather just pay the $5 extra to get their HD signal through Dish.

bdemz said:

I think E* has plenty of sat. space to add the very few HD channels that pop up each year.

I would be very happy and stick with dish if they would add what Charlie said in his chat. (ESPN2HD, UNIVERSALHD and another movie channel (StarzHD))

My guess is in the next few years you will see more and more channels begin to explore and offer HD content. As people get exposed to HD the tide of people wanting to get the most out of their big wide screen TVs will grow. You get sick of watching stretched and squashed people and blocky images. Just liek the move from BW to color I think it is slow at first but will grow rapidly in a few years. They need the extra room MPEG 4 gives them to add more channels and more in HD. Since it takes sucha long time to swap everything out they want to get started now otherwise they run the risk of being caught with their pants down. Hopefully a VOOM purchase will help them.

If they would spend as much money trying to implement a new strategy to get the HD locals to get the consumers as they are to launch the new satellites and switch out receivers to MPEG-4 then I would think that they would be able to come up with something better and maybe even cheaper which would allow the consumers to keep their existing hardware. Perhaps they need something to go to the next level beyond the current spotbeams that they implement right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts