Why no 2nd HD-DVR?

ctjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
I had heard that when the ViP622 came out, you could only get one and had to buy one somewhere if you wanted another. I thought that was b/c it was new at the time and they needed to get them out and into the hands of subs. Not great, but understandable.

I just called to switch from D* and the CSR said, "Nope, no 2nd unit unless you buy it from a retailer."

My folks live in our house with their own HD set, so that is a 100% deal-breaker.

Anyone know what's up with that? 2 units "for free", I can understand, but not at all?

That was true when they first came out, but then was allowed and encouraged. Unless I'm missing something you shouldn't have a problem. I'd try calling again. Sometimes you just get the wrong CSR or it could just be because you called at an unfortunate time because dish is coping with huge numbers of changes caused by the new pricing structure. The computers have been hosed for the past 2 days. That's as bad as I've seen it with them.

Same thing... no way, Jose. (well, the CSR's name is Carlos, but still... no dice)

What about escalating the issue?

Are you a current subscriber wanting to add? or looking to be a new customer?

If your a new customer, I would think they would work someting out for you.

Just tell them you can get as many DVR's as you want from your local cable company... :)

Same thing from the Supervisor. Kind of an asinine policy. They're "giving one" away, why not add, say, the original $199.00 price if you want a second.

It's been long time since someone DIDN'T want to take my money.

Buh-bye to Dish.

I just called Dish, and I was told to call back on 02-25, that's when I'll have a year, and the CSR name was Tony.

Done! I'll report back if I hear anything. Otherwise, I guess it's Comcast... :-(

I don't know about repeat calling... I got 2 CSRs and a supervisor. All were in lock-step.

I don't mind an 18 month agreement (I kinda prefer it, keeps me from having a bunch of installers at the house all the time!

I tried to get a second vip622 today with the same results, only one leased hddvr per account. I then sent an email to ceo@echostar.com and got a reply about 20 mins later saying that he had put a note in my account to let me have a second leased hddvr. I call back and after about 20 mins on the phone the csr found the note and I should have the second vip622 installed on monday.

hmmmmm... I never heard anything back (about 5 hours ago). Maybe it was too late in the day? Or maybe because I am not a current customer?

You know I don't want to sound like a prick, but you people should be happy that your getting 1 HD DVR for FREE.

They already waived the $199 Upgrade charge on the first receiver, I think thats good enough considering the promotion.

The only thing I do dissagree with is that they should have a provision that if a customer wants to lease a 2nd HD DVR they should be able to pay $199 for the 2nd receiver instead of having to buy it for $499.

The only thing I do dissagree with is that they should have a provision that if a customer wants to lease a 2nd HD DVR they should be able to pay $199 for the 2nd receiver instead of having to buy it for $499.

That's EXACTLY what I said.

Well,

Here's what I got back after writing and saying I would be happy to lease/commit/whatever to get the second unit:

"Thanks for the email and your interest in DISH Network programming. Occasionally we allow existing customers to upgrade to a second vip622 HD DVR after a certain amount of time they have been with us. As a new customer, you would get a free vip622 HD DVR but if you needed a second, you would have to purchase it. I would suggest getting an account set up with our new promotion giving you a free 622 and a 625 SD DVR. Normally we do not allow customers to lease to 622’s except in very limited situations.

Sorry this was not more encouraging news. Please let me know if you have any other questions."

________

Don't worry-- I won't let the screen door hit me on my way to Comcast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)