Why no away team MLB games

Because not all the radios can go up to the number of channels required I believe.

For example, in my 2016 F-150, the channels go up to the mid 200's ... the NCAA football Conference channels are in the mid 300's.

Now if they could fix that with an over the air Update, that would be awesome ...

However, I don't see SiriusXM doing anything to improve thier service ...
What year was the merger? by 2016 they should have fixed the radios.

What year was the merger? by 2016 they should have fixed the radios.

July 29, 2008

NEW YORK, July 29, 2008 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- SIRIUS Satellite Radio (Nasdaq: SIRI) and XM Satellite Radio today announced that they have completed their merger, resulting in the nation's premier radio company.Jul 29, 2008

I believe what they did was bring out a newer radio, instead of Sirius or XM, the new ones were SiriusXm and I think those radios did cover the whole list of channels ...
Why the auto radios were not updated as the newer models came out (vehicle wise) I don't know.
Unless the contracts did not permit it or Sirius asked the dealers for more and they balked ... not really sure.

While merged totally for business purposes, the original Sirius and the original XM are still separate technologies. Going back and replacing hundreds of thousands of radios, many of them built in to nice cars, would have been impractical. Thus there still are XM radios that can get only XM signals, Sirius radios that can get only Sirius signals and then there are the current model Sirius XM radios that receive both. AFAIK current model cars all come with SXM radios. However they still sell all three types for home and after market instals.

What is the difference between Sirius, XM, and SiriusXM radios?

While merged totally for business purposes, the original Sirius and the original XM are still separate technologies. Going back and replacing hundreds of thousands of radios, many of them built in to nice cars, would have been impractical. Thus there still are XM radios that can get only XM signals, Sirius radios that can get only Sirius signals and then there are the current model Sirius XM radios that receive both. AFAIK current model cars all come with SXM radios. However they still sell all three types for home and after market instals.

What is the difference between Sirius, XM, and SiriusXM radios?

Is there a reason they can’t send upgrades to these radios. They are running off of a satellite. Surely they can send upgrade signals to merge the platforms

My Ford must have just Sirius, no XM, although it does have the Travel Link and Traffic and whatnot.

After looking at the different years listed .... mine says its a Sirius Radio and SiriusXM Traffic ...

So which is it, it clearly has the SiriusXM technology in it for the Traffic, but not the rest ?

Is there a reason they can’t send upgrades to these radios. They are running off of a satellite. Surely they can send upgrade signals to merge the platforms

It is not an "upgrade" like software. It is two totally different systems. Sirius is a system that uses three 4 MHz carriers on the S-band at 2320 to 2332.5 MHz. It decodes the signal using a proprietary algorithm contained as hardware within the radio. XM uses six 4 MHz carriers with a different latency speed on the S-band at 2332.5 to 2345 MHz and uses a software based decoding algorithm from Coding Technologies.

In short it is Beta-VHS, Diesel-gasoline, etc. Two totally different systems trying to achieve the same thing. The only way to upgrade a Sirius radio or and XM radio to a SiriusXM radio is to remove it and replace it with one that is set up for both signals. Which would cost a lot of money and, bluntly, once you remove the dash of a car, it is never the same again.

Reactions: TheKrell
It is not an "upgrade" like software. It is two totally different systems. Sirius is a system that uses three 4 MHz carriers on the S-band at 2320 to 2332.5 MHz. It decodes the signal using a proprietary algorithm contained as hardware within the radio. XM uses six 4 MHz carriers with a different latency speed on the S-band at 2332.5 to 2345 MHz and uses a software based decoding algorithm from Coding Technologies.

In short it is Beta-VHS, Diesel-gasoline, etc. Two totally different systems trying to achieve the same thing. The only way to upgrade a Sirius radio or and XM radio to a SiriusXM radio is to remove it and replace it with one that is set up for both signals. Which would cost a lot of money and, bluntly, once you remove the dash of a car, it is never the same again.
Why can't they just simulcast both streams to one another?

Is it true that XM uses geostationary satellites and Sirius uses low earth orbit satellites? I thought I read that somewhere once. Thanks for the informative posts.

Is it true that XM uses geostationary satellites and Sirius uses low earth orbit satellites? I thought I read that somewhere once. Thanks for the informative posts.

Not anymore. XM has always been like 99% of the communications satellites ever, in "geostationary" orbit. Meaning that it moves at the same speed as the Earth and thus is over the exact same spot all the time. The original Sirius had a unique deal where the a series of sats were in (relative to the Earth) an orbit that was like a figure 8 over the Americas, such that at least one was over the USA all the time, while others "rested" at the bottom of the 8. They abandoned this for the traditional system early on.

Reactions: david_jr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts