Why no new competitor equipment upgrades?

Granted on the price but why not provide support so that an owner can swap out the drive to an SSD, or maybe you can and no one here has done so.

Not sure with the Hopper. In the older DVRs, only certain drive models were supported and unsupported drives wouldn't format. It would be nice if it was like modern Tivos, where you just slap a new drive in and go. I expect the reason is not wanting to have a bunch of would-be DIY techs calling in for support when something goes terribly wrong on their (commonly) Dish-owned device.

I'll just add that we've had "spinning rust" drives operating in various devices in our motorhome for the past 13 years, both while moving and stationary, and have not yet had a drive failure.

Reactions: navychop
I live in a small town, where our Internet sometimes works for days without going down, but it still goes down. I also have Dish and the Hopper 3. We have had some issues with it going out, but I will stick with Dish being on vs our High Speed Internet going down. We were having issues with our old Modem/Router, and we have a new Modem/Router, and we still continue to have issues with it. I have even considered going with our local cable company, in terms of Internet only, but they are even worse than our current ISP. Cord cutting is not even a topic in our household.
how is it cutting the cord when your bound to an isp of some sort. to cut the cord one has to be on pure OTA. i can see cord shaving!!!

i think we have a way to go before sat dies off. i tried directv now and i think that is the closest one that comes close to what i am used to . i hate it. too many features i love on my hopper. and watch, internet prices will rise even more .

Well that's kinda what I am thinking. DTV has so many more subs. There is no incentive to offer better equipment. There already winning. But Zero conflicts ever. Is a huge plus. Many years ago Pre VIP DVR's. Dish may have had some questionable equipment. I don't recall ever having a VIP, 1st gen hopper , and Hopper 3. Ever fail. I have read of failures both in DTV and Dish. That's just tech. I have never had a piece of LG electronics that worked well. But I know they make good stuff. This is our experience not everyone's. As far as sat going away. Please. As streaming services cost rise as well as internet. Prices will self level and we will be right back here talking about it. Have a friend. Started out dropping cable. Got Netflicks, sling bought some Firesticks. After all the crap he started subing to. $10 here $10 there. He's almost were he was before. Thanks everybody for the SSD hard drive talk as well. Have a Great week.

So who’s going to volunteer to try a SSD as a Hopper EHD, and then as an internal drive?

Only $130 at Microcenter for a Samsung 500GB USB 3.1 drive.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

how is it cutting the cord when your bound to an isp of some sort. to cut the cord one has to be on pure OTA. i can see cord shaving!!!

I get all of my TV programming "Over The Air" regardless of whether it's free direct from the station's towers, via paid satellite service, or via my paid cell Internet services. Maybe we need another term for it like "cutting the cash flow" instead of "cutting the cord"?

I get all of my TV programming "Over The Air" regardless of whether it's free direct from the station's towers, via paid satellite service, or via my paid cell Internet services. Maybe we need another term for it like "cutting the cash flow" instead of "cutting the cord"?
Pretty sure "cutting the cord" originally meant cutting out cable aka cutting the cable cord since adapted to mean getting of any linear pay Tv service.

SlingTV, ps vue, DTVN are all linear and considered cutting the cord.

True. Things have changed a lot since the term was coined. Of course, you don't have to have a cable to watch these. You can watch them on a wireless device. Semantics.

You don’t have to have a cable for Dish either. If you just set up the satellite receiver and connected it to internet, there is Dish Anywhere. Now if we eliminate the coax from satellite to receiver, we should also eliminate the coax from the junction box to modem to get internet. It’s a loose term that no one can properly describe.

When I first heard the term "cord cutter," I always assumed it meant a person who dumped cable (or satellite) and went to OTA. It's the only truly free broadcast medium, no?

That's the generally accepted meaning of "cord cutter", as inaccurate as it is, but then "OTA" is also inaccurate when applied only to direct from the tower to TV broadcasting. Is streaming TV programming "truly free" from a free app like Pluto when it's transferred over an existing Internet service that would still be in place even without the TV programming use?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)