Why no record leaving pause?

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
New HwS and initially OK. Now when I pause and try to continue play it gives me a red dot with a slash through it. No other activity.

I interpret this to mean a no record allowed. A jog back or forward allows play. What is going on? Annoying never was on H2000.

-Ken

My HWS does this. Brand new hard drive, no errors reported when transferring programs.

At least, it did it the last time I checked. I haven't checked lately. It would be nice if it was a temporary situation, but it would be nice to know what causes it.

Cancel message #4, I'm back with the barred red dot, i.e., no playing. It was working all evening, and then bam. This is getting old quickly.
-Ken

I sometimes get that if I try to pause as soon as I tune to a channel. If I wait a few seconds before pausing, it works. I think, it has to do with the buffer. My theory is that the buffer must have some data in it before you can pause.

I had missed the earlier reference to what sounds like the same problem, thanks JimS. So I'm not alone.
I have been playing a show and pause it. Then when I try to un-pause or to play I get the no record allowed--slashed red dot.
I think it expects I am trying to record the show I am playing back and thus I cannot because you can't do that.
The peculiar thing is that it was working all evening and then say after midnight I get this problem.
My usual solution is to do a skip back (or forward and then back to the right place) and it will play.
Some programmer messed up and missed a case. But why hours after starting to use it?
-Ken

I have this problem when I'm playing something on an external hard drive. If I transfer the shows back to the HWS it works fine.

I haven't had this problem when playing anything on the hopper dvr.

I haven't watched much live on the HWS so I can't really comment about pausing in that case. Actually, I just tried pausing on live programs on a few channels and it worked fine.

I only have this problem on the external hard drives.

Additional problem:
I stop the playback and when I look at the EHD's indicator of position it is not where I left it. Perhaps it is at the previous stoppage.
If it reaches the end and I back up it is not near 100% viewed, it is at 0%. This is different than the H2000.
This makes it difficult to tell which show was being viewed from the 100 or so episodes for a title.
Some do have the stop percentage correct but those were ones played back through the H2000, it seems.
-Ken

Does the EHD have time to go into sleep mode before this occurs? Or does this happen at any time you are pausing an EHD event?

Is this what you are seeing?

Capture 1.JPG

This is definitely not something new, as I posted about it in May right after I got my HWS installed (along with some other issues).

Yet another External Harddrive issue

Never got a response regarding the appearance of this particular symbol. I just assumed I was the only one seeing it. Funny thing is that I haven't experienced that at all recently, though I really haven't been using my EHDs a lot lately.

Don't really have a solution to offer, it's just good to finally see someone else reporting the same thing. (I'm NOT crazy! :wacko: )

Yes, that is the "no record allowed" symbol, as I call it. It seems to apply only to the EHD, reproducible on recording from months ago and soon after announcing it is available. Play it and pause and it is locked out of play but not skips. It seems to think it is a record request--thus a programming error not seen on the H2000--this from a physicist-programmer. Not dependent on time of time as I thought. That's just when I got to playback.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)