why should i stay with d* for hd instead of switching to comcast??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

godzooky

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
$99 setup fee plus $9.99 per month with a 2 year committment and a degraded hd signal. what a deal.

godzooky said:
$99 setup fee plus $9.99 per month with a 2 year committment and a degraded hd signal. what a deal.

You shouldn't stay with anything if YOU are not satisfied; take the greener grass now. Everyone has their own reasoning for staying or going and that really can't realate specific to YOU.

Last edited:
directvfreak said:
I would try both side by side for 1 month and see which one you like better.

If you are just considering picture quality for the hd channels, don't even bother, no way directv will look better than comcast side by side.

Whenever I see comcast cable at a friends house, even with HD, the user interface stinks. The guide is so much better on DirecTV. Maybe a minor thing overall, and not directly related to HD, but makes for a better viewing experience. I'm just going to be patient and hope we get better HD in the future.

I find many complain and cry too much on this board sometimes about what D* offers compared to others. If you do not like what D* has to offer send all your equipment back and switch. I recently switched from Time Warner which I will admit the HD programming did look slightly better than that of D* at times but I am happy with my service and what they offer to me. If I was not satisfied with their service I surely would not come and complain about it here, like somebody would really give a s*** why I did or did not like the service. Just my rant but it seems there is a lot of beating the same dead horse here at times over how bad people think D*. I do however enjoy the good conversations about problems some are having and different solutions presented to them or what new technologies are coming. I also do understand it is nice to have a place to come express your dissatisfaction about something but if you want to swtich then go right ahead nobody really cares.

nzone said:
I find many complain and cry too much on this board sometimes about what D* offers compared to others. If you do not like what D* has to offer send all your equipment back and switch. I recently switched from Time Warner which I will admit the HD programming did look slightly better than that of D* at times but I am happy with my service and what they offer to me. If I was not satisfied with their service I surely would not come and complain about it here, like somebody would really give a s*** why I did or did not like the service. Just my rant but it seems there is a lot of beating the same dead horse here at times over how bad people think D*. I do however enjoy the good conversations about problems some are having and different solutions presented to them or what new technologies are coming. I also do understand it is nice to have a place to come express your dissatisfaction about something but if you want to swtich then go right ahead nobody really cares.

Complaining? Just voiceing their concerns, the old saying goes "Closed mouths don't get fed"

I'm sure there are many reasons people have not left yet:

1) hundreds\thousands of dollars people have spent on their equipment prior to the new lease program (I'm not one of them)
2) That little 2yr. commitment thing (I signed up in April and wouldn't want to give D* the hundreds of dollars to switch) personally can't afford that
3) Die hard NFL\sports fans

I'm sure there are other reasons, but D* has NFLST and that's a large customer base that some people can't live without.

I think all we can possibly talk about have been exhausted, not like we have a new HD-DVR to speak on?

Hey, what's the next firmware?

That interactive feature is awesome!! (I need go watch "Charmed" seems like everyone else is)

How's your PQ on that new ***-HD channel, oh wait there is none.

Simple

If you don't need the Ticket and/or the most important thing to you is having mind blowing HD then get Comcast.
If You need the ticket and/or you don't even know what HD stands for then you go with D*. Simple.

vgsantiago said:
Complaining? Just voiceing their concerns, the old saying goes "Closed mouths don't get fed"

I'm sure there are many reasons people have not left yet:

1) hundreds\thousands of dollars people have spent on their equipment prior to the new lease program (I'm not one of them)
2) That little 2yr. commitment thing (I signed up in April and wouldn't want to give D* the hundreds of dollars to switch) personally can't afford that
3) Die hard NFL\sports fans

I'm sure there are other reasons, but D* has NFLST and that's a large customer base that some people can't live without.

I think all we can possibly talk about have been exhausted, not like we have a new HD-DVR to speak on?

Hey, what's the next firmware?

That interactive feature is awesome!! (I need go watch "Charmed" seems like everyone else is)

How's your PQ on that new ***-HD channel, oh wait there is none.
Voicing concerns is one thing but complaining about which service is better is just an opinion that never leads anywhere. I know, that is what these boards are for, i was just stating my opinion about how it seems to be discussed way too much. I mean go with one or the other, after all it is just a television service, alot more to likfe than just TV. The little two year agreement thing if you did not know, as long as you send all D* equipment back there is no penalty. Call and talk to them about that if you want too.Now you can switch to cable and come and tell everyone how much better the HD programming is.Now I would still be with cable if they offered the ST. I cannot say anything bad about the Time Warner when I had them, service was great. Now with D* during heavy rain I lose signal for a short period of time and the HD picture quality is not up to par with what my cable service. Having stated that, I knew what I was getting into when I signed up with D* plus I had 30 days to figure out if I liked it enough to keep. Well of course there are things that could be better but in comparison it is pretty good and the SD channels look better on D* in my humble opinion.

nzone said:
Voicing concerns is one thing but complaining about which service is better is just an opinion that never leads anywhere. I know, that is what these boards are for, i was just stating my opinion about how it seems to be discussed way too much. I mean go with one or the other, after all it is just a television service, alot more to likfe than just TV. The little two year agreement thing if you did not know, as long as you send all D* equipment back there is no penalty. Call and talk to them about that if you want too.Now you can switch to cable and come and tell everyone how much better the HD programming is.Now I would still be with cable if they offered the ST. I cannot say anything bad about the Time Warner when I had them, service was great. Now with D* during heavy rain I lose signal for a short period of time and the HD picture quality is not up to par with what my cable service. Having stated that, I knew what I was getting into when I signed up with D* plus I had 30 days to figure out if I liked it enough to keep. Well of course there are things that could be better but in comparison it is pretty good and the SD channels look better on D* in my humble opinion.

You might be right about the 2yr. commitment thing, so why do they call it a 2yr. commitment if I pay nothing to stop at anytime:confused: If not mistaken it's like $12.50 a month for every month of failed obligation.

I whole heartedly believe more to life than TV service, but $40,50-100+ a month to D* I want to make sure they know they're not up to par.

I stayed past my 30 day trial period to hang on till 07, so I'm sure we only hope someone sees these posts along with telephone calls\emails to D* and they work on some of the issues and when 07 is here it will be GLORIOUS@party

nzone said:

I agree with nzone 100% I have been following all the posts and this is my first 2 cents worth I was a c-band user and was converted over to D* no charge to me about 5 years ago all I have ever spent on equipment was the $99.00 to convert over to the new HD equipment I was a ST subscriber but have not for the last 2 years as I felt the cost was to high for what I was using only around for half of the Sundays to watch. that was my choice. I am happy with my choice I know all is not perfect just checkout the E* side of this forum same thing problems there to.
I am sticking with D* because I feel in a year or two when the new satellites are up and operating D* will have the upper hand not with out some or even many growing pains along the way and everyone that left will be back.
I live in the sticks and satellite is my only option OTA is just out of the question and believe me now that I get the locals out of Minneapolis in HD I am a happy camper:) I have not had the major issues like others with pixelation and lip sync
and am happy with the PQ better on some channels then others.
Well that's my 2 cents worth hope I didn't bore you all

upnorth said:
I agree with nzone 100% I have been following all the posts and this is my first 2 cents worth I was a c-band user and was converted over to D* no charge to me about 5 years ago all I have ever spent on equipment was the $99.00 to convert over to the new HD equipment I was a ST subscriber but have not for the last 2 years as I felt the cost was to high for what I was using only around for half of the Sundays to watch. that was my choice. I am happy with my choice I know all is not perfect just checkout the E* side of this forum same thing problems there to.
I am sticking with D* because I feel in a year or two when the new satellites are up and operating D* will have the upper hand not with out some or even many growing pains along the way and everyone that left will be back.
I live in the sticks and satellite is my only option OTA is just out of the question and believe me now that I get the locals out of Minneapolis in HD I am a happy camper:) I have not had the major issues like others with pixelation and lip sync
and am happy with the PQ better on some channels then others.
Well that's my 2 cents worth hope I didn't bore you all

I hear ya, I love D* except for it's Hd programming and HD PQ. I have 4 sets running on D11's and 1 R15 and I think it's outstanding (really).

I thought my Mom's cooking was great till I met my Wife:hungry: :luvlove: I only said that to say this, when you have had a chance to compare it something else you'll notice the difference.

I'll still be here in 07 to @party when D* rewards us for our commitement (2yr or otherwise "No pun intended")

vgsantiago said:
I hear ya, I love D* except for it's Hd programming and HD PQ. I have 4 sets running on D11's and 1 R15 and I think it's outstanding (really).

I thought my Mom's cooking was great till I met my Wife:hungry: :luvlove: I only said that to say this, when you have had a chance to compare it something else you'll notice the difference.

I'll still be here in 07 to @party when D* rewards us for our commitement (2yr or otherwise "No pun intended")

You are right on there!:up vgsantiago but I have nothing to really compare to maybe E* has the edge right now but my quess is D* is the future and if that does not happen I will have to eat my words and kick myself for not switching sooner.
I need to feed my new 46" DLP HDTV something and for now that will be D*.
I think a lot of people just do not understand the whole bandwidth thing and think there is nothing to adding a few channels you cant' squeeze blood out of a turnup there just is no room for more channels the sooner they convert to mpeg4 with the new satellites hopefully the better we will be. No more hd lite ya right. well maybe wishfull thinking I think they need to dump a bunch of worthless channels and free up some space now but then who am i just 1 subscriber

Stick with what you want. If you want to go to cable go to cable, if you want to go to DTV go to DTV, we all have our preferences of why we like either the Dish or cable. When this topic is posted, a magic answer wont come, its ultimately your choice as you are the one who will be watching the specific type of service you chose.

But here is my two cents.....I like football as many of said already in this post, I have Sunday Ticket, But I do ask myself if comcast announced that they now have the ticket would I jump......I really don't think I would.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)