Why should I stay with Dish Network and not go with Comcast?

I pay only $31.99

I get the HD Package free for 6 months. Get local over the air HD. No HD DVR but do have a stand alone Tivo.

Cables Sci-Fi channel with Brighthouse sucks. When I had BH HD DVR picture quality for analog was crap especially with Sci-Fi, Switched to Dish and now I am much happier.

Comcast (Tucson) was Terrible PQ and Higher Priced than *E
The Cable High-speed Internet was ok but 1-2 times per month there were problems where it slowed down to dial-up speed.
I left Comcast in Jan for *E and have been happy so far.
Qwest 1.5 Mbps DSL service that I have now is as fast as Comcast ever was.
The Mbps numbers Cable and DSL providers throw around are deceptive in my experience. When you read the fine print you see that it is the Max possible speed under super Ideal conditions and your actual numbers will vary and tend to be lower.

If you live in a city with excellent cable service and competive rates then It may make sense to ditch the Dish.

The only good thing about cable TV is that it's analog, which isn't good for those who like digital TV, but it means no set top boxes....

It was almost worth it to plug in as many TVs in as many places as I wanted to. Having to have RG6 runs to receivers and paying $5 more if you add another.. well that is a real kick in the balls sometimes.

It's even more irritating that well, what if you buy all that equipment.. well you still have to pay dishnet $5 more for that receiver, unless it's a dual tuner, then you pay $5 more for the box itself, unless it's a DVR and then it's $5 more + the $5 DVR box fee...

What if you bought the dishes, the switch, and the receivers? How is Dish Net (or DirecTV) deserving that extra $5? The DVR fee is even worse because last I checked they don't do anything special that requires more overhead on the company's side...

Someone explain that one for me sometime, it's the only thing I hate about digital TV.

After the promotional period pricing, Dish service, even with the sat box fees, is very competitive price-wise with Charter in my area.

My Charter franchise has decided, unfortunately, to apparently over-compress their signal leading to soft PQ and to provide customers with a cluncky, though inexpensive ($7/month -- which really got my attention initially) HD-DVR (I knew there had to be a reason why their DVR was only $7/month -- it stinks).

I am envious of those who have exemplary cable service in their area.

Why did my cable provider have to be such a turkey. Why, Lord, oh why????

Oh, well. For now, I love my vastly superior 942 and that dazzeling Dish picture quality -- and, I almost forgot, the Voom channels!

Comcast has given me a dual tuner HIDEF pvr, all 4 movie channels in hidef,5 networks in hi def(big 4+ WB) INHD1+2,tnt and pbs and espn. all that as well as every channel they offer for $125/mnth. I like satellite--a lot but now they just cant compete in the HD arena.-- I would go with cable until Dish can at least provide you with something to record in hd on!! pvr's are what happenin' and dish cant even provide you with one that will work with the other latest rage--HD

kavula said:
^ um, E* has a HD PVR that they can provide you with that will work with HD.
Um, E* charges $250 upfront, plus a $5 DVR fee and $10 HD Pack fee. Comcast charges ZERO upfront, and in my area it's $10 for the DVR and HD fee.

Oh, and currently, existing customers must pay the full $700 to purchase a Dish 942 HD DVR. They don't even offer the $250 lease option.

Yes, you did. I said E* had an HD DVR, as opposed to mattyro who said it it didn't. I didn't say it was cheap.

Comcast is a rip-off. The bill changes every month (always goes up) and customer service sucks. I dumped Comcast for Dish, but I still have Comcast HSI until DSL becomes available. But then I hear SBC charges $40+/mth for 1.5Mb DSL, if so I will just keep Comcast for $42.95/mth (rip)

FWIW, SBC charges $15 a month and up for DSL, a 1.5 line starts at $15, actually -- though the landline required costs about $17 a month for us..

My 3.0/512 costs about $57 a month including the landline, but it'd go down to about $47 if we re-upped the contract.

Comcast's DVR sucks. Just this last weekend i had a timer conflict. Iron Chef America, Family Guy, and Goldmember all recording at the same time. I was watching Goldmember, sacrificed family guy and told it to record ICA on the other tuner.

What did i get?

2 hours of Goldmember
1 Hour of Goldmember

No Iron chef America. Bastards. Made me record it at the 1am showing for later.

andrewe77 said:
Comcast has a promotion in my area where I can get an HDTV PVR, digital silver package, HBO (in HD as well), free installation, no lease fees for $29.99 for 16 months.

Where are you that you get that deal? I'm in Atlanta, and the best they would offer me was $55.99 for all of that.

Ray_Air said:
Comcast is a rip-off. The bill changes every month (always goes up) and customer service sucks. I dumped Comcast for Dish, but I still have Comcast HSI until DSL becomes available. But then I hear SBC charges $40+/mth for 1.5Mb DSL, if so I will just keep Comcast for $42.95/mth (rip)

It's obvious you don't know what you're talking about. DSL is $14.95/mo with a 1 year contract.

bcshields said:
Comcast's DVR sucks. Just this last weekend i had a timer conflict. Iron Chef America, Family Guy, and Goldmember all recording at the same time. I was watching Goldmember, sacrificed family guy and told it to record ICA on the other tuner.

What did i get?

2 hours of Goldmember
1 Hour of Goldmember

No Iron chef America. Bastards. Made me record it at the 1am showing for later.
That sucks. My Comcast DVR (6412) records multiple events just fine. (Although, being a 2-tuner model, it may have issues recording 3 simultaneous programs.)

Perhaps you need the rock-solid stability of the track-proven Dish DVR's, known throughout the industry as the most reliable, feature-laden...bwahahahahahahahahahahaha. I just couldn't keep a straight face. Sorry.

GaryPen said:
That sucks. My Comcast DVR (6412) records multiple events just fine. (Although, being a 2-tuner model, it may have issues recording 3 simultaneous programs.)

Perhaps you need the rock-solid stability of the track-proven Dish DVR's, known throughout the industry as the most reliable, feature-laden...bwahahahahahahahahahahaha. I just couldn't keep a straight face. Sorry.

Not to mention NO FIREWIRE CONNECTIONS on Dish DVRs. The 6412 that comcast uses has enabled firewire ports allowing you to dump shows to your PC or d-vhs.

HokieEngineer said:
Not to mention NO FIREWIRE CONNECTIONS on Dish DVRs. The 6412 that comcast uses has enabled firewire ports allowing you to dump shows to your PC or d-vhs.

Also record movies on a DVD recorder via firewire!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)