Why shouldn't I leave D*?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mcsj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 25, 2004
My D* contract ends soon. I checked both D* and E* web site and I found that Total Choice cost $443.88 a year while America's Top 120 cost $385 a year. I have antenna so I don't need local channels, and I don't have HDTV, I don't need anything higher than Total Choice and America's Top 120, and I don't need a TiVo/PVR. Can anyone give me a reason not to switch?

Thanks a lot!

To answer your question, there seem to be no reason for you to stay with D*.
So, go ahead and switch.
But don't expect any provider to care about what you want when you are not spending even $40 a month on their service. (The average at D* is about $63 a month and rising.)
Chase Carey is making it clear that retention programs are growing to keep churn down among customers who spend $80+ a month and who are interested in LIL, DVRs, premium channels and HD.
The folks who spend the minimum are generally not worth it to D* or E* (or even MSOs).
So figure out what works best for you and make the switch.

mcsj said:
Can anyone give me a reason not to switch?

If you switch, Rupert Murdoch will knock on your door, beat you up and flirt with your wife! ;)

Seriously though, find out if Dish has all the channels you are interested in, and if they do, make sure the picture quality looks good to you, and if they do, I say save some money!

~Alan

Contact Directv's customer retention dept. They have a programming package that is cheaper than Total Choice they can use to save customers, of course it contains fewer channels. Of course you could also buy just AT-60 if you are looking for a cheap programming package with DISH.

Sounds like you need just basic hardware, like a 301. If that's the case do the switch, just try to avoid some of the newer STB's which tend to have a few bugs for the first year or so.

Here is a reason, because DISH Network is DISH Network, and will always be just DISH Network. You'll regret leaving DirecTV, I guarantee it...

I'm leaving after 5 years with Direct. Reason 1: Lack of HD content Reason 2: Just went up $3.00 on the total choice package Reason 3: Wants to keep seceret their plans, Hello VOOM!

I hope they keep that "lack of hd content". I hope they don't waste the bandwidth that is being freed up @ 101 on HD, it's not worth it. They should concentrate on channels that all of their customers can benefit from, not just a few. I have absolutely no interest in HD right now.

dssdbs said:
I hope they keep that "lack of hd content". I hope they don't waste the bandwidth that is being freed up @ 101 on HD, it's not worth it. They should concentrate on channels that all of their customers can benefit from, not just a few. I have absolutely no interest in HD right now.
In today's world you either lead, follow, or get out of the way and you need to get out of the way MR. Stoneage.

Are you aware that you are actually getting FEWER channels in AT120 than in TC. (NOT counting the Sirius music channels) Here's what you get in TC that you do NOT get in AT120:

Bloomberg
CNBC World
Fine Living
FitTV
Fox Movies
Hallmark Ch
National Geographic
Newsworld International
NFL Network
Outdoor Life
Oxygen
Trio

Since there are NO video channels (other than PA channels) that come in AT120 that are NOT in TC, I not sure I understand the point of switching, (unless you want Sirius) but whatever...

branchbouncer said:
Directv is the best service out there now in programing,picture quailty,customer services and support. Directv smokes Dish

I have recently switched from E* to D* (because the D* HD Tivo is the best) but am dissappointed. The E* picture quality is clearly better and their packaging fit me better, although I do agree that D* customer dervice is much better. (I will wind up reducing my D* programming and adding Voom).

cdelena said:
I have recently switched from E* to D* (because the D* HD Tivo is the best) but am dissappointed. The E* picture quality is clearly better and their packaging fit me better, although I do agree that D* customer dervice is much better. (I will wind up reducing my D* programming and adding Voom).

Just wait until 7S is up and functional. PQ should get much better. I don't see any plans for E* to free up bandwidth. Plus, I get all my locals on one dish with D*, I would need 2 with E*. SuperDISH is a flop, but the triple LNB isn't.

Neutron said:
Just wait until 7S is up and functional. PQ should get much better.

That's the first I've heard of this being one of the side benefits of D7S. Can you please point me to the reference that this information is from? Thanks

Neutron said:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=27304

Looks like they will be moving some of the locals currently on existing sats to this new one, in addition to adding more locals to 7S

I knew that, but how is that going to translate into better PQ? They can still load up the transponders and overcompress the signals when they do this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)