Why so long to restart receiver after power outage...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Hi... We have more than what most would think is a reasonable number of power outages here in Northern California. I've had Directv since 2005 and every time there's a power outage, after the power returns it takes more than five minutes for each of the three receivers we have to go through all the set up and re-establish video... Why does it take so long??? What is the receiver doing all this time??? With radio waves travelling at near the speed of light it seems like all necessary communication should occur within seconds... This is more a point of curiosity than anything... Any input would be much appreciated... thanks much... bob..

Hi... We have more than what most would think is a reasonable number of power outages here in Northern California. I've had Directv since 2005 and every time there's a power outage, after the power returns it takes more than five minutes for each of the three receivers we have to go through all the set up and re-establish video... Why does it take so long??? What is the receiver doing all this time??? With radio waves travelling at near the speed of light it seems like all necessary communication should occur within seconds... This is more a point of curiosity than anything... Any input would be much appreciated... thanks much... bob..
It normally tells you what it is doing.
It does alot of internal checks.
Verifies your signal in stable
Builds the guide, 3 days at first then advances to up to 14 days depending on yur rec. over time, usually 24 hours.

I think for a standard reboot the HR 20/21's take about 7 minutes, the NON DVR unit take less, I would guess that the SD unit are less yet.

Jimbo

If he's had service since 2005, it could be TiVo boxes and some of the older models that also took a while.

As far as the comment about "near the speed of light", it's not the signals that are the hold up...it's the circuitry. You're computer receives it's power at the speed of light, but it still takes time to boot up. That's because it has several processes and self checks that it must go through.

All STB's (DVR or not), are basically computers. They have to go through the same self tests and processes as your computer. In addition, like Jimbo said, they have to download the guide data that is appropriate for your access card and it takes time to filter through all of that data.

If power outages in your area are that frequent and you're that impatient, maybe you should consider placing your receivers on a UPS.

If he's had service since 2005, it could be TiVo boxes and some of the older models that also took a while.

As far as the comment about "near the speed of light", it's not the signals that are the hold up...it's the circuitry. You're computer receives it's power at the speed of light, but it still takes time to boot up. That's because it has several processes and self checks that it must go through.

All STB's (DVR or not), are basically computers. They have to go through the same self tests and processes as your computer. In addition, like Jimbo said, they have to download the guide data that is appropriate for your access card and it takes time to filter through all of that data.

If power outages in your area are that frequent and you're that impatient, maybe you should consider placing your receivers on a UPS.

I'm in total agreement with this statement.;)

Ahh how I love my old RCA DRD303A receiver, boots up in 10 seconds AND already has the guide data (for today) loaded :)

I run large UPS's for my STB's and TV/home theater stuff. If something ever happens to it due to a power issue, the UPS company will pay for it, let alone the convience of not having things shut off during the five minutes till the generator is running (in addition to conditioning the power).

Get a $40 or $60 APC branded UPS battery backup. Plug only your DVR, and other simple items like a router, switch, HDMI switch, stereo receiver into the battery. TVs boot pretty quick, so you don't really need to plug the actual TV in. You may actually overload it with a TV. If you want the TV plugged in, just buy a more expensive UPS.

I use UPSs for all my computers, cable boxes, sat boxes, receivers, etc. Those blackouts, and especially brownouts (we get a lot of in FL) where the lights go dim, can be very damaging on computers, routers, cable boxes, etc.

To heck with 10 minutes of rebooting. Do yourself a favor and get a UPS for that box today.

Get a $40 or $60 APC branded UPS battery backup. Plug only your DVR, and other simple items like a router, switch, HDMI switch, stereo receiver into the battery. TVs boot pretty quick, so you don't really need to plug the actual TV in. You may actually overload it with a TV. If you want the TV plugged in, just buy a more expensive UPS.

I use UPSs for all my computers, cable boxes, sat boxes, receivers, etc. Those blackouts, and especially brownouts (we get a lot of in FL) where the lights go dim, can be very damaging on computers, routers, cable boxes, etc.

To heck with 10 minutes of rebooting. Do yourself a favor and get a UPS for that box today.

Can you revommend a UPS unit that would handle DirecTV, a receiver, Playstation, a projector, as well as a computer?

I don't even know where to begin looking.
Thanks in advance.

Can you revommend a UPS unit that would handle DirecTV, a receiver, Playstation, a projector, as well as a computer?

Thanks in advance.

There are several models in a range of prices. Check Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot, Staples, or other similar types of stores. You are probably looking at spending $150-$200 for something good. I recommend APC brand, but don't have a specific model in mind.

Ups

The UPS is the best way as the other posters have mentioned. I just wanted to add that you may save money in the long run buying two smaller units verses buying a single unit that will power multiple devices. As someone else stated you just have to look at the total demand wattage from each device plugged into the UPS system. 15-30 mins is all you will normally have on backup power and this time is dramaticly decreased if you have it overloaded. UPS power supplies are also very good as someone else stated for line conditioning during normal power operations. I just recently installed three non-conventional UPS units, 200kva, 40kva and 20kva to facilitate an 85,000 square foot Simulation Support Training Facility for the U.S. Army. Now thats a UPS system!

Thanks in advance.

Unless you have a very unusual setup, this will require multiple pieces of UPS hardware. Are all of these plugged into outlets near each other?

The receiver (depending on output), the projector and the computer are particularly large-draw devices. If you do want all of the devices listed up at all times during a power outage, I would separate them into logical groupings.

Put the DirecTV receiver on its own (you are protecting the hard drive here, as well as reducing the chance of waiting on boot). Put the computer on its own. put the receiver and projector on a heavier one (more power draw). And unless you have a specific reason to put the Playstation on one, don't.

Several smaller UPS units are generally cheaper than one large one. Smaller (or different) ones can help prioritze your protection.

I never heard of a fast download from a satellite, ever time I go away for a few days I pull the plug. I never thought the refresh took that long.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)