Why soccer will never catch on in the U.S.

The reason that soccer doesn't catch on is because of people like you who doesn't understand the game. But you guys would sit through a boring football game, basketball game or baseball. You guys talk about soccer being boring. Let me see.
Football-play starts, 3 seconds later all this fat out of shape guys are on the ground and the clock stops. Time for a commercial guys. Here we go again another 3 seconds time for another commercial. And not to mention all those protective pads those clowns are wearing. Wimps, I would like to see them play real Rugby not football.
Basketball-a little better than football but how manny times are they going to score ? Between the 2 teams approximately 175 times. And for the playoffs, why 4 out of 7? To make $$$$ of people like you. Why not 2 out of 3?.
Baseball-now that's a sport. I am so in shape I need some chewing tobbaco to play this sport. Talking about boring. Most people don't even like the game they go to the game to eat the hot dogs. And why do they call it World series? This guys are stupid or what. If you want to be world champions why don't you play against teams like Japan, Cuba etc..
THAT IS MY OPINION ABOUT ALL THOSE THAT THINK SOCCER IS BORING.

Seems like you are the one who doesn't understand those sports.

Ditto.

For the record, I like soccer. I cover high school soccer for local TV. I just do not see the "catching on" part. The level of participation has actually declined over the last decade in this area. (not opinion, real numbers from local soccer leagues). The level of play has remained consistent, but that is not to say it's "good" on an international level.

What is catching on like wildfire here is Lacrosse! The number of teams in the area has quadrupled in the last decade and the level of play is generally outstanding!

See ya
Tony

Soccer may not be mainstream with a Fox game of the week or a Monday night game, but the fact still remains that there is a population in this country that loves it. As our country's makeup changes, it is possible for that audience to grow. Additionally, advertising plays a major impact; more advertising = more television exposure = more viewers! Believe it or not, many businesses are now looking at the MLS and who knows . . . I am sure people said Nascar would never be mainstream and look now!

There is that chance. But here is why I don't think it will become a main stream game:

Yes there are immigrants who love the game. Their locally born children, in general, DON'T! The immigrant's children are influenced by their parent's taste, but they are more influenced by their peers. If most of their friends are playing (american) football, baseball, basketball... guess what they want to play?

See ya
Tony

I agree as well Tony; again though, I think advertising plays a large role in this! Look at what advertising and Tiger Woods did for golf in the inner cities; even further back, look at what advertising and Michael Jordan did for basketball

Yes there are immigrants who love the game. Their locally born children, in general, DON'T! The immigrant's children are influenced by their parent's taste, but they are more influenced by their peers. If most of their friends are playing (american) football, baseball, basketball... guess what they want to play?

That is the best post on this subject in years. I aplaud you for having the courage to say that truth. Many people feel that if you point out that after a generation, and certainly after two generations, people are more American in culture, language, tastes, morals, values, whatever, than whatever their ancestors were, you are a "racist" or whatever. Thank you.

That is the best post on this subject in years. I aplaud you for having the courage to say that truth. Many people feel that if you point out that after a generation, and certainly after two generations, people are more American in culture, language, tastes, morals, values, whatever, than whatever their ancestors were, you are a "racist" or whatever. Thank you.

So what exactly is "American culture" today?

I agree with you, but I believe the definition of that term is constantly shifting, toward other countries' traditional cultures.

Soccer in HDTV is beautiful, I have been trying to watch as much olympic soccer on the NBC channel as much as I can, I have taken naps this weekend during the day so I can be up at 2:30am to watch the games. I dunno, something makes me excited watching 7 or 8 games in the row snoozing every so often in-between all of them. Sucks they aren't all live but doesn't bother me.

So what exactly is "American culture" today?

I agree with you, but I believe the definition of that term is constantly shifting, toward other countries' traditional cultures.

It depends in what part of the country you live...if there is ANY shift at all. I live in Miami, the so-called "American culture" looks alot more "American" than Cuban....yet I am sure that if someone from say, Iowa, were to come down...he or she would say the "American culture" would be somewhat Latin American. And if someone with latin origins would head towards Iowa....he/she could not tell the difference.

MLS is allright. I'm not a big fan, but in my opinion it is an okay fit for the North American market.

What I cannot stand is futball - all the fricken diving that goes on. It is insane. In hockey, if you dive like that, you don't draw a penalty - generally, you get a penalty for diving!

Too many times I have seen a player carried off on a stretcher, but perfectly fine 2 minutes later. Pretending like your hurt to draw a penalty is not the North American way. It's a disgrace to sports.

THAT is why futball will never catch on in North America.

Soccer might.

That is one thing that drives me NUTS when watching European Cup and World Cup and so on. A simple rule, if the stretcher has to be brought out on the field for an injury, that player is out for the half. It doesn't matter that the stretcher-barers didn't make it to the player before he was magically healed (PRAISE THE LORD! A miracle!). He stops the game due to an injury, he is out for the half. The team can send in a sub.

Taking a dive to stop the game, take a breather, or draw a foul to the point that the game has to be stopped for more than the time it takes to replace the ball for the direct or indirect kick if the whistle blew means that player sits out the rest of the half!

It'll never happen, but I can dream!

See ya
Tony

See ya
Tony

Taking a dive to stop the game, take a breather, or draw a foul to the point that the game has to be stopped
I remember when the NFL had that problem. That's why the "you lose a timeout if a player injury stops the clock after the 2 minute warning" came about. To put a stop to that nonsense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)