Why soccer will never catch on in the U.S.

jbernardi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 9, 2007
Florida
Soccer could be and is an interesting game to watch once in a while. I can appreciate some of the skill involved. However, American fans are used to seeing offense, at least offensive chances.

On 8/7/08, in the Olympics, Brazil defeated Belgium, 1-0. Nothing wrong so far. I've seen exciting 1-0 hockey games and low-scoring baseball games.

But in a 1-0 hockey game, each team normally has from 25 to 35 shots on goal, any of which have a potential of scoring.

In the 90-minute Brazil-Belgium 1-0 soccer game, Brazil took 8 shots with only 3 on goal. Belgium took 6 shots, only 2 of them on goal.

Imagine if an average basketball game had a total of 5 shots that either scored or hit the rim or backboard. The sport would die a well-deserved death.

Any comments?

Soccer won't catch on simply because it doesn't have the history that other sports have in this country. This is the reason why make-shift leagues like the XFL never caught on either. Those leagues don't have the history, household names that everyone knows or staying power that the big 4 have.

There are plenty of baseball and hockey games that are low scoring and they are still popular. I think the reason is more than just America's lack of patience.

I don't like the timing. Forward timing drives me crazy, so does the fact that the game doesn't end when it ends, just stop the time so everyone knows when the game is supposed to end.

Looks like fans of other sports are feeling a bit insecure. Counting down the clock was used in MLS for the first 4 or 5 years, fans rejected it. Games used to end with shootouts to eliminate ties, fans rejected it. What does "catch on" even mean? MLS is doing better than ever and has cost certainty. You guys may not like it but the league isn't going anywhere. Some teams are even profitable which many of your favorite teams in established sports are not. Seriously these are some of the most basic arguements which have been rehashed for years and years. Despite the insecurity of Jim Rome and you guys MLS still exists and soccer continues to gain popularity in the US. A great example is the recent Euro tournament which moved from PPV to ESPN for 2008. The ratings were great and will drive ESPN closer to forming a soccer channel. Look for ESPN classic to carry more and more soccer over the next few years and then be rebranded. Thanks for playing kids.

Want higher scoring soccer games? Simple... remove the off sides rule but make the goal keeper's box (not the penalty box) a "no man's land" for offensive players.

For the great unwashed, in soccer the offensive player closest to the opposing goal keeper must have a defender or the ball between him and the goal keeper (or at least even with him) otherwise he is off sides and the defending team gets a free kick.

Removing the off sides will allow for many more scoring opportunities for both teams.

See ya
Tony

Soccer has too many competitors at the youth level for our country to ever be a true world power.

But, with enough immigration, in a few short decades we will all be screaming GOAAAALLL somewhere 68 minutes into a scoreless game!

I have been hearing that song for 30 years now! Remember the NASL? :) Pele?

At least in this area the level of soccer has been at a plateau since 1976!

See ya
Tony

Honestly you guys could come back here all day with the same tired "opinions" that have no bearing on what's actually happening. MLS was in trouble about 7 years ago. That's when they contracted the two Florida teams and were left with a 10 team league. At this point MLS is doing better than ever so the initial question seems to be based on nothing. Here are some facts:
-MLS expansion fee is now $30 million per team and could go up to $50 million in the next round. Even at that price there is stiff competition for the remaining franchises. Unlike the NASL there will not be limitless expansion. The league has 14 teams now with 18 as the ceiling although I would think we will see 20 teams ultimately. 18 is the number FIFA recommends.
-ESPN paid to air MLS in 2006 BEFORE Beckham was signed. In the past MLS was buying time and sellng the ad space. This is in addition to paying contracts with Fox Soccer, Telefutura and HDNet. Essentially ESPN chose MLS OVER NHL.
-Every stadium that comes online brings another team into the black. Salt Lake will open theirs October 9th while New York is looking to open next season despite delays.
-Average attendance in 2008 is the 2nd highest ever on average with the big attendance games in the fall yet to be played.

Someone tell me how all this adds up to not "catching on". The one problem that is going to hit hard is the labor issue in 2010. MLS players get reamed but the owners love cost certainty. If I were a betting man I would put money on a stoppage.

See I can be objective and informative as could this discussion. Instead it's the same rehashed emotional arguements. Really not enough SOG's? Not enough history? All sports had no history at some point. No offsides? This isn't hockey where the rules change because the fans get bored. MLS tried that and traditionalism won out. You guys aren't even close to understanding the current state of soccer in this country so I'm not sure why you are even trying.

What is played in the US is "Soccer"....What is played in the rest of the world is "Football".

They are not the same. They have different fanbases, exposure and presentation in the US.

The MLS has become profitable by owning and controlling it's facilities. They also have more exposure and telecast available then other niche sports in the US. Those other leagues; WNBA, MLL and Arena Football don't have that.

"Soccer" is still mostly participated by 9 year olds who by the time they reach high school see that it's still relegated to 9th/10th sport offered. Ditto at the college level and after that is left to small hardcore group. Beyond that their fanbase is the same as the other niche US leagues, sporting events that offer "Big League" amenities at a much lower price. Or as a friend puts it...just another place to buy a beer on a Saturday night. ;)

"Football" is the game that is in the "Top 3" in most the rest of the world. While the US now has nearly 20% of it's population that is foreign born and with satellite tv and the internet making "Football" easily accessible, that fervor isn't translated to "Soccer". The same exist for their children, who play "Soccer" but at home watch "Football".

Yes, there are a those who follow both "Soccer" and "Football" but it's still leaves each in the US in the niche category.
Unless the US "Big Leagues" collapse, this will always remain the same.

I would rather watch paint dry than to sit through soccer, women's basketball, and NASCAR.

Now that I have offended foreigners, women and rednecks, I will shut up.:D

Soccer just needs more head-butts.

:D

Attachments

• Zinedine2.gif
    Zinedine2.gif
    61.3 KB · Views: 236
Soccer has been the "sport of the next generation". Three generations and counting.

Soccer will never be more than a niche sport in the USA for one simple reason. Americans have plenty more advanced sports. As do Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans, and so on. Soccer is popular in places that have no sports history or relationship with more complex sports.

I really dig the play-pretend nature of the MLS. Real Salt Lake. "Real" means "royal" in Spanish, meaning under the patronage of the Royal family, as in "The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews" or, as they are pretending to be "Real Madrid", which is to say "The Royal Madrid football club". Except, Utah, like all 50 states is a republic, with no royal family. DC United. Now Manchester United is meant to mean a club that both Protestants and Irish Catholic immigrants could follow. DC United? Republicans and democrats, maybe. Chivas USA (a direct rip off of a Mexican team). Houston Dynamo. "Dynamo" meaning "electric plant" in Russian, which back in the commie days named teams after places the players supposedly worked. FC Toronto and Dallas FC. "FC" being "Football Club" in English and other languages. But not used in American or Canadian English.

MLS probably has audited attendance equal to a mid-major college football conference or low-minor league baseball league.

The reason that soccer doesn't catch on is because of people like you who doesn't understand the game. But you guys would sit through a boring football game, basketball game or baseball. You guys talk about soccer being boring. Let me see.
Football-play starts, 3 seconds later all this fat out of shape guys are on the ground and the clock stops. Time for a commercial guys. Here we go again another 3 seconds time for another commercial. And not to mention all those protective pads those clowns are wearing. Wimps, I would like to see them play real Rugby not football.
Basketball-a little better than football but how manny times are they going to score ? Between the 2 teams approximately 175 times. And for the playoffs, why 4 out of 7? To make $$$$ of people like you. Why not 2 out of 3?.
Baseball-now that's a sport. I am so in shape I need some chewing tobbaco to play this sport. Talking about boring. Most people don't even like the game they go to the game to eat the hot dogs. And why do they call it World series? This guys are stupid or what. If you want to be world champions why don't you play against teams like Japan, Cuba etc..
THAT IS MY OPINION ABOUT ALL THOSE THAT THINK SOCCER IS BORING.

I believe one of the biggest reasons that Soccer does not work I n this country is that the advertisers can not get there commercials to air. The world soccer union will never put up with a television time out like most American sports have... I lived overseas for almost 20 years and during sporting events there are not commercials per say they run scrolls advertizing beer and what not, on the bottom of the TV Screen…. That also is a reason we do not get to get another greater sport of RUGBY 7 or 11 man teams even Australia rule Rugby.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts