Why Squirrels? Why?

olliec420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Pensacola, FL
On my longest, hardest to maneuver cable run.
IMG_7507.jpeg

Lucky, I had a flickertail bite off the insulation of the electric line going into the house. One night we lost half the power, and after the electrician and power company investigated, they found a gopher hole about 3 feet from the transformer and sure enough, he was down there completely fried.

Reactions: olliec420
.410 shotgun will take care of any squirrels, very nicely. Otherwise you can do what I do: Buy a "Chipmunkinator" trap, (I had one for the last house, which was infested with chipmunks) load it with sunflower seeds, and catch them. Release them about 5 miles away. I've done that to 7 squirrels in the last 6 weeks alone.

So somebody about five miles away hates you now?

I figure if I killed them all off, more would move in, faster than I can kill them.

• Haha
Reactions: FTA4PA
Groundhogs are just as bad. I had my satelitewire cut twice with groundhogs. I had a few people save thier used cat litter until I had buckets of the stuff. When I buryed new wire i dumped the cat stuff in the trench and never had any more trouble. I also had a geo prizim that had the wires replaced 3 times. The last time I went in the house and saw a groundhog go under my car. It really made madd. Opend the hood and the groundhog was ready to chomp down on the wires. I gave him a karate chop and he crawled behind the engine. I tryed poking him with a stick but he wouldn,t get out of there. So I toke him for a ride and when things heated up He decided to get out of there when I stopped!!!!

• Wow
Reactions: polgyver and FTA4PA
Pet rabbits are way worse than a squirrel. My wife and daughter bought one . we had it about 6 years it passed away last year it was litter trained like a cat and they would let it run around the house but if you didn’t watch it would chew every wire in the house. One day I came home and the cable, phone, speaker wires and a few Ethernet cables were bit in half . Why didn’t he chew the nice 220 cable laying on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I have a problem with muskrats and my lake house. They get up in the transoms of pontoons and chew battery cables and wiring harnesses. They also chew the bellows on stern drive boats which can sink them.
Seems that the wire insulation is made from soy the the rodents like them.

One year I had some fresh peanut butter cookies on top of the refrigerator and a squirrel chewed a hole in the screen and took all my cookies. Too bad they were not medicated, squirrel would of really got the munchies.

Right now I'm fighting with pesky mice. Our house has a high roof line so there is a bonus room with doors on either side opening into the attic. Until recently we hadn't really used the bonus room space, but when the whole work from home thing started we converted it into a playroom for our daughter with office areas for my wife and I. To keep the climate control better we started leaving the door at the top of the bonus room stairs open. I got woke up by a commotion one night to find one of our cats chasing a mouse around the house. Took us three days to catch the rascal. I finally figured out that somehow he had gotten into the attic, come out of a tiny gap under the door into the bonus room and the cat chased it downstairs.

I put a security cameras up there because only a small portion of that side is floored so I could see what was going on and traps. We caught several, but there is at least one more we've seen on camera but who is smart enough to avoid the trap. Ended up hiring a professional company to come in and deal with it. They go around and seal every possible opening inside and outside, literally search the attic (insulation and all) for the little rascals, and come back on a weekly basis until there are no signs of them being left. After that they offer a year warranty.

For sure and that is where they like to go. The air filter box was a favorite spot for mice at my barn up north in both my summer car and snowmobiles.

You really by Lobdell Lake, and Bluegill Island? My sister and husband live in the Horseshoe Trails subdivision nearby, right by Buckbee Lake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts