Why the 30 mbps feeds causing my receiver to bog down?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

N5XZS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Trying to watch the collages basketball game last night.

The signal is fine at 71% on G 17 bird.

But when watching the game the videos freeze up after 10 or 15 seconds of nice smooth 60FPs 720p.

I went to menus mode and back to the game itself the video was smooth but freeze up again after 10 to 15 seconds.

The receiver I use are Micro HD.

Is the signal too rich to digest for my receiver?:rolleyes:

Are they using variable bite rate?:facepalm

Hard to say. What orbital location (I'm not going to do a search to find out where G 17 is) frequency, polarity, symbol rate?

ok, give me the other three bits and I will see if I can verify. I have a microHD.

Do you have the STB and TV set to native, automatic or manual resolution settings?

Some services and TVs have problems with specific manual, native or automatic settings. Try setting both the STB and the monitor to the native, automatic or different manual resolution setting modes and test.

My stb was set at 1080p 60 Hz, and will upconvert any 50 and 60 Hz video to my 46 inch 1080p Sony TV set.

There others feeds at 30 mbps has no problem.

The UNM Lobos's video were top notch at 720p but freeze up again after couple of seconds.

I think the feed was too rich for my receiver to digest.:p

Just because a manual resolution setting works on one service, it may have conversion issues on another. I recall these similar problems reported on the forum for a few of the NBC feeds and the Barrett Auto Auctions. Change the resolution settings on the STB and/or TV resolved the problem. I have one Samsung TV that will randomly freeze frame on several feeds when the STB is set to 1080p, but plays fine when set to 720p or 1080p is connected to another TV. Give it a try! :)

Well, this time I changed the video setting from 1080p to 1080I format did help somwhat and this time around there are less freezing videos.

I try to change to 720p but got worsened than1080p so I switched back to 1080I for the rest of UNM Lobos basketball game.:rolleyes:

The feed was 30 MBs on G 17 bird.

Very unlikely that this has anything to do with the transponder bandwidth as changing the output resolution on the service made a difference. I remain suspect of the resolution conversion and/or compatibility between the STB/TV or HDMI cable.

What was the native resolution of the feed? Are you able to manually set both the TV and the STB resolution? Might also test using a different HDMI cable or test with a different TV.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Depends on the link budget requirements for the broadcaster. Do they have downlinks for large display venues, need to minimize motion artifacts, use low ratio FEC or have other active PIDs in the TS? Not unusual to have SCPC HD feeds run 20-30mbps. Just depends how much detail you wish in the resolution, the audio and reliability.

Only the encode/decode parameter limits and the size of the checkbook determines what is overkill...

I don't suppose this could be an overheating issue? Haven't we run into that before with some of these STB's? My Micro HD went belly up a while back so unfortunately I can't test that feed.

I can't test it either because so far, OP has not mentioned the frequency or polarity, and "G17 Bird" I would have research to see what's the location.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)