why won't Dish fix their idiotic guide issues?

Despite all the complaints about this inferior EPG provider, nothing will change because their guide info is crap. The only real solution would be for Dish to go back to one of the better EPG providers. Tribune comes to mind, but i think Dish dumped them several years ago to save money.

Despite all the complaints about this inferior EPG provider, nothing will change because their guide info is crap. The only real solution would be for Dish to go back to one of the better EPG providers. Tribune comes to mind, but i think Dish dumped them several years ago to save money.
Not so much to save money but to avoid price gouging. If I recall correctly Tribune wanted to double their price.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Not so much to save money but to avoid price gouging. If I recall correctly Tribune wanted to double their price.
Is it price gouging if they provide a better service? I want to fly to Florida. I guess I could accuse the private plane industry of price gouging. After all, they should charge the same as commercial flights, right?

Is it price gouging if they provide a better service? I want to fly to Florida. I guess I could accuse the private plane industry of price gouging. After all, they should charge the same as commercial flights, right?
DISH had a contract with Tribune for many years and Tribune charged them a rate that made sense, undoubtedly increasing in small increments. Then Tribune came back with I want twice what you are paying me. I call that gouging.

DISH had a contract with Tribune for many years and Tribune charged them a rate that made sense, undoubtedly increasing in small increments. Then Tribune came back with I want twice what you are paying me. I call that gouging.
Oh. You're making up your own definition. Why didn't you say so?

Funny, anytime someone raises prices to Dish, it's always "twice the amount we've paid before". hmmm...

I think that Dish may have responded to complaints and forced the sub-contractor re-do the guide. It looks like the EPG descriptions are now real synopses instead of the one-sentence crap "Based on novel/short story/TV show,/play/idea/comic book/graphic novel/video game/..." that has been provided to Dish by the sub-contractor.

Now, I guess we wait for Dish to dump this cheap sub-contractor next month and go with an even cheaper one . . . :coco

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell
November 2021 -
Actually... they are moving over to a new provider, but its being done very slowly as there are a lot of moving pieces in the background that they need to make sure works well. :)

Sooooo - This is apparently the definitive definition of the DISH Soon™

? So far there has been no changeover. Scott's post was 6 months ago, I call that a DISH Soon™ :)
Yes, that IS a DiSH "soon". They were always telling the dealers this or that would be happening "in 2 weeks"....

And, yes, whenever they're going off about a vendor raising a rate, it's always that they've doubled. Not that some of them haven't done even worse, like locals owners, but Charlie just absolutely chisels on some things, while he raises his own rates quite freely.

The guide is ridiculous to the point of seriously undermining the utility of DVR, which is why most have Dish in the first place AND pay the DVR fee. Sure, you could have it try to record every instance of every possible episode, and then have to parse through all of the saved shows to find something not already watched, but who would do that? Darn few. What I really don't get is that some shows, such as "What on Earth" and "Abandoned" appear to be renumbering episodes well into the triple digits, when I know there haven't been nearly that many produced. Or they will double some reruns up into 2-hr block and give THAT a "new" episode #. They''ll be back to back like that, and some with different description and/or playing time will have same episode #, or the other way. I have to admit I totally don't get it. Unless maybe they ARE trying to mess with DVR use....

I just had an idea- is there still a PRINT guide available??

Guide is sometimes just wrong, I set the h3 to record a movie but the recording is something totaly different, but the recording is still in the DVR listed as the movie I wanted to record. What about recording the show in two pieces one 55 minutes the other 7-8 minutes for a one hour show..

• Sad
Houston is a mess:
11.4 (which carries CBS primary) has no listings (apparently the guide populates if you can receive 11.1)
20.1 shows the listings for 26.1 (Fox)
39.1 (WB) shows the listings for 2.1 (NBC)

• Sad
Actually... they are moving over to a new provider, but its being done very slowly as there are a lot of moving pieces in the background that they need to make sure works well. :)
Can we get any information on what the new guide will be like, whether it will fix any or all of the local guide issues, or the schedule for deployment?

Reactions: TheKrell and LQQK
I'll just add on here, my complaints, Last week I tried to record the Formula One race. I settled back and prepared to watch, and what do I see?
A baseball game!

As I fast-forwarded to see if at some point it was going to switch to what it said I was watching. Just before the recording ended, the race recording started.

On Saturday, I wanted to watch the sprint race that was part of the qualifying process. I even ran a search for it, I couldn't find it anywhere.

And finally, for YEARS, they have shown on the schedule that one of the local news channels and the national news are in the wrong order every Sunday.

I'll also mention that they are very lazy doing the program information on many movies. Not showing images of some actors or not showing the cast information at all when 2 minutes on the net would supply both.

Reactions: LQQK and MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Latest posts