why won't Dish fix their idiotic guide issues?

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
Tonight's new episode of The Curse of Oak Island didn't record. A quick comparison of the guide listings vs. an online list revealed the likely problem: the episode numbers, titles, and dates don't correspond! Next week's episode also has the wrong number and title, but so far *is* showing as scheduled to record. This is ridiculous.

I've missed F-1 recordings among others because of the guide/DVR being incorrect.

I get double recordings (set to only record NEW) all the time of a few programs, especially "The First [48]".

Checked all boxes (H3, 4KJs) to make sure everything is correctly set on my end + Updating The Guide on Saturday evening & Sunday mornings for our Sunday planned recordings which have some of our favorite programs scheduled.

Reactions: charlesrshell
With the vip211K there is a box that says record all episodes. Also a generic timer that you can set to record on any channel at any time. Does your receiver have such features?

Shame Dish won't pony up for a decent Guide Info provider...if there even is such a thing anymore. Even when everything records properly, episode numbers and air dates are wrong so often on the things I record that they have pretty much became useless.
Actually... they are moving over to a new provider, but its being done very slowly as there are a lot of moving pieces in the background that they need to make sure works well. :)

Tonight's new episode of The Curse of Oak Island didn't record. A quick comparison of the guide listings vs. an online list revealed the likely problem: the episode numbers, titles, and dates don't correspond! Next week's episode also has the wrong number and title, but so far *is* showing as scheduled to record. This is ridiculous.
They didn't find anything. They won't find anything in the next episode either... or the one after that...

I have seen this same thing - try to record something like Young Sheldon off of CBS, and the guide says "New" and the recording is set for a new episode, but about 1/2 the time the recording doesn't happen. The other thing I hope they can fix is since channels started sharing broadcast frequencies that we don't get the first channel on the frequency's programming guide for other channels on that same frequency.

With the vip211K there is a box that says record all episodes. Also a generic timer that you can set to record on any channel at any time. Does your receiver have such features?
I'm not sure if the Hopper still lets you set up a recording for a particular time slot. You can record all episodes, but the way some of these channels repeat episodes, you end up with a big pile of them in a week. Not to mention, if they've got the wrong number, name, or original air date on them, you still have to check them manually to make sure you're not missing one!

Actually... they are moving over to a new provider, but its being done very slowly as there are a lot of moving pieces in the background that they need to make sure works well. :)
Will this also mean correct and complete guide information for the ota guide as well? Hell if they would just use the same service as Sling tv I would love it. With Sling tv I get complete guide information for all my main ota and all my sub channels too.

As of last night, next week's episode is now NOT showing up correctly under my original timer. If I set a timer for "Digging Deeper", it gets it -- and luckily misses all the repeats of previous episodes because their titles are all mutilated to "Digg" or "Diggi" or some such...

Hey, interesting as I had noticed just TODAY how some of the INFO writing seemed very different from TiVo, and I wondered if Dish was moving to a new service because a lot of programs that had LOUSY, very useless INFO descriptions now have longer and USEFUL info descriptions.

Do you know who the NEW EPG data provider is? Is it Gracenote? I think TiVo and Gracenote are about the only options, but I thought I ran across a 3rd, but they seemed NOT to be in the business of providing to MVPD's

I can hardly wait to see a real difference with the new data. Too bad TiVo didn't take the time (and money) in these last years since they got almost all the MVPD's from Gracenote to make their EPG data better. Now, they lost Dish's business. I wonder who else TiVo lost because TiVo's EPG data was that BAD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)