Why won't my 721 spin down?

svenyonson

Aug 18, 2004
I bought a brand new 721 recently. It soon had problems ( wouldn't boot ). Dish replaced it with an older one ( with a VERY noisy disk drive ). The disk NEVER spins down like my 510. Sometimes I'll get a screen saver after a program is paused, but if I turn my TV off at night ( but not receiver ) in the morning when I turn receiver back on w/remote, I get grey fuzz on screen till I turn receiver on (w/remote). Two questions:

Shouldn't disk spin down if I turn off receiver w/remote or front panel?

Instead of grey fuzz, shouldn't I get a screen saver after long period of inactivity?

Thanks,

Steve

( Mean't to say: "in the morning when I turn my TV back on, I get grey fuzz on the TV until after I turn receiver on w/remote". I would have expected to see a screen saver.)

Welcome aboard! :)

I'm not sure if the 721 spins down or not. You might be hearing the fan. It'd be a good idea to check it's location for good cool air flow.

IIRC, the 721 doesn't have a screen saver (yet?).

The 721 does have a screensaver. A while back they disabled the screensaver but they brought it back in a later software update.

I think the screensaver only kicks in when the receiver is full on, and no buttons for >4 hours, IIRC.

There is a inactivity power off mode in preferences, which is the 4 hour thing.

I think my HDD does power down, but I can't hear it for sure.

The crazy screen saver even comes on at the signal strength screen, I discovered this today when I was adjusting my dish. Annoying to say the least.

svenyonson said:
I bought a brand new 721 recently. It soon had problems ( wouldn't boot ). Dish replaced it with an older one ( with a VERY noisy disk drive ). The disk NEVER spins down like my 510. Sometimes I'll get a screen saver after a program is paused, but if I turn my TV off at night ( but not receiver ) in the morning when I turn receiver back on w/remote, I get grey fuzz on screen till I turn receiver on (w/remote). Two questions:

Shouldn't disk spin down if I turn off receiver w/remote or front panel?

Instead of grey fuzz, shouldn't I get a screen saver after long period of inactivity?

Thanks,

Steve
Mine spins down when I put it in standby. It also does a pretty good job of going into standby when it is left unattended.

Thanks for all the replys. As I sit here typing, my 721 is whining and driving me crazy. From your posts I guess the 921 spins down properly.

I'd try to RMA this box, but fear I'd get one that is even older and more broken. ( I returned a BRAND NEW one and got this old klunker from Dish as a replacement ). I'm willing to buy a new hard drive ( same size ) if I knew that it would work. Anyone have any experience connecting the drive to a PC and ghosting the disk and then restoring on a fresh drive?

If you try to ghost it - let us know what it looks like.

One thing - with the 50x series, there's very few models of drives that will work. Your best bet is to get EXACTLY the same model (right down to the fine print).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts