Why would I want a superdish........

super dish is for looking at 3 sats at the same time. you only need it if your locals are on 121 and others are on 119 and 110

Wouldn't it be better to have a seperate dish per satellite to get the strongest possible signal for each one? I know it wouldn't look great, but one of my friends did this and while I lost a signal in bad weather, he was still able to watch shows.

Actually, in most cases, no. The reason is that the multi-slot dishes are larger and gather more signal for all the satellites they receive. This is not true in all cases, but in most of the contiguous US it is. A well-aimed Dish 500 generally gives you a 5-10% stronger signal than two separate Dish 300. The Dish 500 is a 20x18" dish. The Dish 300 is 18" round. I have no hard numbers on a SuperDish, but it would be better for 110/119 than a Dish 500.

Now if we are talking about 105 or 121, then yes a separate dish is better. Why? Because we would be talking about a separate 30" round dish as opposed to the smaller oval dish.

See ya
Tony

Actually,I have a duel lnb dish as a sprare and would like to get the"Pentagon" channel,which I already tested at 61.5,(AOK).Thought a superdish might pick it up.Guess Ill do without.

tripod said:
Actually,I have a duel lnb dish as a sprare and would like to get the"Pentagon" channel,which I already tested at 61.5,(AOK).Thought a superdish might pick it up.Guess Ill do without.

"Duel" refers to some sort of fight. Unless you have fighting LNBs, you don't have a duel LNB. You probably have a dual LNB. If you have the Pentagon Channel at 61.5, why do you want a SuperDISH? It's not on 105 or 121. You aren't making any sense.

You can't use a seperate dish for 105 or 121. These are FSS powered satellites. The legacy and DP LNB's won't pick up the 105 or 121 satellite. Legacy and DP LNB's work for DBS satellites.

joshschuler said:
You can't use a seperate dish for 105 or 121.

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't post. You just confuse the situation and people must come along and fix your errors. Confusing a newbie just compounds the issue. You're 100% wrong. You CAN use a separate dish for 105 or 121. You just can't use a small 18" dish. It must be 30" or bigger. You could have a DISH500 for 110/119 and a separate SuperDISH or compatible large dish to pick up 105 or 121. You can read some more details here. Is a Primestar dish a separate dish? Yup. Tony had already correctly addressed this issue. If you had read the entire thread, you would have seen it.

"DUAL" was the correct spelling.Sorry Im not as educated as you.I have a dual Lnb that I picked up 61.5 on a one time basis only.I do not know what I would need as far as equipment(is the spelling ok?),switches,etc. to receive it all the time.I have a Dish 500,but cant determine manufacturer(spelled correctly?),all it has printed on it is'Dish digital Lnb.

tripod said:
"DUAL" was the correct spelling.Sorry Im not as educated as you.I have a dual Lnb that I picked up 61.5 on a one time basis only.I do not know what I would need as far as equipment(is the spelling ok?),switches,etc. to receive it all the time.I have a Dish 500,but cant determine manufacturer(spelled correctly?),all it has printed on it is'Dish digital Lnb.

The duel vs. dual is a Nick-thing from DBSTalk. :)

tripod said:

:)

SimpleSimon and others are better to address equipment issues so I'll defer to them. I do know you'll need a switch with enough inputs for orbital locations. If you had 110, 119, and 61.5, you'd need a switch capable of three. If you need 121 or 105, you'll need different stuff. It would be best if you post (in as much detail as possible) what equipment you already have (switches, etc). Do you already have anything else?

You still aren't making sense with your info. You said you watched the Pentagon Channel at 61.5 on a "one-time basis" and now are asking what you need for 61.5. How did you get 61.5 when you watched the Pentagon Channel? Did you re-point your DISH500 there? Did you point your spare there? It sounds like you already have what you need since you've done it once before.

Chaddux, I think he wants to incorporate everything for seamless reception of 110/119/61.5 and possibly 105 or 121.

Tripod,

What channels do you want to subscribe to? Look at the channel chart and see what satellites they are coming from. Let us know what receivers you own or wish to own and this way we can better help you figure out what you need.

There are nothing but local channels at 105° so unless you live in one of the areas with locals at 105°, you can forget about it completely.

There are nothing but locals and international channels at 121° with the exception of a few business TV channels that are subscriber-specific, so unless you want one of the international channels that is not already at 61.5° or live in one of the cities with service from 121° then you can forget about 121°.

You can see what is available at 61.5° here or here.

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
Chaddux, I think he wants to incorporate everything for seamless reception of 110/119/61.5 and possibly 105 or 121.

He had 61.5 at one point so I didn't know how he did it then.

chaddux said:
If you don't know what you're talking about, don't post. You just confuse the situation and people must come along and fix your errors. Confusing a newbie just compounds the issue. You're 100% wrong. You CAN use a separate dish for 105 or 121. You just can't use a small 18" dish. It must be 30" or bigger. You could have a DISH500 for 110/119 and a separate SuperDISH or compatible large dish to pick up 105 or 121. You can read some more details here. Is a Primestar dish a separate dish? Yup. Tony had already correctly addressed this issue. If you had read the entire thread, you would have seen it.

How about you read the info on your own link. Yes, you can use a seperate dish, but where will you find an LNB for it? Primestar??? The Primestar dish is already as big as the Superdish.
@$$h0|#

You are now contradicting yourself Josh...

You can use any standard FSS LNB on any 30" dish to receive 121 or 105. There are several switch solutions for this as well.

See ya
Tony

Yeah, standard FSS LNB. I could find one of those......where exactly? That's right, on the super dish.
Seems like everyone here has such a short..... somethin'.
Yes, I was mistaken on the seperate dish issue. But that's the way I was trained. I was right about the LNB though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)