Wichita Hd Locals??? Whats the deal?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

loki993

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2009
Nw Kansas
Ok, Ive had Dish for about 4 monthss now and its ok. I loe the DVR and the HD PQ is great. What I dont like is Ive been having a pretty bad rainfade issue, hopefully fixed now, and My locals are not in HD. Fine I figured that the issue would be resolved soon, well now Im hearing that Dish has no plans to upgrade the Wichita Locals seemingly anytime soon. Does anyone have any ideas if they are going to do this sometime?? Im 5 hours away from Wichita and I have Wichita locals, im going to assume that probably all of western Kansas has them. Therefore there not only neglecting the Wichita market, but ALL of western Kansas. I dont understand this, I see smaller and smaller markets coning online with Hd locals and still no Wichita? Im a bit baffled, on this one. It would be one thing if they were working on it, but it seems like they are not. Ive been told that people have seem the planned activity out it September and there no mention of Wichita HD locals. whats the deal with this, it seems to me they they are pretty much ignoring what is probably a very large market when you count all the people that probably have Wichita locals.

Ok, Ive had Dish for about 4 monthss now and its ok. I loe the DVR and the HD PQ is great. What I dont like is Ive been having a pretty bad rainfade issue, hopefully fixed now, and My locals are not in HD. Fine I figured that the issue would be resolved soon, well now Im hearing that Dish has no plans to upgrade the Wichita Locals seemingly anytime soon. Does anyone have any ideas if they are going to do this sometime?? Im 5 hours away from Wichita and I have Wichita locals, im going to assume that probably all of western Kansas has them. Therefore there not only neglecting the Wichita market, but ALL of western Kansas. I dont understand this, I see smaller and smaller markets coning online with Hd locals and still no Wichita? Im a bit baffled, on this one. It would be one thing if they were working on it, but it seems like they are not. Ive been told that people have seem the planned activity out it September and there no mention of Wichita HD locals. whats the deal with this, it seems to me they they are pretty much ignoring what is probably a very large market when you count all the people that probably have Wichita locals.

I hear you ... my market has been on the Charlie Chat coming soon since November. Two months ago it was announced with 7 others coming early summer. The seven others are up. I am in the Quad Cities (Davenport, IA-Moline & Rock Island, IL). I too see lots of smaller markets going up. Don'tshow the slide that our locals are coming and then not turn us on!

Im on the other side of the state. Maybe well never get then out here :(:confused::mad: Im going to be totally honest if I dont have the locals in HD by September, I will be very upset, if not by the end of the year and I may have to look elsewhere. Its unacceptable to not have these channels in HD by this point or by the end of the year. I wouldn't be so bothered if it seemed like they were working on it, but all the indications I get is that they are not.

Im on the other side of the state. Maybe well never get then out here :(:confused::mad: Im going to be totally honest if I dont have the locals in HD by September, I will be very upset, if not by the end of the year and I may have to look elsewhere. Its unacceptable to not have these channels in HD by this point or by the end of the year. I wouldn't be so bothered if it seemed like they were working on it, but all the indications I get is that they are not.

Just a hunch.... but I don't see where they are going to add them as the only beam that covers that entire DMA is on E10 and is full of SD locals. I don't see them adding them to the beam that only covers part of that DMA, they don't want a repeat of Scranton, PA.

E14 will have a beam that covers your entire DMA but that doesn't go up until next year.

Few choices... OTA, "moving", sticking with SD, or looking at DirecTV(not sure if they have them in HD) or cable.

Just a hunch.... but I don't see where they are going to add them as the only beam that covers that entire DMA is on E10 and is full of SD locals. I don't see them adding them to the beam that only covers part of that DMA, they don't want a repeat of Scranton, PA.

E14 will have a beam that covers your entire DMA but that doesn't go up until next year.

Few choices... OTA, "moving", sticking with SD, or looking at DirecTV(not sure if they have them in HD) or cable.

Well at least thats an explanation of why we dont have them yet, so I thank you for that, I feel a little better now. But basically what your saying is unless they do something drastic we will not have HD locals until next year at the earliest in your opinion. I guess now I have some decisions to make.

Is there a time frame for E14 or do we just know next year?

I hear you ... my market has been on the Charlie Chat coming soon since November. Two months ago it was announced with 7 others coming early summer. The seven others are up. I am in the Quad Cities (Davenport, IA-Moline & Rock Island, IL). I too see lots of smaller markets going up. Don'tshow the slide that our locals are coming and then not turn us on!

I feel your pain here. I'm also in that DMA and I remember last year when they were listed on DISH's website as a HD local market that was coming soon. Then, after they never showed up, on the next Retailer Chat they received no mention, but were still on the web page. Eventually the web page was updated and they disappeared.

A few retailer chats ago (or maybe it was at Team Summit or something) they said "end of summer", but they weren't announced in anything related to June/July/August launches, so I guess we'll just keep on waiting.

And my hopes aren't too high, not sure how up to date they keep their webpage, but this doesn't look too promising: DISH Network - TurboHD Local Channels - 1.888.825.2557

May I ask where in Central West KS? I live in Hays and was wondering how your reception is. Looking at the spotbeam map it looks like it should be okay, but I'm not sure. I've been considering the same thing--have had Dish for 14 months now and am sick of waiting for Wichita to come on line.

Wichita HD

Anymore updates on when we in western Kansas will get Wichita HD? Unless they slide them into Nimiq5....

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang, here goes. This is one of my hot buttons and have to get on my soap box. sorry. 95% of the DMA population lives well within spotbeam 29. I have been with dish since the mid 90's. I moved off a farm and into town about 3 years ago but the the local cable was too small for an HD/DVR offering so i naturally kept dish. Well that has changed and right now the only reason I haven't switched is out of loyalty but that loyalty is getting very thin. This whole DMA crap has had me bent since they switched us off the East/West cost stations anyway. They should work this out yesterday. It's not our fault the DMA is so large in area. Heck Wichita stations have repeaters to get a signal to the western part of the state.

I'm sure their plan is to put Wichita HD's on E*14, which would be around April/May 2010 if everything goes right. If things DON'T go right, they may have a backup plan to either serve the market temporarily from a CONUS bird (I hope not!) or, I suppose they could upgrade everyone in the market to MPEG4 and get rid of the SD locals on E*10. I doubt that they would do either of those, but anything's possible. I DO feel bad for you - I grew up in central KS.

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)