Not open for further replies.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Welcome to the Widgets Open CE Testing : AKA Widgets Testing Phase 2.

This phase of the Widget testing is available to all CE Users, that are active participants at one of the CE discussion forums.
In order to participate, you must submit your DIRECTV.COM login information to:
http://www.iamanedgecutter.com/Projects/WidgetsCE/default.aspx
For anyone that hasn't registered for widgets yet, please include your forum name on the registration - it makes it much easier for DirecTV to tie issues to receivers/accounts.

There are multiple pieces to the trial, but first some information.

-) All aspects of the widgets are classified as CE versions.
This means that the software is solid, stable, but is still being developed and enhanced.
There may be times when the website is shutdown, restarted, or just unavailable.
There also may be times when we have to clear out the head-end database. So please understand that before continuing with the trials.

-) The CE rules apply to this trial. Discussion about Widgets must remain in the CE forums as designated by the moderators of your site.
Do not contact DIRECTV customer support via any method: email, phone, forums.directv.com, snail-mail, twitter, facebook, ect about Widgets.

If you have any issues, post them in the appropriate threads on your forum site.

-) Please read all the license agreements that you will have to accept on the website. We highly recommend that you do not just “accept” them to speed up the signup process.

-) Please report issues and errors, even if you think they are small. Include as much information as possible.
Very important when reporting issues about the website, that you include your OS, Browser Software, and Browser Version (even if it is a BETA version) with any error message.
Screen shots and Videos are also very helpful, if it is difficult to express in typed word.

-) Features that you think are missing or think should be changed, should be posted in the discussion threads or in areas that your moderators dictate.

Enabling Widgets on your DVR:
Widgets are only available on the HR2* and the R2* series. (They are not available on the D1*, H2*, R*, or any other DIRECTV DVR)

You must be at a minimum software version 0x12A, but it is highly recommend that you are running the latest CE version.
See your forum FAQs on information on how to download the CE versions if you don’t know.

To enable widgets:
Keyword Search: WIDGETSON

After enabling, with a full video display (either live or playback), use the RIGHT arrow key/button to display your Widgets dock.

Accessing the Widgets User configuration pages:

Via your computer (the site is not designed for mobile access), load up the URL
http://widgets.directv.com

Use the DIRECTV.COM login that you provided when signing up, and the corresponding password to access the site.

Follow the appropriate prompts to complete your setup.

You now will have access to add Widgets to your systems.

Creating Widgets:
There are three types of widgets:
1) DIRECTV Created
2) End User Created, using the DIRECTV WDK
3) End User Created, using custom programming

Currently the WDK is not available. We are expecting to have the WDK available to the CE before Thanksgiving.
We will provide and update before Thanksgiving on the status of the WDK.

However, you can still create Widgets.
There are only a few requirements and you can create your own widgets.
1) You need to have a internet publicly accessible hosting site that accepts an HTTP request.
2) Your URL accepts parameters (if necessary) via an HTTP QUERYSTRING method: example: http://mysite.com/widget.php&myparm1=foo
3) The output of your page is an PNG image, that is 400x300
4) Your Widget content conforms to the rules you agreed to when signing up. All Widgets are subject to DIRECTV approval, before being made available.

Those are the only requirements.
You can use ANY language or technology on your website. PHP, ASP.NET, ASP Classic, JAVA, anything you want.

Again, thank you for participating in the Widgets Open CE Field Trials.
Please report any issues and feedback in the areas designated at your forum site.

--------

This thread will be used for reporting Issues only with the Widget function on the receiver, or the Widget website.

There is a seperate thread for discussion, including the individual widgets, widget creation, etc.

Widgets Testing: CE 02:02

Widgets Testing CE 02:02

Widgets.directv.com updates
-> Accounts with multiple usernames should now allow logins with both names
-> New CE users have been added to the list (Up to # 1125)

Widgets Service
-> Better compatibility with RSS feeds
-> Lottery background changed

Widget SDK
The new version of the WSDK is now available.
If you downloaded the old one, or obtained it from another source, it is not compatible and is not supported.
There is no way to migrate the work you did in a previous WSDK, to the new one.

Known Issues with WSDK-> The power user widget functionality may have difficulties publishing.
-> Browser compatibility issues; Please post Browser Type and Version number when reporting issues
-> Occasionally it will publish a widget twice

Note: The DIRECTV administration side of widgets is also going through it’s internal CE testing as well.
This is the process that is used to review and approve your submitted widgets.
So it will take a little bit longer for widgets to be approved and made available to everyone.

Number 718.

It says "The account does not contain compatible network enabled receivers ".

It doesn't list any receivers in the drop down menu.

I have a HR-22

HR20-700 I get widgets "coming soon" on my TV. When I go to the widget website no receiver listed in drop down box.

Why still no HR receivers in the list? Both my H23's show up, but my HR22's do not.

Why still no HR receivers in the list? Both my H23's show up, but my HR22's do not.

This was a problem last week also, that many people had. Directv probably doesn't work on the Widgets during the weekends and they also had last Thursday and Friday off. I am thinking that they will have the fixed again on Tuesday or Wednesday. Check the Widgets site during the week.

Q.
When you add a Widget, it asks you what rec you want it on, when I went to add one, the rec's I have were not pre-populated, would I just add in the model or the rec id ...
Also, once you add a widget, how do you remove one ?

I would like to find one that does a local doppler with automation, I saw one the other day supported by Yahoo, but don't know if that would work in this type of application, it would have to have selectable zip code for designating the local your in.
Is this type of thing possible on the D* rec's ?

Jimbo

Status
Not open for further replies.