wierd problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tcb

Original poster
May 30, 2006
A friends receiver went out, she ordered a new one.( standard directv)It worked good first nite, but they undone the cable to reroute it when they reconnected it they couldnt get anything but searching for data. They purchased new expensive cable and still get same thing. They replaced LNB, still same thing.They brought it to my house and tried it and it work fine, but returned it to thier house and still get searching for data from satellite.

Is there a multiswitch in the mix? If so, did you/they try and bypass it to see if it made any difference?

And, out of curiosity, when they unplugged the coax to reroute it, did they make sure the power was unplugged from the receiver(s) before doing so?

they said there is no multiswitch. Dont remember for sure if they unplugged it the first time undone it to reroute or not.

only one receiver, They always had good signal, it was working when they decided to reroute cable. could the signal somehow changed after months, the dish is on a pole concreted in ground.

I bet some kid or something bumped it.

tcb said:
A friends receiver went out, she ordered a new one.( standard directv)It worked good first nite, but they undone the cable to reroute it when they reconnected it they couldnt get anything but searching for data. They purchased new expensive cable and still get same thing. They replaced LNB, still same thing.They brought it to my house and tried it and it work fine, but returned it to thier house and still get searching for data from satellite.

Did they make sure to NOT have it plugged into the wall while connecting any of the cables? Not sure if it has been said but you can short out parts.

easy way to check for voltage w/o a meter...

plug the reciever end, go out to the lnb, put your tongue on the wire, if you get shocked(its only 13 or 18v-not enough to kill you-i do it all the time) then the line is good. if you get voltage, i would assume dish realignment or lnb. if you dont get voltage, then check all of the fittings(for fray touching copper conductor) and make sure that they plugged the cable wire into the outlet that it was initially installed at.

how do you know the lnb is good? if your friends reciever works at your house, chances are its not ird related and is wiring/fitting/lnb/realign issue...

thatleadtechnician said:
easy way to check for voltage w/o a meter...

plug the reciever end, go out to the lnb, put your tongue on the wire, if you get shocked(its only 13 or 18v-not enough to kill you-i do it all the time)

Ow, so, what happens if someone messed up the dwellings wiring and (mis)grounded the dish/eq to that hot (as in live) ground? That can't be good, I'd suggest sticking to a voltmeter instead, they are much cheaper than a trip to the emergency room, or morgue. ;)

damaged said:
Ow, so, what happens if someone messed up the dwellings wiring and (mis)grounded the dish/eq to that hot (as in live) ground? That can't be good, I'd suggest sticking to a voltmeter instead, they are much cheaper than a trip to the emergency room, or morgue. ;)

in all my years doing this, this has happened to me twice. both times, i was shocked as i touched the wiring with my hand. obviously, if a wire shocks you picking it up, youre probably not going to put it on your tongue. theres a 99.9999% chance that it wont have a hot ground, but perhaps there will be some that will say that a .00001% is enough to go out and get a voltmeter. voltmeter or tongue method, either way will rule out the wiring or the lnb.

You know, I accidentally hooked the wrong cable to my receiver one time. It was the terrestrial antenna. The receiver didn't like that, it reported a shorted line. I changed cables and all was well. Now this was an older Sony, do the current receivers not do that? The point of this question is that if they did, then I would think they would alert you if there was an issue with the cable being shorted.

Thanks for all the info. If it ever stops raining here they are going to try all the above. Sure hope something works for them, No TV for them means no rest for me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)